Fordmods Logo

Head gasket leaking 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Head gasket leaking
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Xh Ute

QLD, Australia

I took it to get a major service and turns out I got a leaky head gasket which isnt good. The mechanic said it could blow in 2 days or 2 years!
If its bad, how cheap would it be to get a new head put on (from a similar model) and would it be possible to use a tickford head? or even just transfer an entire tickford engine over (I was going to install a BBM anyway) or is that not allowed on p plates?
Thanks fellas!

Post subject: Re: Head gasket leaking
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF II Gas Ute

ACT, Australia

Hi,

Get the gasket replaced, unless you have cooked it the head should be fine.

Regards 96ELGli

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:14 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

skitskit470 wrote:
I took it to get a major service and turns out I got a leaky head gasket which isnt good. The mechanic said it could blow in 2 days or 2 years!
If its bad, how cheap would it be to get a new head put on (from a similar model) and would it be possible to use a tickford head? or even just transfer an entire tickford engine over (I was going to install a BBM anyway) or is that not allowed on p plates?
Thanks fellas!

Engine transfer isn't really a modification, so you could probably get away with it on your P's. If you can find yourself a cheapish Tickford motor, I'm sure it will be easier than doing a head gasket in engine bay.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

replace it with a tickford head and a new cam while your there. Use an au mls gasket so it wont blow again.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:38 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

In my honest opinion its probably cheaper to get a replacement motor dropped in with low kms. The Xh seem to have a common problem with the head going aswell so it'll be hard to find a good second hand head unless its a tickford head. My ef when the head went was going to cost me $1600 just for the head + labour wasn't included so all up I woulda paid $2000 easy where as a engine swap was only $1600- $1800 drive in drive out

When you have a model with common head probs its a good idea to upgrade like I was gonna do like ef -au . Just a opinion from a fellow ford modder

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

123esproc wrote:
In my honest opinion its probably cheaper to get a replacement motor dropped in with low kms. The Xh seem to have a common problem with the head going aswell so it'll be hard to find a good second hand head unless its a tickford head. My ef when the head went was going to cost me $1600 just for the head + labour wasn't included so all up I woulda paid $2000 easy where as a engine swap was only $1600- $1800 drive in drive out

When you have a model with common head probs its a good idea to upgrade like I was gonna do like ef -au . Just a opinion from a fellow ford modder

It depends on his budget, but personally id replace the gasket, i just bought a futura with 120k on it and the headgasket is blown. Its never a sure thing buying a second hand engine to fix a problem. especially a headgasket. It may cos more but will probly be worth it in the long run.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:33 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 58 images

Ride: 2009 ve ss manual L98

SA, Australia

True!! But that's something I don't have a lot of is money so for me it was cheaper therefore more economical for me . If you have the money by all means spend it haha xD

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

123esproc wrote:
True!! But that's something I don't have a lot of is money so for me it was cheaper therefore more economical for me . If you have the money by all means spend it haha xD

understandable, a different motor would probly work out cheaper depending on where you get your work done.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hey guys awesome replies!!! The mechanic opened her up and turns out its a tapet cover gasket thats the major source of the problem thank god! When I get it home I plan on getting a tickford head and regrinding the cam just a bit and fitting that to it. To make it inconspicuous im going to paint thr cover black. At this time ill be installing a bbm intake. How much would this run me if im installing it at home? ( regrinding, shaving the head etc) thanks guys!

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

skitskit470 wrote:
Hey guys awesome replies!!! The mechanic opened her up and turns out its a tapet cover gasket thats the major source of the problem thank god! When I get it home I plan on getting a tickford head and regrinding the cam just a bit and fitting that to it. To make it inconspicuous im going to paint thr cover black. At this time ill be installing a bbm intake. How much would this run me if im installing it at home? ( regrinding, shaving the head etc) thanks guys!

sounds like you will need a j3 chip also. best bet is to call around a few shops to get price on shaving the head flat for you, and if your handy with tools you can save alot of money.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

What shops are reputable to tune the car, shave the head or regrind a cam? Brisbane located btw? Ive looked but cant seem to find many for the xh.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

skitskit470 wrote:
What shops are reputable to tune the car, shave the head or regrind a cam? Brisbane located btw? Ive looked but cant seem to find many for the xh.

i got my cam from wade cams in melbourne, give him a call and see what he says. he will provide postage at your cost. As for machine shops i cant help you in queensland sorry.

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

So send him my cam, get it reground and sent back?? How much would that run me? 600 all up? Or should i just buy a new cam from him and save time?

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

skitskit470 wrote:
So send him my cam, get it reground and sent back?? How much would that run me? 600 all up? Or should i just buy a new cam from him and save time?

pretty sure he charges around $200 with changeover cam, you'll need an extra set of shims in your lifters though

Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

And i guess postage all up would be 200? How much and where would i get new shims? Ford?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next