Fordmods Logo

Head Gasket/Timing related problem 

Page 3 of 3 [ 32 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:58 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

joolz wrote:
I just read that you may have a timing issue. Bridge the left top and bottom pinds in the diagnostic plug in the dash. Ensure engine had correct idle speed (750rpm in park) and is at running temp. Start engine and the revs will raise to approx 1500rpm, they will then drop to approx 750rpm. After approx 2 min the car will almost stall then revs will stablise. After that check timing (TDC +/- 2 deg for EL I6) you will only have 1 min approx to do timing. If you go over that start again. Now EL is different to EF and before (Check timing in diagnostic straight after revs come down from 1500rpm)

Ive set the ignition timing properly. But when i do that, the car doesnt want to rev. It seems like the vavle are open when the engine is firing. It will be reving at 700rpm and i go and take it for a drive and there will be no power and will still stay at 700rpm (the car doesnt move). If i give it too much gas, it will backfire and turn off.

The only way for me to drive the car is to retard or advance the timing(no sure which one it is. The mark moves to the left of TDC mark.) This is when the car wont pass 3000-3500rpm.
Does this mean that the cam is not lined up properly to the engine? Because that is what im thinking

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

todays update. I found out that the intake valve was coming down before TDC. It was 2 links out.
Fixed all. Then i took it for a test drive. All going well then i gave the car. To see if it would pass the 3000rpm mark. It went above 4000rpm. Then i back off braked and started turning into the corner. That when i notice the engine stoped.
Towed the car back to my house and it has no spark.
What should i be looking at now? Might go get another coil for my car.
I check the engine fuse and thats all good.

Is there any other fuses i should check?
Should i check anything else?

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3