Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Head Chamber CC
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Gday fella's, does any one know what cc capacity the chamber on an EF head, with a AU head gasket has to be to get 9.5 - 1 comp ratio. Stock motor so the bore/stroke calculation should be standard. Im going to be using Vortex premium unleaded, is 9.5 - 1 comp what I should be aiming for.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

John Ill CC one of my std heads that ive got here for you and Ill get back to you with a chamber CC volume, You will have to find out about the gasket though as I havnt got the specs for those

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks Jaysen, when I fit the new timing chain, cam gear and valve springs Im going to remove the head, get it flow tested to see what gains the port job has given me, and adjust the compression ratio so the cam should perform even better. Cheer's mate.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

How is the cam going, still happy with it? Has it become any stronger? You mentioned that it was spinning the tyres from standstill before, is it still doing so?

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:13 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

The Ellery's book reckons:

EF/EL I6: 62.25-64.75cc (9.3:1)
EF/EL I6HO: 58-60cc (approx) (9.35:1)

This is with valves and spark plugs installed.
You can compare the above with what Jaysen comes up with - shouldn't be too hard to work out, along with cylinder case displacement.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks snap0964, i'm going to aim for 61-62cc combined with the AU head gasket this should get me close to 9.5 to 1. I would still like to get the compressed thicknesses of the AU and EF head gaskets to work out the difference they make to compression.

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
How is the cam going, still happy with it? Has it become any stronger? You mentioned that it was spinning the tyres from standstill before, is it still doing so?

The cam is running strong, I think the computer needed more than the one hour it got, to adjust to the new cam before I ran it down the quater mile. Yes it's still spining the "wheel" unfortunately still only a single spinner diff, only have to stall it up to around 1200 rpm and she'll spin all the way until the auto changes to second. The auto is holding things back at the moment, is slipping when the cam comes on strong at 4000 rpm, and the changes are really sloppy. Chasing up another auto so I can get some mods done to mine. Might have to look at one of your stall convertors. Also I've noticed the fuel economy is better even with giving it to her every time go for drive, even my wife has commented on the extra power. It's her car.

Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:35 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

WagonDad wrote:
Thanks snap0964, i'm going to aim for 61-62cc combined with the AU head gasket this should get me close to 9.5 to 1. I would still like to get the compressed thicknesses of the AU and EF head gaskets to work out the difference they make to compression.

No probs.
I suppose if you had access to another engine that needed the head removed, you could measure the head height from the deck surface with the head installed, and once it's removed, measure the head height from it's gasket surface and subtract the two.
Might be a bit difficult getting accurate measurements . . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

WagonDad wrote:
Jaysen wrote:

The cam is running strong, I think the computer needed more than the one hour it got, to adjust to the new cam before I ran it down the quater mile. Yes it's still spining the "wheel" unfortunately still only a single spinner diff, only have to stall it up to around 1200 rpm and she'll spin all the way until the auto changes to second. The auto is holding things back at the moment, is slipping when the cam comes on strong at 4000 rpm, and the changes are really sloppy. Chasing up another auto so I can get some mods done to mine. Might have to look at one of your stall convertors. Also I've noticed the fuel economy is better even with giving it to her every time go for drive, even my wife has commented on the extra power. It's her car.

Thats good news, Im glad that we achieved what we set out to do. Several stg 1 customers have reported better fuel economy with the stg 1 installed, I think its due to the added torque that it gives you down low that makes it easier to drive with less throttle.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]