Fordmods Logo

Fuel Filter Change IMPOSSIBLE? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel Filter Change IMPOSSIBLE?
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XT '02

NT, Australia

First of all YES i used to god damn search button but all i get are answers that are half answering what i need...

im trying to change my fuel filter and i just came back from trying to take the old one off.. i really need in depth instructions on how-to change it because i just tried undoing the nuts with two spanners i put on on the actual filter then one spanner on the fuel line nut and tried twisting... but nothing happened, it appears it's on super tight and i don't know what to do.

and by the way, where the hell is the fuel reg or pump that i need to disconnect so most of the fuel is out of the lines? everyones answers says that.. but no one says where it is unless i missed a thread...

help please? :)

Holden = Hope Our Luck Doesn't End Now

Post subject: Re: Fuel Filter Change IMPOSSIBLE?
Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

pull the fuel pump relay out and then start the car. it'll stall after a few seconds.

with undoing the filter are you swinging the spanners the right way. also they will be f**k tight because if they aren't f**k tight they leak

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

im pretty sure i am... lefty loosy righty tighty? ill try again tomorrow or something

and where is the fuel pump relay... ?

thanks hehe

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Yes lefty loosy, righty tighty...however the nut is the one that you need to turn left while the fuel filter sits still or turned right. I found it easier when you place the spanners on the nut so that they together form a V shape when looking head on, close enough to each other to grasp with one hand. Then squeeze the spanners together, effectively turning the nut to the left and the fuel filter steady. It is recommended that you use the plumbers spanner thing...that way you won't round the nut off, however I have managed to replace my fuel filter many times with a standard open ring spanner.

Fuel pump relay is located in the engine bay under the radiator bottle.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Yes lefty loosy, righty tighty...however the nut is the one that you need to turn left while the fuel filter sits still or turned right. I found it easier when you place the spanners on the nut so that they together form a V shape when looking head on, close enough to each other to grasp with one hand. Then squeeze the spanners together, effectively turning the nut to the left and the fuel filter steady. It is recommended that you use the plumbers spanner thing...that way you won't round the nut off, however I have managed to replace my fuel filter many times with a standard open ring spanner.

even on a BA? or is he talking about another model?

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:52 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

WILDEB wrote:
phongus wrote:

even on a BA? or is he talking about another model?

I swear I removed that last bit when I went back to check what model it is...GRRR. Not sure where it is in the BA...but I would assume under the hood...

EDIT: did a quick search and found this.

Quote:
PART NUMBER: ER19W572A

DESCRIPTION: Fuel pump relay

COMMENTS: Located in the engine bay fuse box

PRICE: $6

AVAILABLE FROM: Ford

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i thought so

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:21 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ford have a habit of cross threading and doing the nuts up too f**k tight on these fuel filters from the factory, and consequently f**k the thread for good. And when you try to remove it, it feels like its near impossible to do.

This is a factory standard option on about 50% of the cars that left the assembly floor, so don't be upset.

To get mine out, I had to remove the lines and filter from the car as a whole and angle grind the ends off the filter to release the tension, only to find out the threads on the flare nut were rooted anyways... So it was off to Ford for replacement lines. Cost about $42 from memory, and had no choice. They are that popular a replacement part because of this problem that most dealers keep the lines in stock at all times.

So just be awares that you may end up with the same problem and you'll have to buy new lines from Ford.

Also, there is a 20A fuse in the engine bay fuse panel that you can pull to turn off the pump. Then start (or try start) the car to relieve the pressure.

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

yeah guys.. uhhh i don't think ill be able to get it off myself haha i just booked it in for ford.. $50 to get it replaced ehh.. but oh well theres nothing i can do. the flare nut is on way too tight and it's seriously not budging.. ive even had another mate try and have a go and yeah we are turning the right way. the god dam thing just aint moving, i can hear it laughing at me.

:( but hey... least its not $100 to fit it. :D

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If its like every other one seized one, it will be more than $50 to fit it... But see how it goes.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]