Fordmods Logo

Headers Good or not? 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:49 am 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 225

Joined: 29th Jul 2007

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

G'day Guys

Yeas this is another question about headers. I was wonder whether anyone could tell me whether these headers are any good, and if possible give me some pros and cons?

The headers that I m looking at, are Pacemaker PH 4480 - COMPETITION HEADER,

any input will be great


Thanks
Pete
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:03 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2477

Joined: 10th Mar 2007

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

The 4480's are arguably the best set of headers available for the e-series 6's (and AU 6's) i reckon. Id be getting them if i was you :mrgreen:

With those on, the car should pull a bit better through out the rev range with the smaller primaries and tuned length pipes, so i dont see any cons at all to be honest apart from the price tag lol some places charge quite a bit for the 4480's.

 

_________________

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

"Today I signed in to fordmods and saw the same thread I have every day for the last 3 years, fml".

Yes, they are good headers.

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:54 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 225

Joined: 29th Jul 2007

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
The 4480's are arguably the best set of headers available for the e-series 6's (and AU 6's) i reckon. Id be getting them if i was you :mrgreen:

With those on, the car should pull a bit better through out the rev range with the smaller primaries and tuned length pipes, so i dont see any cons at all to be honest apart from the price tag lol some places charge quite a bit for the 4480's.



G'day Mate

Thanks for the input.
I was reading some of the other posts, and you spoke about a heat shield. Just wondering whether it is worth getting the shield or not for road use, or whether you shoud get it if you intend to race? and
Where exactly do you put the shield? Is it the same shield that is used on the stock falcons, where there is an aluminium or a steel sheet which is bolted just above the extractors?

Cheers
Pete
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:59 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 284

Joined: 19th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR6 N/A

Location: Kellyville
NSW, Australia

That is correct goes in the same place...

 

_________________

HOTKA'S XR
18 " King Wheels, Lowered King Springs,DBA Slotted Rotors, Grille, CIA
More to come....

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2477

Joined: 10th Mar 2007

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

Location: Auckland
New Zealand

As hotka said, yeah the shield goes in the same place as the stock item. Krisisdog had a groupbuy running a while ago for them made out of stainless steel that looked quite neat. They would be good for not only shielding heat away from other components in the engine bay e.g brake booster which has been known to split due to high temps etc, but they look pretty good as a bit of engine bay bling. So id say they would be good for both road use and race although for racing id probably go with heat wrap or HPC or use a special heatshield material like the one made by ACL. I would only use a shield if the heat generated by the headers was really bad and you were getting high under bonnet temps most people have the 4480's and other extractors and dont have any heat shield so its not really a must-do thing but it would help. Ive got chrome coated headers so i get quite a bit of heat under the bonnet right now but the bare pipes do look tough lol so i decided against it for now as i may just get them stripped and coated in HPC later on.

 

_________________

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:57 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 225

Joined: 29th Jul 2007

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
As hotka said, yeah the shield goes in the same place as the stock item. Krisisdog had a groupbuy running a while ago for them made out of stainless steel that looked quite neat. They would be good for not only shielding heat away from other components in the engine bay e.g brake booster which has been known to split due to high temps etc, but they look pretty good as a bit of engine bay bling. So id say they would be good for both road use and race although for racing id probably go with heat wrap or HPC or use a special heatshield material like the one made by ACL. I would only use a shield if the heat generated by the headers was really bad and you were getting high under bonnet temps most people have the 4480's and other extractors and dont have any heat shield so its not really a must-do thing but it would help. Ive got chrome coated headers so i get quite a bit of heat under the bonnet right now but the bare pipes do look tough lol so i decided against it for now as i may just get them stripped and coated in HPC later on.




Sweet thanks

yeah the aftermarket headers do look sik. thats why I wanted to know whether it was a must thing or not.

Cheers
Pete
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 659

Joined: 14th Apr 2006

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

Location: Ferntree Gully
VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
id probably go with heat wrap or HPC .
I got mine HPC Coated- what they dont tell you is that if your car is not tuned properly they wont gaurantee the coating staying chrome as untuned cars have higher temps on the headers..........

