Head Condition *pics* 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Head Condition *pics*
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

Hey all just wondering what you all think of the state of the head, rocker gear thats in my engine,

basically just curious on how it has a oil burnt like look to it, and the condition of the chain and valve springs etc and would it mean to replace them etc.

Thanks.

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Post subject: Re: Head Condition *pics*
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

i think the burnt oil means it hasnt been changed in a while.
when i took the cover off my el it was shiney silver which indicates regular oil changes,

it all should be fine, just clean it off the rockers and if you are going to take the head off get it skimmed, cleaned and check valves are sealing properly before you wack it back on

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

chain tension is generally measured by how much you can pull the chain off the top sprocket while the assembly is together. however doing this by eye is like pissing in the wind if you don't know what to look for.

The burnt oil look happens to anything that's done a few million rotations in oil at a fair temperature. Shiny parts in high km cars usually mean replaced/reco'd parts in my experience. Just like that one suspiciously clean rocker arm :wink:

Is it open for any reason in particular ? If not I'd put if back together properly so it won't leak, without cracking the cover and wait till something actually goes wrong with it. Then you can deal with all those incidental problems that occur also.

If it ain't broke don't fix it :P

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok cool, that one rocker arm doesn't have a shim in it, rattle like f**k, brought all the lifter free additive to hopefully fix it without knowing about this and yeah soon has I took it off I noticed it.

and yeah when I get this job in a few weeks I'm gonna pull the whole engine out and give it a full rebuild, so welch plugs, head gasket, rocker cover gasket, bolts, head shave etc and give if a good degrease oh and fix the rear seal also, leaking at the bell housing and flush all the old coolant out has well.

also was planning on taking the gearbox out has well with the engine and is it easy to do a full oil flush on it while its out of the car,

note first time doing on it and it my only second car :).

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The staining on every thing is because it's only been serviced every 10 000km and/or has had s**t oil in it.

The head it self is clean as it had a gasket replaced at some stage.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

This is the wifes Magna....2001 model, 120,000 km.
The rocker cover gaskets started to leak, hence why the cover is off.
Only ever had Mitsubishi Engine oil in it, and changed every 5,000km or 6 months.....usually works out 5,000km in 6 months anyway.
I also replaced the spark plug tube seals too, as they were hard as a rock too.

Attachments:
IMGP3719.JPG
IMGP3719.JPG [ 370.44 KiB | Viewed 172 times ]
IMGP3718.JPG
IMGP3718.JPG [ 405.6 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Yeah thats where I wanna get with this head, so clean :)

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

my mate bought a triton motor which he was going to strip and rebuild for turbo. little did he know the motor wasnt just blown, it threw a rod through the block, dodgy ebay people. anyway we striped it down neither the less. every single part in the head/block was this burnt oil/stained colour and smelt like s**t. funny thing is the chinese bloke said he was still driving it with hole in the block, claimed it was just "noisy" :roll: ..... anyway i guess just bad service life.

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Who actually pays money for 'blown' motors? Blown motors are free. usable motors cost money.

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Who actually pays money for 'blown' motors? Blown motors are free. usable motors cost money.

seriously, whats it to you if he paid $1 for it? beauty of an ebay bid. wasnt even the point of what i said nor directed at you.
cheers.

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Yeah, not exactly disagreeing but I do know some people who have purchased some 'blown' gems, usually turned into cheap rebuilt conversions. The latest I've seen being a boss 260 purchased and rebuilt for little over $1000. That was to replace a blown motor so when you consider the possible resale potential of the rebuilt original motor or vice versa, there is almost money to be made, just have to know where to get it which is always the hard part.

That's a shyt go but that's what you get from ebay I guess. Sorry but I've heard it many times before, with bikes boats and cars.

A blown motor could be anything from a head gasket, to maybe one or a few rings to perhaps a conrod that wanted out. You never know unless you really know....

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
Yeah, not exactly disagreeing but I do know some people who have purchased some 'blown' gems, usually turned into cheap rebuilt conversions. The latest I've seen being a boss 260 purchased and rebuilt for little over $1000. That was to replace a blown motor so when you consider the possible resale potential of the rebuilt original motor or vice versa, there is almost money to be made, just have to know where to get it which is always the hard part.

That's a shyt go but that's what you get from ebay I guess. Sorry but I've heard it many times before, with bikes boats and cars.

A blown motor could be anything from a head gasket, to maybe one or a few rings to perhaps a conrod that wanted out. You never know unless you really know....

Yeah he wasn't to distraught about the motor, was good fun just ripping it apart and seein that kind of damage. He was building a 4cyl triton engine with a double over head cam conversion and a turbo set up. Due to work needs he needed a 4x4 and sold it to get a v6 triton. Now he is thinking of importing a twin turbo v6 which are a stock motor in a galant or something like that. Give it a bit more go and wil be good fun.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]