Fordmods Logo

Full Exhaust System for EF Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Full Exhaust System for EF Falcon
Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon EF

NSW, Australia

Just recently bought an EF Falcon, completely stock and looking to do some modifications. I am a P Plater so mods are restricted. Was looking at doing a full exhaust system, just wanted advice on how to go about it. I've read that different setups make different sounds/tones, some exhaust systems cause loss of power etc, a bit confusing. The main question is, what full system will give me a loud mean sound? is it better to get extractors, hi flow cat and then 2.5" exhaust all done for this result?

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Full Exhaust System for EF Falcon
Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

My advise is do the lot in one hit if you can. Extractors new might cost $500+, high flow cat $200+ ( 100 cell) and cat back if done by a workshop $600+.
Personally, I wouldnt go down that route. BUy one of these or the redback one
Lukey cat back
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lukey-Cat-Ba ... 33685c9b11
About $200 and easily installed at home with a few sockets and half a brain. Then Id keep an eye out for extractors on ebay, just out of principle I refused to spend over $100 for s second hand set and ended up getting a set for $32, spent $15 on some paint and they look new. Then grab a 100 cell stainless steel cat off ebay. You will need the extractor maybe modded to fit the cat and you may need the cat modded to fit the cat back, depending on if either are direct bolt on's ( some cats are direct bolt on's like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-EA-EB-E ... 27d482e091 and some extractor second hand have already been modded to bolt straight on).
If you can get all bolt on stuff you will save a s**t load in labour costs.
Id also do the lot in one hit if you have the cash as if you dont buy bolt on's you may as well pay the exhaust shop once to do the extractors and cat together instead of 2 separate jobs.

Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Falcon EF

NSW, Australia

I've been told that it's not worth messing around for a new cat, and to just get an exhaust shop to fit extractors and cat back? a hi flow cat doesn't bring any performance or sound upgrades does it? but then I also read that some old standard cats may be blocked etc and it's better to replace it? what's your opinion on that? how do I know if my cat needs to be replaced?

Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was a skeptic on high flow cats until I got a 100 cell on mine. It instantly deepened the sound and pops under deceleration. I cant remember how long cats last for but if you get under your car and bang the bottom of your cat with you hand and hear rattling, you'll need a new one. Also, once the extractors go on if your cats not the best on the inside it will fail. Also, if you plan o0n lowering your car at any time Id recommend getting a stainless steel one as they are stronger.
Its a huge debate on high flow cats compared to stock cats, me personally id get it done. The tech will have to take your cat off to fit it to the extractors ( lengthen pipework and fit a flange), so may as well get a new one. As long as the outlet side of the cat fits to a stock exhaust, grab the Lukey one and fit it yourself. Its a piece of piss and will save you heaps of cash. All you do is take the old cat back off by undoing 2 bolts at the end of the cat, undo a pipe clamp and remove the rubber hangers. Installing its in the reverse and the hardest part is getting the tail pipe piece over the diff, but even thats easy to do once you use your factory jack to lift the rear drivers side up a bit.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

You do realise that 100cell cats are illegal for street use (factory used 200cell cats for E series and newer cars have 400cell cats as standard equipment). I would not go and advertise if my car had one online and I certainly would not be suggesting other people do it.

This is not calaisturbo.com where the degradation and/or removal of emissions equipment is condoned and even recommended in some cases.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I dont know if mines a 100 cell or 200 then, but I was advised by the bloke on here who sells magnaflow high flow cats and also 5 exhaust shops to get the cell size I got. Be it 100 or 200 cell I did my research before I got it put on.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I stand corrected, it has been a long time since I had it done..... The one I got is a 200 cpi, not 100. Sorry for the bad advise on the 100 cell.

Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
You do realise that 100cell cats are illegal for street use (factory used 200cell cats for E series and newer cars have 400cell cats as standard equipment). I would not go and advertise if my car had one online and I certainly would not be suggesting other people do it.

This is not calaisturbo.com where the degradation and/or removal of emissions equipment is condoned and even recommended in some cases.

In saying that, the only reason emissions control units were installed in cars is because car owners are lazy with maintenance. A correctly tuned and maintained car will produce little emissions with or without a cat.
This may not be calaisturbo.com, but I am sure there are members on here with gutted cats.

Ive had carbie run cars many years ago that I have tuned correctly and they produced less emissions than my ef with a new cat, new o2 sensor, new head, new gaskets, new injectors etc. Problem is the Ef ecu is tuned too rich. Once I get a j3 and a correct tune it may produce the same emissions as my old carbie cars did. Technology, once you take things out of peoples hands who know what they are doing and put your faith in chips you have no control.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]