Image

Image

Image

 

_________________

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:44 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 225

Joined: 29th Jul 2007

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

DRHEMI wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:
id probably go with heat wrap or HPC .
I got mine HPC Coated- what they dont tell you is that if your car is not tuned properly they wont gaurantee the coating staying chrome as untuned cars have higher temps on the headers..........

Image

Image

Image





thanks man, thats good to know, so what your basically saying is to get your car tuned after you get the headers and the exhaust done. Is that correct?

Looks f**kn sikk, def getting them coated. what coating do you have on yours?

Thanks
Pete
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 27

Posts: 1323

Joined: 12th Nov 2006

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 02 xls ute 347

Location: adelaide
SA, Australia

man they look sick i just brought a pair and there in ugly matt black how much that set u back?

 

_________________

02 series 3 AU marline ute 5speed 347 stroker

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 659

Joined: 14th Apr 2006

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

Location: Ferntree Gully
VIC, Australia

plper1 wrote:
thanks man, thats good to know, so what your basically saying is to get your car tuned after you get the headers and the exhaust done. Is that correct?
My mistake was a put a J3 Chip in with a Generic Tune and it made my car run too hot - if you have not got a chip and your car runs fine then you should be okay - I should have waited and had the J3 Dyno Tuned before i fitted and not evem tried a generic tune as it was s**t

plper1 wrote:
Looks f**kn sikk, def getting them coated. what coating do you have on yours?
Thanks
Pete
I have HPC Hipercoat :)

ea_falcon wrote:
man they look sick i just brought a pair and there in ugly matt black how much that set u back?
Prices back in September, 2009 - unsure if they are still current but you get the idea

Quoted Prices on Ceramic Coating Pacemaker 4480's
(All coatings are inside and out)

Jet Hot Sterling Coating (Chrome) $255
Jet Hot Black/Grey/Blue Colour Coating ADD $55

Note Colour Coating is Painted on top of Sterling Coating
Jet Hot have a Courier Service Pick up & Deliver at your Door - at your Cost
Based in Castlemaine Victoria
Phone 03 5470 6416

HPC HiperCoat (Chrome) $250
HPC HiperCoat Extreme (Black) $700+

HPC have a Courier Service Pick up & Deliver at your Door - at your Cost
Based in Leongatha Victoria
Phone: (03) 5662 4719 or (03) 5662 4338

Pacemaker Ceramic Coat (Chrome) $252
Pacemaker Ceramic Coat (Black) $252

Pacemaker don't have a courier you have to send it to them - they will courier it back
Based in South Australia
Phone: (08) 8354 2066

 

_________________

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

DRHEMI wrote:
plper1 wrote:
thanks man, thats good to know, so what your basically saying is to get your car tuned after you get the headers and the exhaust done. Is that correct?
My mistake was a put a J3 Chip in with a Generic Tune and it made my car run too hot - if you have not got a chip and your car runs fine then you should be okay - I should have waited and had the J3 Dyno Tuned before i fitted and not evem tried a generic tune as it was s**t


I think it must have been the tune....either that or dependant on the hpc job.

Although I am only speaking from one set of headers I have seen still lookin good after 2 years.

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 659

Joined: 14th Apr 2006

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

Location: Ferntree Gully
VIC, Australia

Nah the coating was good - still does the same job just doent look as pretty as it did :)

As I said it was as the car was running hot with a Generic Tune J3 Chip that didnt work eg Dyno proved it had 117rwkw and when i removed the J3 Chip it got 137.5rwkw

Mines an extreme case which doesnt really bother me as they still look good and do the same job ")

Image

 

_________________

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 40

Posts: 747

Joined: 16th Dec 2008

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

Location: Adelaide
SA, Australia

I have the 4480's and I swear by them. Certainly worth the extra cash.

 

_________________

Cheers
Shav

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Headers Good or not?
Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:45 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 225

Joined: 29th Jul 2007

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

G'day Guys

What about Prices?

I got a quote for a set of Pacemaker 4480's

Header - $520

Header With Ceramic Coating - $780

Does this sound about right to you guys?

Cheers
Pete
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:29 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names