Fordmods Logo

Found this in my exhaust? Help? 

Page 1 of 5 [ 62 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Found this in my exhaust? Help?
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Just found this in my exhaust, anyone know what it is? Something from the engine or is someone messing with my car? Seems very strange.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post subject: Re: Found this in my exhaust? Help?
Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If they look abit like honeycomb pieces then that will be from your cat. Im on my phone and cant really see them properly. But looks like it to me

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

me too wasent sure enough to be the 1st though.
Try banging on your cat with your hand and see if you can hear things rattle in there. If not do the same on your muffler/s. Make sure there not hot when you do it though..........

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Yeah like honey comb pieces little holes all the way through.. So is this bad? Does it mean i'm gonna need a new cat or exhaust? I'm pretty sure the previous owner said it had a lukey cat exhaust. So on it's way out im guessing?

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

Defiantly part Of the catalyst. It'd be rattleing like a b**ch

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im on the computer now., thats the internals from a cat. wheather or not its from the one on it is something you have to check, as said before, bang the cat with your hand if it rattles, its stuffed, otherwise you might have to pull it out to check, plus bits like that have stuffed/blocked rear mufflers, so might be up for a complete system

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

are you sure he didnt say a lukey cat back exhaust?

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thteddieboii wrote:
Yeah like honey comb pieces little holes all the way through.. So is this bad? Does it mean i'm gonna need a new cat or exhaust? I'm pretty sure the previous owner said it had a lukey cat exhaust. So on it's way out im guessing?

Id say Lukey cat back. The extent of you cat's cost depend on if you have the stock headers or extractors.
I think your cars now unroadworthy as the man dont like cat issues. If its a stock headers setup then wrecker it and it should be a quick easy cheap fix. If its extractors then if you dont weld, make friends with someone who does.
New cats off ebay are cheap, high flow cat is always a replacement option just depends on your funds

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
me too wasent sure enough to be the 1st though.
Try banging on your cat with your hand and see if you can hear things rattle in there. If not do the same on your muffler/s. Make sure there not hot when you do it though..........

I'm not really mechanically minded so wouldn't have a clue where the cat is hahaha, trying to read up a bit here on the forums so i can learn more. Yeah ill try on the mufflers and see if it rattles.

Pakrat wrote:
Defiantly part Of the catalyst. It'd be rattleing like a b**ch

Yeah it has a bit haven't really noticed as the a/c compressor is stuffed and its that noisy car can only be driven about 40 mins or so before it starts really misbehaving. So ill get that fixed and im guessing im looking at a new cat/exhaust system next?

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Everyone has to start somewhere. The cat, if you look on the drivers side of the engine thats the exhaust side. The pipes out that side will join to one pipe that leads under the car and there will be a muffler shaped thing near the fire wall ( metal between the engine and interior). It will be bigger than most mufflers but thats you cat converter.
My advise, by a Gregorys and read it front to back. It will not only teach you about your car but will give you info that will help you understand how a car works

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
im on the computer now., thats the internals from a cat. wheather or not its from the one on it is something you have to check, as said before, bang the cat with your hand if it rattles, its stuffed, otherwise you might have to pull it out to check, plus bits like that have stuffed/blocked rear mufflers, so might be up for a complete system

Yeah where do i find the cat? Might have to get a mate to have a look.. I would have no idea what im doing.
79raven wrote:
thteddieboii wrote:

Id say Lukey cat back. The extent of you cat's cost depend on if you have the stock headers or extractors.
I think your cars now unroadworthy as the man dont like cat issues. If its a stock headers setup then wrecker it and it should be a quick easy cheap fix. If its extractors then if you dont weld, make friends with someone who does.
New cats off ebay are cheap, high flow cat is always a replacement option just depends on your funds

Yeah just found the original ad for the car, had the details saved on the computer. It says lukey cat back exhaust system, nothing about headers at all there so hoping they are stock. Its not gonna matter if its an xr6? No difference? Will have a look on ebay. Cheers for helping out mate :)

79raven wrote:
Everyone has to start somewhere. The cat, if you look on the drivers side of the engine thats the exhaust side. The pipes out that side will join to one pipe that leads under the car and there will be a muffler shaped thing near the fire wall ( metal between the engine and interior). It will be bigger than most mufflers but thats you cat converter.
My advise, by a Gregorys and read it front to back. It will not only teach you about your car but will give you info that will help you understand how a car works

Ok will go out and have a look. And keep you guys updated. Yeah sounds like a good idea mate. Cheers for all the help guys.

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

nope no difference between xr6 and stock

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

This is the cat right?

Just banged both the cat and the muffler and no rattling noises.. Also how can i tell if i have stock extractors or not?

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hmmm looks strange like its some kind of aftermarket not 110% sure anyone else comment?

there a PITA to gut on these falcon's need welding skills just to gut the cat what kind of cars are these doh!

Posted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thats the cat, and thats not standard, someone has welded it in so the bit you found may have been part of the old one. extractors look like 6 individual pipes coming out of the engine going into either 3 pipes or 2. then one. standard manifold comes out and goes into one pipe. take a pic and we can tell you., also can you take a pic just back from your cat to see if the standard flange is still there otherwise youll have to weld one on to fit a stock 2nd hand one

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next