Fordmods Logo

Headers for EL XR6 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Headers for EL XR6
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 97 EL XR6

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I'm a little confused on the topic of headers for EL XR6's.

I know that headers are great for extracting exhaust gases from the engine and that they do make a difference to a Gli or a Futura. However I was told that XR6's do not need bigger headers as the exhaust port are large enough and therefore using larger headers will not improve that performance of the car that much.

Is this true? and if not I was thinking of a set of PM 4480. based on experience can someone tell me if they noticed a difference in performance in their EL XR6.

Cheers
Pete

Post subject: Re: Headers for EL XR6
Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

you get different feedback on this forum from this topic, some people say the standard ones flow good already so it doesnt matter unless the engines worked, others say they work a treat,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:09 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

a set of extractors will help it breath ALOT better than the stock coon manifold. You do need to weigh up cost vs. gain though. Extractors will also need to have the cat modified to suit as well, does not cost much, but it is another cost. Anything that says bolt on, never bolts on!

I would do it again. I've had extracors on all my falcons, engine revs better, does increase power, Just don't bother with the JMM ones, overrated.

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:30 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

TAS, Australia

Hi Mate,

I have an 97 EL EXR6, before I put my pacemakers on, my motor struggled to rev and make power past 3500 RPM, after 'freeing' up the exhaust side I can happily rev to redline and the car seems to pull all the way, added an exhaust as well to keep it flowing and have never looked back!

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

bry40l wrote:
you get different feedback on this forum from this topic, some people say the standard ones flow good already so it doesnt matter unless the engines worked, others say they work a treat,

Haha, find me a post saying the stock headers flow good, and not to bother unless the motor is worked.
Extractors and exhaust are generally the first things recommended, because the stock cast iron headers suck.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:09 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

DaPlaya wrote:
Hi Mate,

I have an 97 EL EXR6, before I put my pacemakers on, my motor struggled to rev and make power past 3500 RPM, after 'freeing' up the exhaust side I can happily rev to redline and the car seems to pull all the way, added an exhaust as well to keep it flowing and have never looked back!

thanks for the input mate. that was the kind of feedback that I was after

Pete

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:11 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
bry40l wrote:

Haha, find me a post saying the stock headers flow good, and not to bother unless the motor is worked.
Extractors and exhaust are generally the first things recommended, because the stock cast iron headers suck.

Yeah stock headers do suck. However due to the fact that XR6 exhaust ports are larger, I was wondering whether the stock headers were good enough for the XR, not for a normal GLi or Futura

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Yeah, I'm with Ash. The chain is no stronger than the weakest link, and the cast iron manifolds are weak. Putting bigger exhaust ports upstream of the manifold only means there are more gains to be had by putting headers on. My two bits FWIW :D

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ok sweet thanks guys.

Just one more question.
I have these mods done to the car ATM

2.5 Cat back
K&N filter
Wade 1636 Cam
AU injectors
Shift kit (Stage two)

Should I tune my car with after adding these mods?

PM 4480
Hi flow Cat (I think mine is screwed, car is still a little sluggish)

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

plper1 wrote:
ok sweet thanks guys.

Just one more question.
I have these mods done to the car ATM

2.5 Cat back
K&N filter
Wade 1636 Cam
AU injectors
Shift kit (Stage two)

Should I tune my car with after adding these mods?

PM 4480
Hi flow Cat (I think mine is screwed, car is still a little sluggish)

Don't need a tune IMO. Just unplug the ECU for 10 - 15mins to reset it and let it relearn from the start. Car may not idle and may stall the first couple of weeks but later on it will run fine.

Also you got a cam before a full exhaust? You should be able to see some really good gain with the extractors if that's the case. You're pretty much choking your engine with a noose using a stock manifold.

Also Hi-flow cat isn't really necessary, you can always get a stock AU cat and it will work just as fine, however if you're old one is buggered, obviously get it replaced.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Shouldnt need a j3(piggyback chip) with what youve currently got. The computer can accomodate for all of the mods you currently have, however it will still run as ford originally intended (RICH AS f**k!!)
So there is still more power (and probably more importantly, torque through the rev band) and far better fuel economy available if you choose to get a piggyback chip. Get in contact with Jason from tiperformance.com.au (galapogos01 on fordmods and boostedfalcon) and he can let you know about the tuning methods for these falcons.

Cheers

Sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:21 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
plper1 wrote:
ok sweet thanks guys.

Also Hi-flow cat isn't really necessary, you can always get a stock AU cat and it will work just as fine, however if you're old one is buggered, obviously get it replaced.

Are stock AU cats higher flowing than EL's?

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

the sam wrote:
Shouldnt need a j3(piggyback chip) with what youve currently got. The computer can accomodate for all of the mods you currently have, however it will still run as ford originally intended (RICH AS f**k!!)
So there is still more power (and probably more importantly, torque through the rev band) and far better fuel economy available if you choose to get a piggyback chip. Get in contact with Jason from tiperformance.com.au (galapogos01 on fordmods and boostedfalcon) and he can let you know about the tuning methods for these falcons.

Cheers

Sam

Thanks for the tip mate.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:37 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

plper1 wrote:
phongus wrote:
plper1 wrote:
ok sweet thanks guys.

Are stock AU cats higher flowing than EL's?

I would assume so, but don't quote me on that. If your old one is stuffed, just get a brand new hi flow cat...should be fine.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:09 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Do you know if there are any Cats out there that are HI flowing and that are slimline as well? only cos the stock one get a scraped every now and then. If not then I'm not too fussed as I have been surviving with it for a while

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next