Fuel Efficiency 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Fuel Efficiency
Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: VT S PACK

VIC, Australia

Does anyone know a way fairly cheap to get better fuel efficence off an EF without a gas conversion. I was thinking about selling my EF to go for a small 4cyl but i love my car too much. Any idea's?

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

no there's nothing that's gunna turn a bit 6 into a small 4 sorry mate. extractors, exhaust, CAI a suitable cam can help but they ain't gunna work wonder magic!

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:56 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

what about one of those multi spark thingies which make the spark plug spark twice? doesnt that increase fuel efficiency?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Get a engine vacuum gage. if you keep the needle on the green it suppose to save fuel as it shows you the right amount of throttle positioning. if the needle is on the orange or red it means you're to hard on the throttle.

I installed one on my 2 previous cars, I got used to it it became second nature. now I relay on my rev counter. at 60kpm the revs should be between 1100-1200rpm on O/D. 100kpm it should be between 1850- 1950rpm on O/D.

I don't know if it'll work on map sensored cars.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:32 am 
Fordmods Addict

Ride: BA XR6T

VIC, Australia

just drive a little gentler. dont take off from the lights so hard. read the road ahead, if a light turns red ahead of u, come of the throttle quickly and roll to a stop instead of slamming on the brakes at the last minute.
remove dead weight from the car like toolboxes and stuff. make sure ur tyre pressures are right.

little things like that can all help but really unless u were to get a really small car like a fiesta or something i dont think there would be much of a difference. i read somewhere that a 4cyl camry uses about 5 dollars less petrol a week than a ba. for the sake of 5 bucks i know which id rather be driving.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

SA, Australia

yea but thats based on an auto camry

went driving in my mates dawoo lanos with a huge cannon lol, did 100km of town driving, and it was being flogged constantly we went an filled up at the end of the night an it took less than $10 in fuel, i was impressed as if i were to go driving round town all night an flog the f**k out of my car id use easily 30 or maybe even 40 worth of fuel. i know id much rather drive my car too but it just costs way too much to run

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

get lpg if you want cheaper running.
the only thing is that the new generation gas injection multipoint systems are only available for newer model cars, BA/BF, Territory.... Oh well needed an excuse to update anyway LOL
You can find secondhand systems on ebay or the wreckers. I think you could insatl it and have it checked and complianced for under a grand. My LPG system was fitted pre-devivery by the Ford dealer (NEW OAKLEIGH MOTORS) and is getting tired but still worksfine for driving. just crap idle which will be fixed by a new stepper motor for the converter.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:16 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Yeah definately what Mash85 said. If you see a red light ahead slow right down straight away and hopefully you'll still be rolling by the time it turns green.

Keep of peoples asses so you don't have to slow down/speed up with them, but rather maintain a constant speed.

Remember everytime you use the brakes, your going to have to speed back up again. This is why city driving kills fuel economy.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

fairmont599 wrote:

went driving in my mates dawoo lanos with a huge cannon lol, did 100km of town driving, and it was being flogged constantly we went an filled up at the end of the night an it took less than $10 in fuel, i was impressed as if i were to go driving round town all night an flog the f**k out of my car id use easily 30 or maybe even 40 worth of fuel. i know id much rather drive my car too but it just costs way too much to run

well yeah like i said, if you were to go down to a smaller car like a fiesta (which the lanos is) ud see a noticeable difference. but in the end, u gotta weigh up whether ur willing to pay for the advatages the ford offers (space, power, greater safety) or if u want to settle for a much smaller car and reap the benefits of greater efficiency.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I have the exact same problem because income isint too great for a 16 year old. But still id rather drive my falcon then my friends 84 Astra. The astra is still fun to drive but u can have more fun in a mighty falcon and i feel safer knowing the fact if we f**k up we are going to live.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Remember the repair costs and parts for those little imported cars are also much higher than Flacons.
Also your comparing flogging a falcon to flogging a Lanos, that's an unfair comparison, flogging a lanos is comparable to driving the falcon on half throttle (as both would be accelerating about equally as fast now) which would help the falcon be a bit more fuel economic...

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:46 pm 
Fordmods Addict

VIC, Australia

lol. flogging the s**t out of a little car is still more fun than driving a falc at half throttle. just like punting a go kart around is fun, even tho ur actually going quite slowly.

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

fairmont599 wrote:

You admit to driving around in a Dawoe , with a cannon, flogging it, which would have made heaps of ricey noise!!!!!!!!!! did you have your arm out the window, and sitting right back in the seat as well???

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

stomper wrote:
I have the exact same problem because income isint too great for a 16 year old.

your worried about fuel at 16? you can't be doing that many k's a week

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Slick wrote:
Get a engine vacuum gage. if you keep the needle on the green it suppose to save fuel as it shows you the right amount of throttle positioning. if the needle is on the orange or red it means you're to hard on the throttle.

I installed one on my 2 previous cars, I got used to it it became second nature. now I relay on my rev counter. at 60kpm the revs should be between 1100-1200rpm on O/D. 100kpm it should be between 1850- 1950rpm on O/D.

I don't know if it'll work on map sensored cars.

Bloody good idea. I have the vac/psi gauge for the blwoer and find if i can keep 10inches of vacuum in the manifold then fuel economy is reasonable.

Also, keep tyre pressures up. Service transmission regularly... but, short of performing a miracle an EF will not be economical on fuel. Ever :)

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next