Fordmods Logo

Head work and performance queries 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Head work and performance queries
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

may be looking at having to rip the head off the el for a new gasket (possibly) and while its off i'd be thinking of having some work done to it to give it a bit of a boost along the way.

ive got a mate who'd do the job with me for just about nothing and i know a guy who is ford nuts and a performace engine builder that would do the grinding for just about nothing.
ive got the EL hybrid motor and want to know if i was to shave the head, by how much.
if i was going to ask for the ports to be opened a bit, how much and where\what?
what performance gains anyones gotten from a port job and resultant fuel consumption. im more interested in fuel economy tho.

and i know some of this has been covered but i read the stickies and yes, its a 'how long is a piece of string question', but i just want a ballpark figure.

Cheers

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

when they recondition heads they almost always shave the head, it's not a 20rwkw solution.
It's a finish solution.
shaving your head to give you power involves increasing compression, taking measurements of your current compression & working out a 'ballpark figure' & shaving it off from there.. slowly.
no1 on this forum could tell you without looking at & measuring the head could comment on how much to take off, you need to consider compression, displacement, valve clearance, it's a big job.
a half decent engine builder shouldn't be asking you how much to take off, he should be giving you options, at least telling you what does what & what he recomends... if he knows what hes talkin about, YOUR paying HIM not the other way around.
also, you get what you pay for with alot of things in life. i haven't seen too many RELIABLE big movers for little outlay.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Post subject: Re: Head work and performance queries
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
may be looking at having to rip the head off the el for a new gasket (possibly) and while its off i'd be thinking of having some work done to it to give it a bit of a boost along the way.

ive got a mate who'd do the job with me for just about nothing and i know a guy who is ford nuts and a performace engine builder that would do the grinding for just about nothing.
ive got the EL hybrid motor and want to know if i was to shave the head, by how much.
if i was going to ask for the ports to be opened a bit, how much and where\what?
what performance gains anyones gotten from a port job and resultant fuel consumption. im more interested in fuel economy tho.

and i know some of this has been covered but i read the stickies and yes, its a 'how long is a piece of string question', but i just want a ballpark figure.

Cheers

The answer to "How long is a piece of string?" is the distance between the ends.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

ok, i imagine the head will get a bit more compression in it etc etc.

if it was ported and had the shave, i'd loose top end because of the increased compression. least thats what happens with the 2 strokes i work with.

anyone seen any fuel consumption differences with this stuff?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

yeah Ive got a port job, engine revs up smoother, i havent seen any loss of fuel yet. but i dont really flog her much.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: E-Hybrid Falcon

NSW, Australia

creating a more efficient burn should make it more economical. providing your not uprating your fuel pressures or injector pulse.
& efi four strokes are constantly monitored by the ecu & infinately adjusting fuel & spark instead of reed valves. might be a bit of difference.

crow cam,cai,exaust,bbm,190 reg & el injectors,xr6 interior,guages,white cluster,pioneer/mtx stereo,big boot install w.i.p, 17"rims,koni/pedders shocks&springs with nolathane re-bush,ssv kit,stainless inserts,clear lights,t5 & short shifter,chardonay/pearl paint

Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Your VE changes when you increase comp due to heat transfer in to the air/fuel mix as it enters the cylinders, and also due to the lessened cylinder volume that is caused by upping the comp. As you said, 2 strokes are bad for this as they blowdown, scavenge, and by the time that the transfer port is closed, your volume above the piston is reduced again due to heat transfer and increased comp pushing fresh charge out the exhaust port, basically repeating the blowdown cycle again before closing the EX port

To give my 2 cents worth, smooth the short side radius on the exhaust ports, as they are quite square from std, and blend the seats in to the bowls. Easy job to do and your mate should be able to knock it over in a couple of hours. This will keep velocities up and not have too much influence on your fuel consumption figures.

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]