Fordmods Logo

Grinding noise at idle on 98 au1 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Grinding noise at idle on 98 au1
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Just brought my au ford home today and I have noticed that at idle the car almost grinds like an old magna,im s**t scared of timing chains etc as I owned a bloody 87 tn auto crap heap.I took the car to my local mechanic and he says either a water pump or an idle bearing,and then saiid he could not tell until he took things apart,if it is the idle bearing im looking at $60, if waterpump up to $200,are these prices fair,i have no idea and will probably get ripped! big time. Is it a job i can attempt myself,i have not much mech knowledge?
I havnt even had this car for 24 hours and am already s**t big brickys, i couldnt afford the warranty and wasnt sure if it was worth it anyway.
thank you all
Paddle Pop Lion

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

ebay: http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search ... 2&from=R18

I've done close to 19000km on a brand new $37.00 ebay water pump. :lol:

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

just be careful because the aftermarket water pumps have been known to be not great quality

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Rapier wrote:
just be careful because the aftermarket water pumps have been known to be not great quality

It's all about brand but! I mean there's cheap aftermarket ones and theres decent ones. After all, chances are Ford ones arn't made by Ford but actually contracted out to another company, I mean Ford headunits arn't Ford (Pioneer/Alpine), the clusters and trip computer are made by Siemens VDO. I'm sure there's a lot more examples.

Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:29 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Paddle wrote
Quote:
Just brought my au ford home today and I have noticed that at idle the car almost grinds like an old magna,im s**t scared of timing chains etc as I owned a bloody 87 tn auto crap heap.I took the car to my local mechanic and he says either a water pump or an idle bearing,and then saiid he could not tell until he took things apart,if it is the idle bearing im looking at $60, if waterpump up to $200,are these prices fair,i have no idea and will probably get ripped! big time.

The water pump is about for that price if it is an original item

Post subject: Found the Problem
Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

When i went to get the towbar on today i had them check over it and turns out it IS the water pump.. Also the Rotars are undersize and worn down to the point where they can't even be machined. The muffler has a few leaks in it. And after all that so much for a car that 'flew through the roadworthy' 100% FIRST TIME with breaks at 86%.. :lol:
I have NEVER known a car not to have something picked first time,i will be posting a scan of the roady for all to see,I get my car back Friday,and am hoping they do it properly,not just a patch job because i will be getting checked again by my mach and have the bastards closed down! until then i am driving a s**t 89 pulsar that is falling apart,I also tow with the bastard,gotta wind it up with the big key in the roof to get anywhere!
I already miss my AU
also anyone intrested in a 85 xf s pak 5 speed manual sedan in Cranbourne,email me,only want $500,can post pics or come see,Thank you all for your help,much appreciated

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]