Head options 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Head options
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Whats better, an au tickford head on the Ef or to keep the stock head ( in good cond) and get it shaved and rebuild with a lumpy cam? The Ef has 175 on the clock, so the heads going to be due sooner rather than later and want to know best options. If I go an au tickford I am going to have to get it machined, bathed etc, so the price to rebuild the one I have will be about equal to cost of the au tickford... so whats the better head setup?

Post subject: Re: Head options
Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

If you already have the AU, use it.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Na dont have the au vct but I can grab one off ebay if I hunt for under $300, then add machine shop prices of $250 to $500 ...... Got one in mind thats cheap at the moment with all parts and new cam off a donk thats done 200,000k

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

How much can the stock Ef head be shaved 30 thou

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I wouldn't get the AU VCT, the head itself isn't any better than the stock one and they will be overpriced, plus if you get a cam down the track renders the VCT null and void.

With the EF head it depends on how much has been taken off before...there is a line on the head showing the minimum recommended thickness.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Keep the EF head and buy a set of Pep-pro 48mm/41mm valves. (up from 47/39)
Blend the seats into port.
The EF head has a greater cross section in stock form and out flows the AU stock vs stock.

Have the head shop punch the valve guides out and reduce the length by 2mm using the shortest one as the standard, then taper the end that protrudes into the port. When they go back in they should be set with the same protrusion on the spring side as when they cam out.
Like this.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks man thats good advise. I have driven ef tickford's and yes they go hard but a shaved head should give me more pickup I would think. What do the i6's go like with a shaved head? Does it liven them up a bit?

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Extra compression always helps. But be careful.
the AU head gasket is about 20thou and the EF gasket is about 50thou.

I'd just go to the AU gasket and only take enough off the head to get it flat.

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So thats why blokes go the au gasket... not been a ford man long so learning all the tricks. In theory putting on an au gasket is like shaving the head. You do plenty of heads Tickford, whats your optinion on the best material for head gaskets?

Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

The AU MLS is pretty much the pick of the bunch and it was what stopped the head gasket failures.

Reducing the gasket thickness by 30thou is actually more of a reduction in CC then shaving the head by 30thou.

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If I run an Ef tickford cam and gear on a stock ef head, au injectors, extractors and stock fuel reg off a stock ecu, will I get some poke without too higher fuel consumption or will the stock ecu and reg render the cam upgrade useless?

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon EL

NSW, Australia

wont need au injectors and reg will be fine

how bigger cam did you put in it? you might need a tune if its auto, your fuel comp shouldnt go up to much baby a litre or half depends on how you drive

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

79raven wrote:
If I run an Ef tickford cam and gear on a stock ef head, au injectors, extractors and stock fuel reg off a stock ecu, will I get some poke without too higher fuel consumption or will the stock ecu and reg render the cam upgrade useless?

i was considering getting an ef ticky cam but really theres not much of a difference worth talking about in the cams, i was looking at one that was for sale very cheap, the best standard cam ive been told to use is an ea mpfi cam, as its got the highest lift in standard form
and as for au fuel injectors, they are better because they have more than one hole for the fuel to come out of making a better burn as the fuel is turned into more of a misty spray being , pushed out of 4 smaller holes, the ef ones have one single hole i believe.
if your after a decent amount of power you can get the head ported and use a mild cam and get a very good gain considering

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so what to do? I dont want to change the i6's feel so to speak. I just wished it would pull harder. The tickford 6 I drove ( el ghia) went hard but still had that off the mark slug feel to it and most blokes I have spoken to that have done cams in Holdens say the sound changes and the fuel drops faster and thats about it, no massive increase in output. Thought maybe the Fords cam would give better response as alot of bloke go down that line. Whats the Tickford output increase compared to stock, 15kw? Bottom end on a Tickford donk is the same as stock? Sorry guys new to the ford scene.
Would my cash be better spent in dropping off the stock Ef's head to a machine shop and leaving it stock with an au gasket and getting a j3 and better air induction?

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:19 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon EL

NSW, Australia

the big slug feeling is the stuipid high tall first gear, change your diff ratios to 3.9 or something and you will get much much quicker off the line, with a tune,a new cam and higher diff ratios. you will be going alot quicker then any v6 commodore.

are you on your Ps?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next