Post subject: Re: Fuel Injectors
Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

cjh wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:
cjh, that is a very handy tool you have made up to remove the retaining ring!! That would make the job a million times easier. We had to resort to a large flat head screw driver and a hammer when we replaced the pump and sender unit in the old man's XR6 :lol:

Also with regards to your earlier post about the 5.0 V8 injectors, which model was it? I think the std 5.0 injectors are 19lb so not much difference from std in the e-series i6's, AU XR8's got the 24lb injectors though from memory.

That was a Holden VR Statesman, 5.0 V8. I noticed they were the NON pintle type....swash-plate type with 4 little holes, like an AU injector.....and has the same connecter as the Ford.

They will be a bosch type injector, and more than likely the same std packaging as the ford injector, so should be a simple slot & plug in job.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Haha. Well we've gone from one end of the car to another from injectors to pump ring removal tools.
BUT on the injector side, when I worked at repco I called up AZNUE injector mob and asked them about this subject.
According to them.
Vs V6 commodore (I think off an ecotec motor, but jus check em out) and
Tr-ts Mitsubishi magna 4cyl efi versions
both have injectors that have the same housing as ea-Ed (I'm not 100% if ef-el are same body too)
but the have a flow rate 10% higher than the falcn ones.
I put a set of vs injectors on my Lane when the only "mod" was a pod filter and noticed what I can describe as "slight over fuelling" with it bogging down with full throttle from stand still but as the revs built it cleared and did pull a bit more in the high range.
I reckon with a exhaust, and a big cam and some engine work to need the extra fuel and there is probably a lot of potential for these as an easy add on, especially for the N/A engines...
Also he never mentioned AU ones (I think they have same flow rate anyway) and I thought ba ones where different housing?
I had 2 rails set up when I was experimenting One with commy injectors and one with STD, and 7 10mm bolts and I can swap them in 15 minits.
I got the injectors for free off a mates motor with the standard "DOK DOK DOK" bottom end, an put a new set of O-rings on them.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hi

which injectors are best out of au injectors, magna 4 cyl or v6 injectors and holden ones

just wondered

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:59 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

fairmont1 wrote:
hi

which injectors are best out of au injectors, magna 4 cyl or v6 injectors and holden ones

just wondered

for a std engine, the au 6 cyl ones are the best..
the other ones are a tad to much. all you will find is the car will use more fuel..

Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Yeah, AU ones are STD flow rate but have a better spray so the fuel atomizes better an burns better

Magna/V6 ones are both the same body, with the higher flow.

If there is any difference in performance between the EA/ED and AU ones it would be minimal
but technically speaking, with a better spray pattern they can't be a step backwards.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

I wonder if the magna injectors would be a good upgrade on an engine with intake & exhaust mods, but still a stock cam?

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Well. Apparrenty the magna/v6 ones are the same, I just went for the commy ones cos it as easier than finding 2 magnas. Also magna ones are more expensive at the wreckers...I wonder why?. Anyhow, the first time I tried, The 3.9 MPFI only had a pod filter, with a 3in mandrel bent 90 degree pipe for intake, I had a set of the Bosch super four plugs (not even worth it personally), a set of 8.8mm top gun leads and a Bosch GT40 coil. Stock exhaust and everything else.
With that setup and the commy injectors on there was little difference at startup and idle, reving the engine though did show a little bit of low down range bogging, a slight sputter, and darker smoke too.
I could feel this even wen driving, from a 10kmh roll, a WOT boot would bog a little but it cleared over 3000 rpm a little and seemed to go harder. It sat in a burnout a little better when in the high rev range.
After putting some extractors and a 2.5 in system on it I put the commy rail on it again jus to give it a test, I couldn't pick much of a difference over the first trials really, and I think only a dyno test would have been able to show if there was.
That's my experimenting/rambling on them anyhow. As I said before I think there is a lot of potential for them. For a budget turbo build, or a N/A setup with a hotter engine to take a just a bit more fuel.
I'm gonna be experimenting more in the future as I find more things to upgrade on.
I'm looking into a el hybrid engine, an some head work.
Well see how that goes.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon EL Option 20

QLD, Australia

Just a comparison of the two injectors in case anyone was wondering the difference.

One thing I noticed the AU injector (on the Right) was a lot smaller/thinner than my old EL injectors. How does this work? Wouldn't you think bigger injector, more fuel? Or is like most technological advances where things become smaller and more efficient?

Cheers
Josh

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

That's what we needed!
By the looks, if they are same length and diameter they should bolt up. Good old ford for not reinventing the wiring loom with every new model :-)
I'd put the size down to new age technorogy.
Both flow at same rate. But by the looks you may get about 50gram of weight loss! Haha.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:19 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

phisical size has nothing to do with it, its how much fuel can flow through the jet/nozle and how long they open for is adjusted by the ecu..

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Thought so, well they do fit up quite nicely, easy job after you figure out removing and installing the first couple of injectors it's easy, I would rate it as a 2/5 mechanical knowledge needed to complete this job (personal opinion).

Just a recommendation for anyone doing this conversion, de-pressurize the fuel system first (remove fuel pump relay, and run the motor until it stalls out), unless you want a lot of fuel leaking all over you and the engine (including the coil and what not).

Cheers
Josh

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Yeah it's a piece of cake job.
And a rag around the hose as you pull it off makes the job cleaner.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Okay, for those of you who are interested in some more in depth comparisons;

Used 190,000km EL injector:

Reconditioned AU injector:

Well as you can see there are a few differences; Obviously the amount of grime and deposits left on the EL injector at 190,000km's which is to back up what a lot of people are saying about the quality of some used injectors... I had noticed poor idle and poor acceleration with these injectors. I suppose it's like pushing fuel through a straw with something on the end of the straw blocking it; it will come out but not as well as the clean straw.

AU injector, completely different tip and a bit more revised than the previous injectors. Has four pin holes allowing a much better atomization and spray pattern, more effective burn and in turn less fuel usage.

If purchasing a set of 2nd hand AU injectors get them reconditioned first, better to do it right the first time round.

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Hmm, and that the same pintle as on the V6 injectors too. The 4 little pin holes.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Injected Gas T5 Convert

VIC, Australia

i think all the holden buffs use the magna injectors as a cheap replacement for the famed blue top injectors in there hotted up 5ltrs would these be the same ones talked about from the magnas? i am interested in all this as i am at the same stage to replace mine for some with more flow got a bit done to my motor already so i hope they will suit it and wont over fuel like whats already been said

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next