Fordmods Logo

Fuel Pump 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel Pump
Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well our car (EL ghia) has by the NRMA "Lost the Fuel pump" any one know what a good price for a replacement is????
LoL, it now takes two people to start the car lol

Thanks

Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

If i remember right, the pump itself costs around $80 and around 10-15 mins to change. If it is a sedan, it is in the boot, underneath the carpet (close to back of boot). You will see an "access" hatch. Undo the 10 odd screws holding it down, undo locking ring, undo plastic cap and then u will see the pump and be able to go from there

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

If you're not totally sure yourself the pump is cactus, might be worth 5 mins to confirm this:
Earth the far right top pin of the diagnostic connector, switch ignition on, and listen for the pump operating - this tests the pump and the associated relays. If you're not sure about the diagnostic connector, have a look at Xyphoid's photo gallery - a diagram and pinout's is there.
Hope this helps . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

i used to have an ea that did one and it ended up costing a fair amount. bout 300 hundred fitted( dont hold me to that cause i cant remember). you could always get another one from the wreckers but it prob wont last that long. i wouldnt change it my self cause its in the actual fuel tank and that can be dangerous

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: XE S Pac

VIC, Australia

"lost the fuel pump" pfft nrma are wankers! how can u "loose" a fuel pump? the one u are thinkin of in the boot is the fuel SENDER and the pump is (usually) electric on ef-el, just follow the fuel lines and should go into somwere, not sure cuz im not to sure on newer cars but the fuel SENDER is in the boot and the fuel pump is under the bonnet, if the fuel pump needs to be replaced it will cost you roughly 200 (for an electric) but personally NRMA are pulling ur leg... tell them the fuel pump is still there lol but i cant really help you cuz i need more info on the situation

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:17 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2005 Hi-Ace

VIC, Australia

n0f34r wrote:
"lost the fuel pump" pfft nrma are wankers! how can u "loose" a fuel pump? the one u are thinkin of in the boot is the fuel SENDER and the pump is (usually) electric on ef-el, just follow the fuel lines and should go into somwere, not sure cuz im not to sure on newer cars but the fuel SENDER is in the boot and the fuel pump is under the bonnet, if the fuel pump needs to be replaced it will cost you roughly 200 (for an electric) but personally NRMA are pulling ur leg... tell them the fuel pump is still there lol but i cant really help you cuz i need more info on the situation

um, the fuel pump IS in the fuel tank. they are electric. you are thinking of mechanical fuel pumps which are driven off a lobe usually attached to a cam shaft in some way they are in the engine bay. its not uncommon for these to go. you will know if its died by just turning the key to the ignition spot and listen for the fuel pump prime. if it doesnt make any noise chances are the relay has gone or the pump itself.

its easy to change your self, the most difficult part is getting the large hoseclamp off the black ring then all you do is use a blunt flat blade screwdriver and tap the ring of anti clockwise. once thats done undo the fuel lines (mark which is which) and the plugs then remove the assembly. once out just unclip the 2 wires and the screw and remove the old one. install is reverse of removal..(duh)

2005 Toyota Hi-Ace aka ICE CUBE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]