Gutless after BBM conversion 

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Gutless after BBM conversion
Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:27 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 29 images

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,
well, after doing conversion, I think that there might have been something wrong with my car before that has showed it's ugly head after doing conversion.

It has a feeling of having no balls whatsoever, and it went harder with the old manifold. It was feeling OK for first couple of days, albeit with slight surging at cruising speeds, but now seems to surge much more and feels gutless, but every now and then you put foot down and it flies only to go s**t a second or two later!

The thing I've done are obviously the conversion, but I've tried old leads, no difference, old TPS, no difference, adjusted timing, slightly out, now on 10degrees TDC (on IGN mark on crankcase and done in diagnostic mode, two connector pins shorted, rev dropped down etc. etc.), no difference.

Next on my list will be the petrol filter, possibly blocked dirty whatever, therefore possibly slowing flow to injectors? Then maybe the cat converter, but is there a way to tell if this is gone or just change and pray!! Then I'll probably end up getting from Burson those $27ea AZNEW change over injectors and put those in. I don't know??

If any body has any other suggestions, or can advise me other wise on the suggestions I've put up, please give us a yell, as I fear if I have to revert to th log manifold, it might be the same and a whole waste of time and money for nothing.

P.S the leads are off a known working car, the dizzy cap and rotor button are about 6 months old and still look brand new, coil is producing great spark, plugs are only 5 weeks old, changed with BBM conversion along with oil and filter and gapped correctly, compression is perfect on all cylinders, it idles absolutely beautifully smooth and doesn't really use petrol, approx. 650 km to the tank.

AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!! :twisted:

Cheers,

Mark.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

Hey mate. With the bbm conversion. Did you wire up the vacuum solenoid etc? Basically if you watch the butterfly, when you turn the car on it should move. And then move back when the car is off.

Just worth checking coz when i first did mine i had it the wrong way round = no torque.

Hope it works out mate

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:45 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Yeah, did that, when i first put it in I did have it wrong way, but now when car starts it does flick up in the long runner mode. But you gave me an idea, what if under load the diaphragm is losing vacuum and shutting, causing the butterflies to be open, causing no or less torque like you suggested?? It's hooked up properly (eg. to the vac tree at back of manifold to BBM switch, then a check valve then going to the little black hose that goes to diaphragm). I might put a zip tie to hold it up and see how it feels down low.

Get back to you,

Thanks.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:47 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

OH and P.S, I'm using EL ECU so the fuel maps are correct.

It's a 6DBA, which I searched on here and found is Auto, Low series, standard diff ratio (3.08 i think??) same as mine.

Cheers.

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeh zip ties are the way to go. I havent even gotten around to setting up the vacuum switch properly. so i've just kept it zipped tied and it works great

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BF II XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

ya have to get the vac line from the vac canaster in the drivers side gard or ya will lose vac when wot

No dose No Care

P.B of 12.2@118 with more in it!!!!

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:30 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

AHH, OK, so if I run a t-piece from there instead from vac tree near back of manifold, then it should stay up.

Well, anyway, I zip tied it up as an experiment and does feel better without the massive lack of grunt, so I'll be changing the vac supply ASAP, but it still has the surging hesitation feeling, like it's missing, but not really?? :?

Also, how fragile are injectors??

I remember dropping one of them from like standing height straight on to floor (concrete). Could this have been he beginning of the end for the injector, or not likely? And things that come to mind are fuel starving, so either fuel pump/filter, or other extreme, blocked cat converter, as on searches on here found cat blockage can really slug your car out.

As illegal as it is, could removing cat and bashing it out just to try (as I'm not really into doing shifties) and see if it makes difference, as buying one and not making difference would seriously s**t me :evil:

Cheers

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BF II XR6 Turbo Ute

VIC, Australia

yeah the vac tree is the wrong place to be getting it from injector shod be fine abt anything is posible try the fuel filter first will make a huge difference

No dose No Care

P.B of 12.2@118 with more in it!!!!

Formerly known as ebturb

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:41 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks mate, so I'll try fuel filter first, seems as though it's cheapest, and easiest to change. Might have to get it tomorrow as it's getting late and won't make it to Burson on time (they close at 4:59:59) so I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for all your help.

Mark.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb2xr6

New Zealand

whats wrong with getting vac from the vac tree?? thats what its there for isint it? :?

save petrol and reduce congestion....bury all holden

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:21 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

believe it or not i am also having a slight surging issue with mine at the moment if you floor it it goes great.
and most of the time its fine but lately its more noticable.

on light acceleration you can feel it surging it kind of reminds me of a push bike with a buckled wheel and the brakes are rubbing on the rim., lol
it seems to have a tight loose tight loose affect..

i have also replaced all sensors except act (air charge sensor)
it has a new cat so its not that.
ive changed map sensor,tps,leads,plugs,fuel filter,dist cap and rotor,distributor and it still surges.
ive tried disconecting isc and still no difference.
the only thing that made a difference was the oxygen sensor but after a week it starts surging again.
im thinking of trying a different ecu and see what happens
or im thinking that i might have a problem with the gear position resistor i added to the auto ecu as it should be a 7k resistor and i used a 6.8k resistor.

it didnt have this problem when i first did my conversion its just been happening in the last month or so.

MyEDFalcon6
it looks like we are having a similar problem...
is your car a manual with the auto ecu like mine?

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hey troyman. i had similar issues to you initially. i found it was my TPS. try disconnecting it and go for a drive to see how it goes. If its all good then maybe ur TPS needs to be replaced.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:32 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ok
ill give it a try i changed the tps but i used a second hand one..

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:31 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hey TROYMAN, nah, sadly mine is still auto, and ECU is the 6DBA stock auto one.

Bluecube, well my TPS from ED manifold was tried instead of the one on EL manifold, and made no difference, unless both are knackered!!!

like TROYMAN said, feels good, than bad, almost like fuel is running out (I think most of us have our cars nearly run dry), sort of like surging.

Could it be different fuel pumps, or maybe something with the fuel regulators?? Injectors are all the same, and mine were good on old log manifold.

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ahh the woes of modding an engine!

another problem i have that might be related to your problem is whenever i turn my car on when its cold. the car feels like it has stuff all power and kinda splutters and then surges with power. but i only get it when the car is cold. i think i narrowed it down to that the ecu was not going into cold start mode or something. once the car is a little warmer everything is fine.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next