Getting coolant out, grrr 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Getting coolant out, grrr
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Guys, how the hell can I empty the surge tank and get enough coolant out of the system, so that I can take the thermostat housing top off and put some silastic on it? I tried syhpering the coolant with a garden hose (clean), from the top of the surge tank and barely anything came out. Little help, cheers.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Just dump the whole lot dude. Only 10 bucks for some more coolant concentrate :)

Fill the radiator up with plain water to get you down to the parts shop once you're done with the thermostat...

Or... remove top radiator hose - should get enough coolant out without dumping the entire system.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Just dump the whole lot dude. Only 10 bucks for some more coolant concentrate :)

Fill the radiator up with plain water to get you down to the parts shop once you're done with the thermostat...

Or... remove top radiator hose - should get enough coolant out without dumping the entire system.

Lol, I only replaced the coolant like last week. :P That hose you mentioned, it's the one that goes from the right of the radiator to the thermostat? Which end should I remove on that? Dunno how I'm going to do it without making a mess.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:

Lol, I only replaced the coolant like last week. :P That hose you mentioned, it's the one that goes from the right of the radiator to the thermostat? Which end should I remove on that? Dunno how I'm going to do it without making a mess.

Yeah mate - top/passenger side of the radiator... just disconnect it from the radiator outlet. Maybe a litre or so will come out?? Dont worry about making a mess... it's not like you're dumping 10L into the stormwater system :) Stick an ice cream container under the car or something... or just do it on the lawn...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Till_Lind wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:

Yeah mate - top/passenger side of the radiator... just disconnect it from the radiator outlet. Maybe a litre or so will come out?? Dont worry about making a mess... it's not like you're dumping 10L into the stormwater system :) Stick an ice cream container under the car or something... or just do it on the lawn...

Cheers mate, I appreciate it.

UPDATE: What a bloody mess lol. First only a 1lt came out then the surge starting emptying myself and I was stuck there with only a small ice cream container so did lose a little bit. Dad is gonna be p****d, lol.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, the coolant tank is slightly higher or about the same level as the thermostat, so gravity will take it's course :P .

IMO you should be checking the sealing washers on the thermostat and the mating faces of the housing and the top cover to these sealing washers, that's where your sealing is. The housings can be dressed up carefully with a small flat file or emery paper. You can get new housings from Supercrap, etc, or a decent one from a wreckers perhaps.
I don't know if you already intended to do that, but silastic on the housing faces themselves will probably fail eventually again anyway, AFAIK there is no gasket on these faces due to the thermostat sealing washers.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:09 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The ED has a gasket there.
I didn't even really clean up the housing faces, just gasket gooped the still good gasket and slapped it on.
Probably the only part of my car that doesnt leak now :Lol:

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Post subject: Re: Getting coolant out, grrr
Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
Guys, how the hell can I empty the surge tank and get enough coolant out of the system, so that I can take the thermostat housing top off and put some silastic on it? I tried syhpering the coolant with a garden hose (clean), from the top of the surge tank and barely anything came out. Little help, cheers.

Don't use a garden hose, they are too big, use pvc tubing around 5mm in diametre. I have syphoned mine out several time without a problem.

Or go the messy route and just remove the top hose or thermostat housing.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR6

VIC, Australia

barley any coolant will come out when you remove the top t/stat housing, for the small amount that does come out, just catch it in a container (a bucket or something like will do, if you dont have a proper drain tin, must be clean though) and just pour the coolant lost back into the header tank when your done

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

gasket goo in this situation is a very common and reliable solution, it will easily last until the coolant requires changing.

and never buy the aftermarket thermostat housing, very poor quality, when i bought it, both top and bottom the problems i had included,
maching left a very pronounced lip that i had to file/clean off.
the internals were very sharp which again needed filing.
the top housing had half of its lip missing when they ground the excess material left from casting, meaning i had to put my old one on after a week as the new hose couldn't seal.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Or if you still have the factory radiator (or if not, a decent replacement) there is a drain plug at the bottom of the drivers side tank, accessible via a hole in the bottom radiator support.

Put a 9l bucket under there, undo the plug and let it drain. It will only dump about 8l.

Do what you need to do and replace the plug and tip the coolant back in.

Pretty much 0 coolant loss this way.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]