Fordmods Logo

Hard core old time motors 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Hard core old time motors
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Are there any old timers here who know any niffty tricks to hot up 170, 188, 200, 221 motors for drag racing???
Presently have a 223 Mercury Comet motor with the valve poking through cylinder head & piston sitting in sump. have another 221 motor with 2V head on that just will not crank as good. Run a Crow Cam, Tripple inch & half SU's. 10:1 compression. Open to any suggestions. Due to HAMBster class regulations I cannot run a late 250 Cu" motor or even a late 200 mtr.
Someone suggested converting a cross flow up but again the powers to be said no . Can use a highly modified 2V head though. So come on all you late model horse power boys, tell me how I can get 300 rear wheel HP from an early falcon inline 6 using only period carbies, (no webers or 4 barrels) No electronics, no super chargers or nos. This I think is a challenge for only top class engine builders, any out there that would like to help me better my already standing 1//4 mile record for HA/GR of 13.1 secs @ 102 mph.
I'm serious! Can anyone help with old motors as above??? How about some more 2V heads for me to destroy?? [youtube][img]

Attachments:
hampsters 28 Dec Warwick.jpg
hampsters 28 Dec Warwick.jpg [ 57.86 KiB | Viewed 1341 times ]

the faster you go the more to go wrong!

Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Sorry I dont know about the engine - but nice looking Hambster. Ive been to a couple of Drags with the Black Knight boys... good fun except that at the last run at Willowbank the Sidevalve let go.. of the two front rods. messy!.

Good fun class though.

Best of luck.

Post subject: Re: Hard core old time motors
Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

HAMBstirrer wrote:
Are there any old timers here who know any niffty tricks to hot up 170, 188, 200, 221 motors for drag racing???
Presently have a 223 Mercury Comet motor with the valve poking through cylinder head & piston sitting in sump. have another 221 motor with 2V head on that just will not crank as good. Run a Crow Cam, Tripple inch & half SU's. 10:1 compression. Open to any suggestions. Due to HAMBster class regulations I cannot run a late 250 Cu" motor or even a late 200 mtr.
Someone suggested converting a cross flow up but again the powers to be said no . Can use a highly modified 2V head though. So come on all you late model horse power boys, tell me how I can get 300 rear wheel HP from an early falcon inline 6 using only period carbies, (no webers or 4 barrels) No electronics, no super chargers or nos. This I think is a challenge for only top class engine builders, any out there that would like to help me better my already standing 1//4 mile record for HA/GR of 13.1 secs @ 102 mph.
I'm serious! Can anyone help with old motors as above??? How about some more 2V heads for me to destroy?? [youtube][img]

I need more info....
Can you run an MSD 6AL ignition system??? or does that come under electronics???
You need a decent spark to start the fire at 10:1.
Can you run triple 2" carbys off a Jag?
What exhaust headers do you currently run?
Is the engine fully balanced?
Can you get roller rockers for those old girls?
Are you running a hydraulic cam, or mechanical cam?
Are you running a Hi-vol oil pump?
What grade of engine oil are you running?

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

How awesome, go old skool. I always wanted twin carbs on my ol 4cyl's... Now I'd I have a six with triple carbs, Valiant or Ford 6 (cuz they're both fkn awesome) hehe.

Doesn't about 70% of power come from the head and it's setup? Like cjh said, 2" carbs instead of 1.5". Porting to match? An even more silly cam in there to make the most of the intake and more rev's? Some 6>3>1 headers for the top end breathing?

What diff is it? What gear are you in across the line? What RPM @ that point?

Being a race car you wouldn't have to worry too much about idle.. but like old mate said, we don't want it throwing a rod every meet.

All the best, luv old skool cam'd and carb'd donks.

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

these old cars r heap mad to watch.....nothin like them cars they r loud as

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]