Fordmods Logo

head gaskets, what the go with AU gaskets on EF's? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: head gaskets, what the go with AU gaskets on EF's?
Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:44 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

have to do mine very soon, have read where others say use the AU gasket when you do it ... why do they say that? .. something about it's a metal gasket? .. how do you get on sealing the head then if it is a metal gasket? ... or is it metal sandwiched between sealing compound on each side?

please explain :D

anything else have to be replaced when this is done? ... i know about replacing the head bolts

my engines done about 160,000 and is in pretty good nick other than the head gasket that is :lol:

what sort of service life does the timing chain have?

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

supposebly the AU head gaskets last longer as they are metal.
maybe use some Molymar or Copper Gasket spray stuff to help it seal? Not sure if your ment to - usually they have instructions telling you the torque setting and weather or not to use some sealing compound.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:05 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
maybe use some Molymar or Copper Gasket spray stuff to help it seal? Not sure if your ment to - usually they have instructions telling you the torque setting and weather or not to use some sealing compound.

ok, so the stock one lasted 160,000 ... question is will i still have the car in another 160,000 ...

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dddp! wrote:
twr7cx wrote:

ok, so the stock one lasted 160,000 ... question is will i still have the car in another 160,000 ...

when dads eb did the gasket he thought he'd never have it long enough to worry about doing a second one. yet on 280 000 he still had it when it did the second gasket.

Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

i dont think they are that expensive anyway. they are a bette gasket so wether you are keeping it or not better to get it.

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF & EA

VIC, Australia

I did the head on wifeys EF 2 weeks ago. Have fun!

The gaskets are as you said - steel sandwiched in gooey crap that is a b**ch to scrape off the block (The one that was on it was the same). Head gasket fits EA-AU 3.2, 3.9, 4.0 (all same).

Splitting the inlet manifold (top off) makes it a cinch to get off.

Didn't split the exhaust manifold as my "big a*** VRS gasket kit" did not come with the gasket that goes in the two halves... You don't need to anyway.

My instructions said to torque AU series slightly differently to earlier models - thats all. Someone wrote in here somewhere to use the AU torque settings - I have no idea why? I did 40Nm then 90deg - It hasn't fallen off yet!

And yes - change the head bolts ($30) as they are "torque to yield". Once you have torqued them up and stretched them - it is not a very bright idea to re-use them! Not like the good old days....

Dunno about the timing chain? It is double row. Guess it gets back to that "how long are you keeping it for....."

Shane.

If I can't eat it, f#$k it or fix it with a screwdriver... I lose interest!

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:17 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

shansta wrote:
My instructions said to torque AU series slightly differently to earlier models - thats all. Someone wrote in here somewhere to use the AU torque settings - I have no idea why? I did 40Nm then 90deg - It hasn't fallen off yet!
Shane.

whats the go with this torque procedure? ... torque to 40Nm then 90deg .. what's the "then 90deg" part mean?

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

1 quartar of a revolution

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Just a quick question, mine engine had done roughly the same amount of k's as dddp's, roughly how much does it cost to get a mechanic to fit a new one. my mechanic charges $55 an hour, so how long does it take?

cheers fellas

"if you think Jesus is famous.... you should try Ron Jermey"

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

dog boy wrote:
Just a quick question, mine engine had done roughly the same amount of k's as dddp's, roughly how much does it cost to get a mechanic to fit a new one. my mechanic charges $55 an hour, so how long does it take?

cheers fellas

Depends how good the mechanic is usually about 8 hours unless bolts break or some other person has stripped things :twisted: :twisted:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:01 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Krytox wrote:

lol, i know what 90deg is

i'm a mechanical fitter and i've never heard of such a measurement before when torquing bolts, spark plugs yes, bolts no .... weird

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

dddp! wrote:
Krytox wrote:

i'm a mechanical fitter and i've never heard of such a measurement before when torquing bolts, spark plugs yes, bolts no .... weird

we worked it out with a torque wrench what the torque should be 90* after 40nm, I forget now though...

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Hi,
Go the AU head gasket...
When my wife's EL Monty required the head gasket changed, I used the AU gasket. No problems. The head was machined as well, plus new head bolts. Sealed better than my earlier effort of an aftermarket VRS upon my EF XR6...
Allan

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EF & EA

VIC, Australia

dddp! wrote:
Krytox wrote:

yeah, same here - interesting that the instuctions were different for the earlier models (EA-EL) think it was 30Nm then 120deg? I threw the bit of paper out dammit! Had the same set of instuctions in the gasket kit as well.

If I can't eat it, f#$k it or fix it with a screwdriver... I lose interest!

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:52 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

shansta wrote:
yeah, same here - interesting that the instuctions were different for the earlier models (EA-EL) think it was 30Nm then 120deg? I threw the bit of paper out dammit! Had the same set of instuctions in the gasket kit as well.

am going to do the 1st bolt using that spec, the 40Nm plus 90deg ... them take note of torque figure and replicate it for all the other bolts ... no wonder it's a common problem with head gaskets failing, bolts shearing etc ... personally tho i think most all mechanics/etc would do the same thing

i've worked on power house diesel engines and have had torque specs that inculude using a micrometre (yes it was a f*cking big one!) to measure bolt stretch on big-end bearing caps, (just to highlight another extreme) but never have i come across something as dodgy as that

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next