Fordmods Logo

fuse links 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: fuse links
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hi

what amps would you use to replace the black24a older fuse wire in a ea-ed. would 30a be ok as you can only get 20 or 30 amp fuse links that fit the ef/el box

thanks

Post subject: Re: fuse links
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

You should be able to go to an auto elect & buy the correct fuse wire dude. If you want to replace it with a plug in type, 30a should be ok. as long as the wiring will cope with 30amp before the fuse blows.

When my fuse links failed in my EB due to battery acid corrosion, i replaced them all with the EF plug in setup. That was a big job, but it works nicely.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

if the wire is 5-6 mm it should be fine with a 30a plug in fuse link should it?, how do you tell if the wire will cope without tracing it all the way

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The wire has to be a certain size to be rated at a certain amperage. Here is an american page on wire capacity, talks about wires in "gauge" size like a 12 gauge or 8 gauge wire. It's getting late and i need to shove off to bed, so i can't search for what size mm is X gauge wire, but you could use googleto see if you can find a bit more info that might help you out.

I just traced my circuits & wired them up to the relative fuses in the EF fuse holder, then plugged the fuses in.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

also is 30a fusible links ok to use to replace the black wires

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fairmont1 wrote:
also is 30a fusible links ok to use to replace the black wires

Good question. So i went searching. Found This - autoshop 101 - fuse info. Have a read thru, page 9 of the pdf deals with fuse links, both the plug in and wire type. Black is 80amps. Based on that, i think 30amps just won't cut it.

This reminds me, the green fuse link, which is 40amps, is in bad shape on the mighty boy. I think it's time i replace it with a plug in "pacific" modern type fuse link.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:38 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

The black fusible link wire in the EA-ED is 1.25mm square and is designed to melt at about 40 Amps. Two of these are connected between the Battery positive and the B+ of the alternator. Because these are connected in parallel, they can be replaced with a single newer Black fusible link (80 Amps).

There are 4 black fusible link wires on EA-ED and only 2 of them go to the alternator. The other 2 supply the ignition switch and power relay. They can be replaced with a newer 40Amp fusible link for each wire.

The red fusible link wire (30Amp) can be replaced with a 30 Amp fusible link (Pink).

The green fusible link wire is rated at about 22Amps and can be replace with a conventional fuse rated at 25Amp. Fusible links only come in higher ratings (30Amp and above) .This circuit is the 12V supply to the fuel pump relay.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

just wondered because the black says 24a red says 20a and green says 18a on the narva website

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fairmont1 wrote:
just wondered because the black says 24a red says 20a and green says 18a on the narva website

I have just had a look at the site, http://narva.com.au/products/browse/fuse-link-wire. I see what you mean. A pair of black isn't quite 50amps, and would blow if you tried to draw a full 70amps or more from the alternator.

I have replaced all my fuseable links in the EB Ghia with the EF plug in setup.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

The ratings are correct but it comes down to what alternator you have fitted to your car. If depends on whether you have a 70Amp or 85Amp alternator, the 80Amp Black modern fusible link will bolt into the EF/EL fusible link block. You can get an EF/EL block from a wrecker. The EF/EL block already has a 100Amp link (from alternator) which can be replaced with a 60 or 80 Amp link depending on your alternator output capacity.

ToranaGuy has already retrofitted the later block so maybe he can give you some idea of what links he fitted to his block (or maybe utilised some of the existing ones).

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I think i just used the std fuses & allocations as per the EF. I have an EF 110amp alternator fit in the EB Ghia, so i know i have the EF sized fuse in the block position of "ALT". I can't remember the rest, I'll have to have a look, the conversion does need to be made neat, now that I've had it working without issues for a while....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]