Great reads! 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Great reads!
Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

LOL... people that drive like (the recommendations for "driving efficiently" on that site) that drive me crazy and shouldn't be allowed in peak hour traffic..

The ones that take off so slowly at the lights that only 2 or 3 cars behind them can get though and the rest have to wait and idle for the next green light and hope another idiot isn't in that lane ahead of them....

It is false logic for people wanting to save the planet... if the prius takes off so slowly that only half the people that would otherwise get though do.. then the other half of the non hybrids that didn't get though will sit there idling using more fuel and polluting until the next green light..

So congrats mr prius.. you saved a cent or two of fuel for your own car and perhaps a tiny bit of pollution (but probably not since the prius doesn't need to idle) and instead cost the people behind you 10 cents or more each in extra fuel and a heap more pollution... so you made the problem worse with your driving rather than better... you must be proud....

common sense is the best way to drive efficiently. If everyone paid attention and drove at the speed limit and got there as quickly as was was safe to.. the amount of fuel and pollution would be drastically reduced and in addition, there would be far less traffic congestion in the first place (again reducing pollution and gas usage overall) I think the time has come to play hardball with drivers.. If they are not confident and capable enough behind the wheel to drive efficiently. Then they shouldn't be allowed to till they've taken training. even grannies can take training and most would probably enjoy it...... the amount of fuel saved and pollution reduced would be astonishing.

I watched a bunch of what looked to be women heading off to pick up kids from school the other day.. and they were turning right off a busy road crossing the other lanes traffic to do so.

The ladies were all letting huge gaps go past without moving off and waiting till the traffic had stopped completely due to a red light further off down the road... Anyone with an ounce of feeling for their car would have been able to pull out a dozen times before these ladies did... and there was a line of these ladies backed up waiting for their turns... That is the sort of thing I'm talking about.. they have no sense of the car or perception of depth, so they can't drive efficiently and safely at the same time... As a result, they make traffic massively worse and use more fuel and create more pollution making people wait for them...

I was forced to take a full time 2 week course in driving when I was in high school, and I recently had to take all my tests again due to a lapsed QLD license in WA... I went from learners to Opens in 2 days and I got 100% in every test. (despite it being 20 years since I was in high school.) Most people are not remotely interested in cars and as a result they don't use them very well... They need to be forced to get interested.. that is the solution to traffic congestion,, it's a solution to pollution, and it's a solution to the death toll..

Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Someones a cranky pants ;)

It's just food for thought :)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Sorry man... I spend an hour in peak hour traffic every day and it's only an hour because of idiots on the road who can't bring themselves to do the speedlimit, but insist on being in the overtaking lane anyway...

gets my goat that people are trying to train a whole new bunch of people to drive in a manner that has absolutely no consideration for the time of others at its core.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Try living on the Gold Coast, never seen so many incompetent drivers, drivers doing 20k's under speed limit is normal and you know what they all drive these gutless little 4's that take 5 mins to get to 80, I'll be behind them in my EL riding the brakes doing my head in. The M1 is just as bad everyday no doubt i'll be behind someone doing 80 on the 110 merging lane of motorway and everyday i'll be stuck behind someone in the inside overtaking lane sitting on 110 in line with car in next lane over, get to close and the dic heads slam the brakes, yes at 110 kph

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

good rant frankieh i completely agree,

aswell as the people that do 70-80 kmph in 100 zones, and slow down a km early. these people in increased numbers have doubled the time it takes me to get to work, been over a few years the same route used to take 20-25 minutes not it can take from 35 to 45 minutes. due to people obstructing traffic and have caused more accidents doing so from un educated drivers overtaking etc.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
If that quote were true, a 245/x/14" would have as much, or rather as little, grip as a 165/x/14"
Its pretty simple - more rubber on the road (larger contact area) = more grip.

I haven't read the articles.......or any of them actually.
It is length of the foot print that gives you better traction.
Have a look at a top fuel dragster....the rear wheels...while sitting there....about 30" to 36" in diameter...and when they are spun up....grow like hell about another 6" or more.....way longer foot print......same goes for speed way.....have a look at the sprint cars...different height tyres all round, so they go round the track...especially the tight little 400m oval types that don't have much of a bank to them.

By the way, I run 235/60R15 in stead of the 205/65R15.....more traction.....a lot more.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah well if you dont like the roads dont use them ;)

I agree, they are a pain in the a**, but stop going over it ;)

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2