Fordmods Logo

head bolt frozen 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: head bolt frozen
Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

ok blew a head gasket , fine , went to rip the head off and you guessed it rounded the last suka off, fek fek i said :evil: :evil: :evil: . so did a search and found sum good info here,

question is how much per bolt or set of ???

and also head gasket from ford how much $$$$ ???

oh yer split two sockets and three spanners on it , bought metrinch set of sockets it slipped with the 14mm , then , as the bolt head was so rounded i was able to mash on a 13mm metrinch , and then i split that one , fek fekin i said, :evil: :evil: :evil:

its an el, ef 4.0ltr ohc cam motor

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Next time use a 14mm impact socket (the type you use on rattle guns)

Bolts are about $1.50 each IIRC, gasket between $30 for a cheap ACL, AU MLS are the best to use and price seems to vary greatly depending on where you go.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:01 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

thx stockstandard for the speedy reply, mmm they are a crappy set up these bolts, coulda been made a little bigger in the hex size imo, so is there any aftermarket ones that do this ???

was that $2 per bolt from ford ???

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

Buy a full head gasket set and bolt .gasket kit is about 90 to 100 bucks bolts are about 60 bucks .now the bolt problem.see if you can weld a old socket on it and see if that works ''or use a cold chiseal and try tapping it around the bolt. or if you can get a lend of a oxy .try and heat up the bolt and see if this will undo it when it is hot.see how you go .i will try to think of some more ideas for you .pm me if still cant get it off

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

did you use hex sockets, if u dont im not suprised you rounded a bolt. gotta use good quality hex sockets

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

another reason could be all the pressure from keepin the head down is all put onto the last bolt, just break the bolts but leave them in until all are broken then take them out...

by sayin broken or break, i dont mean snap the bolt, just crack/break the seal if u know wat i mean

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:42 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

MMMM i can symphasis with you. I changed my head over this weekend and nealy had the same. Rounded one bolt off with a double hex socket (snap on) so got a single hex koten saturday morning still no joy then got a good quailty inpact single hex with a big bar on it, tap the socket down with a hamer and then pull with all your might. If all goes well it will come off. If it is to badly rounded , you will need to weld a nut onto the old head of the bolt.
good luck.[/list]

Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Get the biggest hammer you can find and hit the head of bolt as hard and as square as you can.. Hopefully the shock will loosen up the thread..Yep weld an old ring spanner on it.. Or grind the head off the bolt the used Stilsence [sp] / pipe wrench to undo when head is off..

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

EBXR8380 wrote:
Get the biggest hammer you can find and hit the head of bolt as hard and as square as you can.. Hopefully the shock will loosen up the thread..Yep weld an old ring spanner on it.. Or grind the head off the bolt the used Stilsence [sp] / pipe wrench to undo when head is off..

good advice but the valve springs are in the way and well i'll grind the suka off , for a definite result instead off fekin around anymore

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:25 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

WA, Australia

ive got the same problem. ive cracked the seal on all the bolts but the last one in the order to take em off is rounded. 13mm Impact socket dont work and the 12 is TOO small. ive found that a 1/2'' AF socket fits really good so i ordered one from repco (impact one). stock comes in tomorrow so i'll get it then and try it. all i can say is "this is f**k annoying". i havent been able to gt this bolt off for a month.

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

EALCON 3.9 wrote:
ive got the same problem. ive cracked the seal on all the bolts but the last one in the order to take em off is rounded. 13mm Impact socket dont work and the 12 is TOO small. ive found that a 1/2'' AF socket fits really good so i ordered one from repco (impact one). stock comes in tomorrow so i'll get it then and try it. all i can say is "this is f**k annoying". i havent been able to gt this bolt off for a month.

yep fekkin ANNOYING , i'm hearing ya bad bad bad design. I've got all me rocker ger off and next step is tape up ,cover with raggs (wet em down , no burn) cover everything , plug everything so no grinding sparks enter , and hack the the feker off , i'll get that bastard yet , fekkin bolt

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

also remember that u need to replace all head bolts anyway as they are torque to yield bolts

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

oh and if u think EF/EL's are bad u should try BA's and BF's...

Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Ya beat me to the punch xpression! All the head bolts should be replaced as they are done up to 40Nm (I think) and than turned another 90 degrees. The best way to get em undone (if you have access) is 14mm impact socket and rattle gun. Be sure to give each one a crack with a hammer first!

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:49 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

thx people all good sound advice, so xpression and xhute can give me some detail on the ba setup , i pressume they (ford) got it even more fekked up

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next