Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Head Pic's
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

Just put a few Home Head Port Job pictures in my User Gallery, might be of some interest to some people???? Hope I got the titles right, concentration and beer don't go together.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Last edited by WagonDad on Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:58 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Great job, nice pics mate.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

did you do that work yourself?
Dynoed/Flow tested?

Looks nice.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

justfordima wrote:
did you do that work yourself?
Dynoed/Flow tested?

Looks nice.

Cheers

Yeah did all the port work at home. Have got a compressor and die grinder a couple of carbide burr's, went out and bought some flap wheels, cartridge rolls and grinding stones. Did a lot of searching on the internet, talked to as many people as possible and read heaps of articles over the last year. Didn't get it flow tested doing every thing on a budget. Its the only mod ive done so far so the head work wont give any real gains until extarctors and exhaust are fitted. Having Wildcat 21X extractors, high flow cat, Lukey 2 1/2 mandrel bent mid pipe with straight through muffler and Manta 2 1/2 mandrel bent tail pipe with resinator fitted 24th of this month. Then I hope to get the drags and let the 1/4 mile times tell the story, I dont want to go down the dyno path just yet not until I can afford a after market chip/edit.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Post subject: ...
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL FAIRMONT GHIA 97

WA, Australia

whats are the benifits of port and polishing the head? does it increase the compression? give me more power? fuel econemoy? just would like to know if possible,

cheers

-------EL Fairmont Ghia with CUstome BA XR body kit-------

Post subject: Re: ...
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

RustyEF wrote:
whats are the benifits of port and polishing the head? does it increase the compression? give me more power? fuel econemoy? just would like to know if possible,

cheers

The main aim of a port and polish is to increase air flow through the head, more air more fuel more power. But porting alone wont gain much, its when fitting extractors, performance exhaust and mainly the cam where you get the benifits of head porting. Porting wont increase compression, to do this you would shave the head and or fit a AU three layer metal head gasket. Fuel economy will be improved in most cases but with all that new found power you tend to stick your boot into it more often, so fuel economy goes out the window.

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:05 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Fairmont 2001 series 3

VIC, Australia

i like it mate

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:40 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

So what did you do on the short side radius. I read that article on autospeed about porting the AU head but not quite sure how much and exactly where to concentrate on the short side radius.

Turbo 6s rule

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:28 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

If you know what you are getting in terms of extractors and cam, then thats good. So then you matched the head work with those? IF so, she will definately hum.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

turbotrana wrote:
So what did you do on the short side radius. I read that article on autospeed about porting the AU head but not quite sure how much and exactly where to concentrate on the short side radius.

Didnt do much on the intake port, mainly just blended the bowl to the valve insert, smoothed out the short radius didnt take off to much material at all and smoothed the entry of the port, at the entry the port tappered in and changed size wasn't a smooth transition. I concentrated on the exhaust a bit more, the exhaust port is quite small and not as direct as the intake. Worked mainly on the small radius, working from the centre of the small radius I removed about 1.5mm to 2mm and then just smoothed outwards from there to blend back into the valve insert and the port floor. Did almost the same to the small radius where the port turns back to the right. Most people I talked to said the intake port was already big enough didnt want to slow the port air speed down, thats why I didnt do much more than smoothing and blending. The exhaust port is small and this is where most gains can be made I could have gone further but didnt want to stuff a new head.

Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lancer Coupe

VIC, Australia

LMAO, i just realised that not much would be taken off the ports. I used to think that it would be a half inch bigger pipe once the job was done.

F**k i'm stupid.

Good job.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]