Front crank seal removal 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Front crank seal removal
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I have to do the harmonic and front crank seal soon. The seals leaking slightly and the rubbers coming out the front of the harmonic. I have a Powerbond Harmonic and crank seal here, but I am sure we all know Im not in the best shape..... Ive done plenty of Harmonic Balancers before, but never a crank seal. I have read the manual and just want to verify getting the crank seal out without too much extra strain on the body.
I will be doing one on my Ef Fairmont i6 auto and plan to leave the radiator in to save effort. I was going to do the crank engine to remove bolt trick ( as I have done this before), but I am worried about getting the right torque on the Balancer bolt so I am going o remove the starter motor.
The crank seal, I have heard they are a b**ch and really dont want to stuff anything up. I decided to call about the correct remover tool. I called Scotts, they gave me Sydney tools number and they told me to try Repco. Called Repco and they have a bearing and seal removal tool thats about $30 odd. Is it worth buying this or is it not that hard?
I do have a little flat head I was thinking of using. Its head is about 5mm wide and the body of the screw driver is thin yet strong, meaning it will be hard to bend if needed but will provide support for leverage. Will this work?

Post subject: Re: Front crank seal removal
Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

When you remove the HB bolt you will quickly (less than 1 second) crank the engine over so that you can break the seal of the bolt. There is NO need to remove the starter motor to do this.

Any universal HB removal tool should be able to remove the HB from your EF/EL. Repco, Burson's SuperCheap etc will all have this tool. I bought myself a Stanley universal HB removal kit. Cost me about $30 from Auto Pro. You will need to purchase 2 extra long bolts however (you will see why if you buy the kit).

The seal can be a bit of a pain to remove however a hammer & a strong screwdriver will fix that up.
Doesn't matter if you end up smashing the old seal out (you wont be using it again anyways).

When you insert the seal back into the front of the engine just make sure you lube the inside rubber really well & also your HB outer part (the part that will be rubbing on to the front main seal rubber - if you neglect this then the friction caused will = more oil leaks - I learnt this the hard way).

Tapping the front seal in may be a slight issue but tap around it gently & evenly & it should go into place eventually.

As for the HB bolt & torque settings - a bit of medium thread lock (loctite) will do the trick. Remember that the HB spins the same way as if the HB bolt is being tightened so it should never come loose. Also when you tighten the HB bolt once the motor starts to spin just use a hammer & hit the wrench (or what ever tool you're using) to give it that extra bit of tightening strength.

Last edited by Shen Long on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:37 am 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

double post :roll:

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Yeah I have a HB puller and all other tools needed to do the job except a seal puller. I read in my manual about being careful when removing the seal as you can damage the timing cover if your not careful, and I dont want to pull the engine out if this happens. Is the timing cover that fragile or will it be ok if I am a bit forceful?

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:18 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

of course it is, it is made out of alloy metal & not steel or iron.

just dont use the timing case cover as your method of trying to remove the seal.

With a screwdriver hit the seal so that you are hitting down on it (making sure that the screwdriver doesnt hit/touch the timing case).

In all essence the timing case damage is only possible if you're using it as a method to pivot the screwdriver & the seal.

You should by no means need to hit/touch the timing case at all. It's not entirely that close that you really have to be 1000% on alert. It's within the vicinity & you just have to be mindful that it can get damaged.

Just be really careful & you will have no issues. It takes around 10 - 20 minutes to remove a front main seal (if you have no experience - a lot less with having done it before & knowing what to do & what to look out for).

For me, i just hit the screwdriver through the main seal & few times & then it wedged in hard enough for it to be able to move out fairly easily.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: S1 eb 5speed

NSW, Australia

If you're worried about stuffing something up I'd remove the radiator. Don't wanna put a hammer through it.
If you're worried about un doing, doing up the harm buy yourself a power bar. Won't use it often but it'll pay for it's self when you don't round the bolt using the engine to crack it.

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Pakrat wrote:
If you're worried about stuffing something up I'd remove the radiator. Don't wanna put a hammer through it.
If you're worried about un doing, doing up the harm buy yourself a power bar. Won't use it often but it'll pay for it's self when you don't round the bolt using the engine to crack it.

agree, when you swing your hand with the hammer attached you always seem to hit the radiator no matter what. you always need that bit of extra power.

remove the radiator - much easier in the end.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]