Head or motor 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Head or motor
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XC V8

SA, Australia

Hey guys

my car is droping a cylender when i plant my foot and wont come back untill the car has stoped for a while, and it smells like coolent, i am loosing coolent and i have to fill my tank every 4 weeks or so, could this be more then a head issue, is it worth replacing my 3.9 with a 4.0 out of a EF or even a ED tickford motor, or just do the head

1976 XC falcon
182 Clio Sport

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

depends on the price. around ehre you can sometimes find cheap 4.0L motors second hand, and could get a taxi joint to do a cashie to swap the engine over (I doubt your gunna be able to find anyone that can do it quicker, and there usually flexible with hours - i.e. evenings and weekends as there used to getting taxis back on the road ASAP to make money). Basically what I'm saying is around here you could have all that done for around a grand. But still leaves you with a second hand engine...

To do the head your looking at something like $150 in gaskets, plus the head machining, what's that $100 bucks or so, fair bit cheaper but your still stuck with your same bottom end - which there's possibly nothing wrong with.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

for the cost of a new head or reco'ing your existing one.. you can buy and fit a second hand engine out of a newer model falcon.

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

That really depends on how much work the head needs. If its just a normal head gasket replacement, $80 for replacement gasket and bolts and $55 to have the head refaced is all its going to set you back.

Spotted a damaged pano down at upullit north yard with a hybrid engine in it, could be a good option.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: XC V8

SA, Australia

well im told that the 4.0 was better on fuel then the 3.9, if i had the 4.0 while its out the car i can shave the heas fit an au head gasket, maby new rings and pistons and leave me a new motor almost, i think the 4.0 revs alot nicer. any ones opinions, as i dont know if there is any dammage to the motor as a cylender drops out so i may have done some dammage.

1976 XC falcon
182 Clio Sport

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]