Fordmods Logo

Fuse Box Questions 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuse Box Questions
Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:41 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

What is Auto CC? Should there be a fuse there?
Also which one is the fuel pump relay, is it the green one? (wanting to change the filter so to drain the line was going to turn the pump off)

This is an EL Falcon btw.

Post subject: Re: Fuse Box Questions
Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:46 pm 
SA Cruise Moderator

Ride: 1993 EBll xr6, 2003 ba xt

Power: 150 rwkw

SA, Australia

the fuel pump relay shoud be one of the four on the side of the battery or one of the four under the overflow bottle more then likley it will be under the overflow bottle but some with a ef el will confirm

Owning 1 of 84,847 ebII.
2x clarion subs 1200w, 1x clarion amp 400w, pioneer headunit, 16x8 roh reflex.
Clear side, front indicators, White dials, trip computer, boot spoiler, K & N air filter.
35% tint, paint code (z) stark white, 3" crome nudge bar, Xh snorkle

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Can't remember what the Auto CC stands for, but I got a fuse in mine...EL Fairmont. Could be Cruise Control or Climate Control...I am leaning more towards Climate Control.

Also fuel pump relay is in the engine bay under the coolant overflow bottle. Can't remember which one it was.

You can depressurize the fuel by also unplugging the fuel pump. I usually do that because I keep forgetting which of the relays is the fuel pump.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There is two funny looking ones under the coolant tank...

A green one and a brown one...

One is for the EEC-V and the other is fuel pump (not sure which is which)... Why do you want to remove the relay? You change the fuel filter with the car off... When the car is off the fuel pump isn't running... There is no way of clearing the fuel out of the fuel line, when you unscrew the nuts out of either side of the fuel filter some will always run out... Make sure you don't change it on grass or you'll kill it...

On your model there isn't supposed to be a fuse in that slot I can tell by the fact that if you look closely there is a brass terminal in the top position and none in the bottom position meaning that even if you put a fuse in there is no wire/terminal on the bottom of it...

The three relays in your fuse box should be labelled... Its the hidden ones (thermos, heater box, power windows, headlights, horn, starter) that aren't labelled, you just have to know where to find them...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:18 pm 
Smokin em up

SA, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
On your model there isn't supposed to be a fuse in that slot I can tell by the fact that if you look closely there is a brass terminal in the top position and none in the bottom position meaning that even if you put a fuse in there is no wire/terminal on the bottom of it...

Thats what i thought, but the other 2 with no fuses up the top. havnt got any brass terminals at all...

timmytimtim wrote:
There is no way of clearing the fuel out of the fuel line, when you unscrew the nuts out of either side of the fuel filter some will always run out... Make sure you don't change it on grass or you'll kill it...

ohk then, ill just do it normally then.

Its passanger side around the middle of the door isnt it? I havnt change one before lol.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

again those ones up the top aren't used on your model... The reason it has one terminal is in the back is a busbar and it lins the supply side to a whole heap out fuses, hence why it has the one terminal, its just part of the busbar...

Phong... It might be climate control... Cruise is powered off the 15amp brake light fuse (I found out coz I'm installing EL cruise)

under the back set on the passenger side on the inside of the fuel rail... Let it sit for a minute before you unscrew... I have never had any pressure problems... Only get the stuff thats in the lines that runs out... It doesn't spray like its under pressure... Just gravity fed...

Make sure you hold the nuts on the fuel lines tightly (I use parrot nose vise grips (designed for nuts)) coz if you ever round the nuts off its a big job to replace a whole fuel line...

Its not hard... take it out, if its easy to blow through then its not blocked... if you struggle (go red in the face) trying to blow through it, thats how the fuel pump feels...

A new one has almost no restriction to blow through... I have to check mine again one day...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Thought it might have been the climate control, cheers.

The idea of starting the car with the fuel pump not running is to release pressure in the line, not to remove the fuel in the line. This makes it less dangerous since at higher pressure the fuel will spray more randomly and dangerously. Unplug the fuel pump if you are unsure as to which relay to unplug (I believe it is the green one), start the engine till it dies (if it doesn't start at all, turn the engine over a couple of times) and then attemp to remove the fuel filter. When you remove the bolt, you will now have drips of fuel coming out (about 100ml or so I think) rather than a high pressure sprinkler system of octane in your eye. Trust me it burns like a mofo.

Have fun :D...I did the first time I did mine haha.

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Phong...

I never do that but have never had high pressure in the line... It only ever runs out... and yeah 100mm or whatever the lines hold...

Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:23 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
Phong...

I never do that but have never had high pressure in the line... It only ever runs out... and yeah 100mm or whatever the lines hold...

I must admit, the first time I did the fuel filter change on the EL, there wasn't any pressure...however the second time it was like a sprinkler simple gone wild. First time on the EA it was a killer, petrol in eye = bad. I guess it may depend?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]