Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Head Cracking: Xr6 ECU South Africa
Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Koos Louw wrote:
Tickford 6,

Sory, nearly forgot to ask why the South African Xr6 ECU is so sought after.

Hi Koos,
I am willing to swap your XR6 ECU for my standard ECU, you'll find that your engine will have no more overheating problems. 8-)

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:02 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF XR6

Oustide Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Koos Louw wrote:
Tickford 6,

as fair as i know your emissions regs are not as tight as ours.
and i was also told your ECUs were tunned for higher octane fuel then ours.

so the XR6s you get have more power then ours by way of tunning only.

with you cooling problem. the fact you had no thermostat could well be the problem.. the thermostat in you falcon is a double acting one.

it not only opens water flow to the rad but blocks off flow to other pasages.
when the rad pasage is closed there is a second hole the housing that directs flow back into your water pump. ( the metal pipe from the bottom of the thermostat housing goes back to you water pump)
this is done to warm the engine up evenly.

when the rad pasage opens the othe pasage is blocked off. with out a thermostat you engine is pumping hot water back into it self.

i'm not sure what over heating problem you are talking about, cracked heads are very very uncommon here. head gaskets are the problem and it has been fixed in the AU falcon by using a better gasket.

Legislation is cathing up but up till now we did what we want. We still have 97 octane with unleaded option.(93 octane). Maybe I can try and find one ECU for u.

As far as the head probelm: Ford is checking AU and EF gaskets for me. I took the head in today for repairs. Normally I would discard it but I am taking the chance of welding repair. I will flow the ports a but myself and probably have an exhaust manifold build by a friend of mine.

The gasket looks fine, ( will replace) at some stage! it is the head that failed, and probably caused by overheating!

V8 and 6 cylinder performance enthusiast in South Africa.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:08 am 
Oompa Loompa

Oustide Australia

Slick wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
Koos Louw wrote:
Tickford 6,

Hi Koos,
I am willing to swap your XR6 ECU for my standard ECU, you'll find that your engine will have no more overheating problems. 8-)

See my note to Tickford 6, a very unfortunate event sometime caused my head to overheat, resulting in the head cracking. The fact that the termostat was removed by some :shock: contributed to the problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cannot wait to have the Falcon running again, just to leave the BMW's behind.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:17 am 
Oompa Loompa

Oustide Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
Koos Louw wrote:
Tickford 6,

as fair as i know your emissions regs are not as tight as ours.
and i was also told your ECUs were tunned for higher octane fuel then ours.

so the XR6s you get have more power then ours by way of tunning only.

with you cooling problem. the fact you had no thermostat could well be the problem.. the thermostat in you falcon is a double acting one.

when the rad pasage is closed there is a second hole the housing that directs flow back into your water pump. ( the metal pipe from the bottom of the thermostat housing goes back to you water pump)

when the rad pasage opens the othe pasage is blocked off. with out a thermostat you engine is pumping hot water back into it self.

i'm not sure what over heating problem you are talking about, cracked heads are very very uncommon here. head gaskets are the problem and it has been fixed in the AU falcon by using a better gasket.

I have visited this forum quite often in the last 18 months and have noticed that overheating/higher temperatures of the engine were discussed on a number of occassions, and therefor assumed that this is a common problem. That is why I Asked some questions in Aug 04 about controlling the fans. I think you also commented on connecting the fans with a remote switch, which I investigated but due to lack of info on ECU
could never do the info. Later in jan 05 I replaced the radiator.

But , the learning curve never ends. Thank you for your help.
I will keep you informed on my repairs.

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
the thermostat in you falcon is a double acting one.

Ford have since changed that style of thermostat. The new genuine one that was installed before christmas into my car has no bottom plate.
Previously on my EA the LPG installer drilled holes into this plate to assist flow into the heater hoses to prevent the converter freezing.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Post subject: Still Overheating.
Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:48 am 
Oompa Loompa

Oustide Australia

Three weeks later and the head bolted back on. New head bolts and gaskets and termostat. I started the engine to check for leaks and operating temperature. The temp. was fine, between M and A but the head temp felt very high, on stopping the engine you could hear water boiling. I removed the termostat to ckeck the flow of water but not sure if its OK. I removed the pump, looks fine. Does anyone know the tolerance between the impeller and the volute? At what temp must the second speed on the fans work? Please help! I also have a new radiator fitted.

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

my ebII has cracked in exactly the same way as you discribe. about a year ago the radiator split and it got hot a few times :roll: and has recenly started useing water. opend it up today and found one of the head bolts on number 4 was missing its head and founf cracks around the water gallery on the exaust side of the head around number 4 chamber. lots of water stains and number 4 spark plug almost rusted away :oops:

stick ya taxi up ya jacksie

Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Oustide Australia

460cixy wrote:
my ebII has cracked in exactly the same way as you discribe. about a year ago the radiator split and it got hot a few times :roll: and has recenly started useing water. opend it up today and found one of the head bolts on number 4 was missing its head and founf cracks around the water gallery on the exaust side of the head around number 4 chamber. lots of water stains and number 4 spark plug almost rusted away :oops:

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2