Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: group dignosis
Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I need the collective genius of fordmods to cast there eyes over a few symptoms the AU is going through.

The problem revolves around oil basically, in a couple of different ways.

firstly after any oil change it goes black very very quickly. I use mobil 10-40 semi synth, but it also went black very fast with other brands. The consistency stays good, but it goes black and has a whiff of a fuel smell about it.

secondly, I find oil in the bottom of the BBM when i take the top half off. Ive tried a new pcv but it still does it.

thirdly, its leaking oil from location unknown. I can never find where, but after every time you drive it it leaves 3 or 4 patches about the size of a 10 cent coin.

lastly at WOT it blows smoke ONLY in second gear (5 speed manual). Ive never noticed any in 1st and I can only guess traces in 3rd, so it seems the conditions on the engine in 2nd gear wot have oil enter the chambers from somewhere.

Does anyone see a patern with these symptoms? Could it be leaking oil from the valves hence the fuel smell in the oil? If it were rings, wouldnt it blow smoke in all gears under wot?

enough isn't enough

Post subject: Re: group dignosis
Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

A couple of things....maybe run some engine oil system flush ( Nulon EOF ).
Replace the PCV valve with a grey one, instead of the black one.
How many K's on it.????
If the oil turns black quickly, either the donk is dirty inside, or the rings are very worn, or both.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

How many ks has it done? And if the oil is on a passenger side it could be a pressure switch. Oil always finds its way into the bbm through the intake oil breather. If its a high km motor it could be valve stem seals.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ks are somewhere around 230,000 actual k's or so, its had higher ratio diff gears installed for a couple of years now, the tacho reads about 248,000

It pulls strongly, and doesnt seem to be down on power, and blows smoke at the top of second. Its always blackened the oil quickly, id hope by now it would have gotten all the muck out. Ive ran flush's before, hoping to fix it but Im out of ideas.

The new PCV was neither black nor grey it was metal (from bursons)

If the valve stem seals are allowing oil into the chambers could this explain the fuel smell in the oil or would that also be caused by rings being shagged?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Is the smoke black? If so its over fueling can be caused from stuffed o2 sensor. Has the exhaust not changed at all if it has the cat could have collapsed as well.

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the exhaust is only a year old with a new metal-core cat, it could be overfueling slightly since the ecu has the police tickford tune uploaded without the tickford bits. The tuner did that when the ecu was modified for the manual so when i finally got around to putting my wade cam in it would run well enough to be driven to geelong to the tuner.

As far as I know O2 is factory origional.

Can anyone detail what happens with worn stem seals? Just trying to guage wether I need to save up to get the head taken off and redone, or a complete rebuild/replace engine.

If it was running like s**t I would think the whole engine is stuffed but she moves along fairly briskly.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Mine car is very similar to yours the engine won't be stuffed.

With the stem seals it will leak oil onto a valve so is smokey on start up and can be at high revs.

My guess the tuner has done a fairly rich tune to help with the cam when its ready.

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The tune is the same tune that is uploaded onto AU tickford 6 cyl purchased by the police. Not a great deal different to the regular xr6 map. Sounds like the stem seals are needing attention. The smoke doesnt start till perhaps (in the vicinity of) 4000 rpm, worsening as it gets higher. 2nd revs out pretty quick, which may be why it doesnt do it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th.

Is the oil in the BBM really that common? surely it cant have been designed that way. Or is that stem seals as well, after engine turned off the seal is leaking down the valve stem back through the intake port into the BBM?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

there is always oil in the inlet mainfolds, even the log ones.

quick question why have you pulled the bbm apart? iv played with spare ones iv got and they have all had oil in them

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i would suggest replacing the o2 sensor then replacing the pcv with a factory au grey pcv,
ford started using the grey ones after new au,s were sucking to much oil through the pcv..

also the smoke possably could be caused by the oil being diluted from an over rich mixture and thining the oil to the point that is leaks past the rings at high rpm..

just a thought!

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so there is oil on the cylinder walls on intake stroke? I would have thought the rings would keep the oil below the head of the piston at all times. The oil is definately very fuely. Thin oil getting past the rings with partially burnt fuel in it would explain the smell and discolouration. I had the factory grey pvc on it, might put it back on. Ultimately i would like to get it tuned, but now aparently all xcal1's are no longer operational so my flashbox is useless. Didnt want to get it tuned until the cam went in which I could never get the money together for, always spending it on useless textbooks lol.

Dorman: I had the bbm in half when I changed the engine bay looms during manual conversion, found it faster and easier than trying to thread the various bits of the loom through holes the size of a fish's cornhole.

How many k's do O2's usually last anyway? would it help if i tried cleaning the tip of the old one in turps or something?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:57 pm 

NSW, Australia

usually an o2 will last about 100,000 - 150'000-km..

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

s**t the old ones way past its bedtime then.

would running rich the way it does clog up an o2 quicker? is there any point getting a new one while running the tickford state of tune?

enough isn't enough

Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 pm 

NSW, Australia

a tickford tune shouldnt make it run to rich, but a fuged 02 sensor can show a lean mixture and the ecu will try richen up the mixture making it much richer than normal..

if you change the o2 remember to disconnect the battery to reset the ecu..

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

If your worried about worn valve guides or valve seals and piston rings simply check your spark plugs if oil is leaking into combustion chamber you will have fould plugs you will be able to see oil on them. If you rev motor hard ie 4500-5500rpm most likly to be worn valve guides, but if it only blows smoke every now and then most proberly valve seals

But from what you have stated it sounds to me like its running rich it expains the strong fuel smell to oil and the cloud of smoke at high rpm

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next