Fordmods Logo

Headers and CAI's - WHICH are WORTH the MONEY? NEED ADVICE!! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Headers and CAI's - WHICH are WORTH the MONEY? NEED ADVICE!!
Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:35 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Nissan Skyline

SA, Australia

Hey guys,

Just got some quotes on the following (I live in Adelaide):

Pacemaker Competition Headers + fitting- $450
Advance Headers + fitting - $450 (includes removal of cat)

SS Induction Big Mouth CAI + fitting - Approx $350

1) Are Pacemaker COMPETITION headers worth the extra money - and do they ACTUALLY make a noticeble power difference over the normal pacie headers?

2) Are ADVANCE Headers made by GENIE... and has anyone tried them out?

3) Is the SS Induction CAI for >> $350 << worth the extra money (ABOUT $320 MORE) over the AUII XR8 Snorkel?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Some people stand by thier SS induction setup, but a lot beieve that its not worth the money. I personally cant see the money. For the money your looking at spending I would probably look in to a cam first. There is a nice EL that is in my area that runs low 14's with a std ex manifold, so they arnt as bad as people make out. TS50EB knows the guy too :wink:

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:15 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

i have just installed a SS inductions kit onto my std EL and i am very happy with the results, but at the same time i made up a block off plate in behind the grille and then cut a hole in the plastic cover (that goes over the grille and headlights) to the right of the bonnet latch the same size as the intake hole of the snorkel. Now what ever air that goes into the grille is now directed to the air intake :D . The car now has heaps more throttle response at 100kph for overtaking and more fuel economy. Also gained some bottom end tourqe (wants to wheelspin now) got to be happy about that. Hope that helps you, i would put some pics up to show you but i am not very good with computers :? only just worked out how to post a reply :oops:

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Pacemaker competition headers are really only effective for the motors that have been modded for high revving and high end performance. If you're not spending all your time up around 5000 rpm then the comp headers are not useful. Pacemaker's regular headers are more in line for low and mid range boost.

The regular CAI's are worth like $40 and will deal with most of your air intake needs quite easily. The SS is slightly larger in air volume passing through, I think, and would be better off for those people who are actually going to seriously work their motors for major power and spend thousands and thousands on the throttle body and back from that. Those SS kits can be had for closer to $200 if you shop around too.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

How much would a cam cost me, and how would i go about gettin one...? I thought a cam would cost me around $1000, but if they can be bought for around $450, then is it worth gettin a cam, instead of headers (first off anyway...)

Thanks for advice with the CAI, i have just ordered a AUII XR8 Snorkel from Ford (in Adelaide they all seem to cost $38.50) ->>>> but im not complaining :twisted:

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Good move with the Ford XR8 snorkel and cheap too and all you need to top it off is a decent panel filter. As for deciding between headers / exhaust and a different cam, I would be of the opinion that the headers / exhaust combo would give you greater power gain for less expense. I'm sure a few other folks here will happily share their opinion on this too.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:54 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks vic.

What do u mean by a 'decent' panel filter ->>> is there a difference between no brands _and_ K&N?????????

Coz ive seen K&N Panel filters for OVER $100... ISNT THAT HEAPS OF MONEY? Or is there a noticeable performance \ response improvement...?

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

Toras wrote:
Thanks vic.

What do u mean by a 'decent' panel filter ->>> is there a difference between no brands _and_ K&N?????????

Coz ive seen K&N Panel filters for OVER $100... ISNT THAT HEAPS OF MONEY? Or is there a noticeable performance \ response improvement...?

There's a noticable increase, and they also last forever because you just need to clean them and they're back to new.

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Toras wrote:
Thanks vic.

They do cost a lot more than bog standard filters but then again, air filters like BMC, K&N etc are high flow filters. They also last much much longer than the standard air filters. I have K&N fitted and I think it's claim is to be able to last for 1,000,000 kilometers before it needs to be replaced and they can be cleaned every 50,000 kilometers and used again and again - hence the price. Regular air filters are one use only after which you discard them.

---->http://www.knfilters.com/filtercharger.htm<----

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

If you can't fit the SS yourself then I dunno then you should have a licence. And 350 for them is a waste. There usually 250 (even that's too high for moulded plastic - i guess your paying for a concept).

What do you mean is the price of the Pacie Comps worth the extra? From what I've read above the quote for the Pacies and Advance were both 450, so were's the extra? I wouldn't touch the Advance purely because it means removing your cat converter - which is illegal and has huge fines! I'd go the pacies comps simply because of the amount of people you can find on this site who are veryu happy with them!

I've done the full exhaust upgrade, and the CAI upgrade, but the best value for moeny was the cam change. It cost me $250 (almost 500 if you include the XR6 ECU I got to make it run that ltitle bit better) and the improvement was equal to the 1000$ exhaust system I did. As for the CAI, I've got a K&N pannel and Tickford snorkel and I didn't notice much improvement.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:57 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Get the pacemaker comps they do work check my gallery i think i posted the before and after results of them on my AU there.

CAI well it all looks good but won't do anything on a mild engine honestly save the bucks for the pacies which do work.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:29 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Get the XR8 snorkel, cheap, does help ($20)
Get the pacies, proven performance ($450)
Get a cam, proven performance ($<500)

The smile on your face - priceless

:lol:

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Sorry... i meant, i was quoted about $50 cheaper for NORMAL pacemaker headers... but i think il stick to the competition headers :)

Yeah... the guy who was quoting me on the advance headers said he could remove my cat for free (and sounded like he wanted too)... saying that my exhaust system would be much better and free flowing (i was thinkin... mmm... thats illegal)

I checked out the photo of the SS Bigmouth Induction kit $350 compared to the Tickford XR8 Snorkel $30 --->>> and they're the same bloody thing. The ticky is wider, and the bigmouth is a bit taller (but they are very similar)

So i bought the XR8 Snorkel for $33 and have been very happy with it (apart from idle issues...)

Um... WHERE exactly did you buy ur CAM for $250???!! thats super cheap.
What brand + did that price including fitting? also can someone PLEASE tell me where to get an AUTO XR6 ECU, and whether they are worth gettin...

Mmm... thanks for your advice guys!

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Toras wrote:
Um... WHERE exactly did you buy ur CAM for $250???!! thats super cheap.
What brand + did that price including fitting? also can someone PLEASE tell me where to get an AUTO XR6 ECU, and whether they are worth gettin...

Buddy, it's plasted every were on this site were to get your cam from WADE! there 120 bucks, that's all. The $250 was the total cost for the installation - all new gaskets and retainer clips, blah blah blah... If your in a big city - Melbourne, Sydney, what ever, you'll easily find a member who'll help or install your cam for you.

The XR6 auto ECU's are debatable. There 200 to 250, and hard to find, yes, there is some imrovement, but the money coould probably be spent elsewere for better bang for buck!

Posted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Oh... miscommunication ---->

I meant where can i get a cam (ie: wadecam) in ADELAIDE.

I already checked wade's site and saw that theyr not located in Adelaide :cry:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next