Post subject: heat wrap on Extractors ?
Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

Quote:
twr7cx
I've heard that putting heat wrap on extractors makes them weaker or something as the heat can't get off them or some crap like that. I dunno.

is this true has any 1 got heat wrap on there extractors?
if so has any 1 had any prob's with it

http://www.revolutionracegear.com.au/?f ... 944FB94049

and scroll down till you get to Exhaust Wrap

EFBIGNIK 145.9 RWKW Falcon / 16.27 @ 86.72mph (Stock)
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... urnout.flv

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ok that didn't work the way i wanted

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EXHAUST INSULATING WRAP

The original Exhaust Insulating Wrap was developed over 12 years ago by Thermo-Tec. Exhaust Insulating Wrap is an innovative way to create more horsepower and reduce under-hood temperatures.

Wrapping headers maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures. Exhaust Insulating Wrap withstands continuous heat up to 2000°F, and contains no asbestos.

Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap will not over-insulate a system when properly installed due to a proprietary coating developed by Thermo-Tec - Thermal Conduction Technology (TCT) - that conducts heat across the wrap's surface. This coating controls heat build-up and dissipation.

Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Da Maverick & xe ute

VIC, Australia

put an au shield over extractors aswell to reduce engine bay temps

Mods: sprint kit, steeda short shift, svo lip, El handles, El Air intake, au xr wheels, lukey cat back, jbl focal and pioneer sterio <--- Sold

Xe ute - Bright green with 302

Da maverick - Straight gas turbo

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:33 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I have been told that the exhaust wrap will weaken the extractors and you can expect the life of the extractors will probably last only 2 years. Exhaust wrap will void any warranty on extractors.

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:59 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

Bluexr6 wrote:
I have been told that the exhaust wrap will weaken the extractors and you can expect the life of the extractors will probably last only 2 years. Exhaust wrap will void any warranty on extractors.

what a load of wank

how can it weaken them?

they are pourous so if there is any water will be able to evaperate out
as thats all i can see affectign the extractors

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

A while back an exhaust guy said wrapping the headers will course cracks around the welds due to excessive expansion from the heat, plus if you do decide to remove the extractors later you'll find it hard to bolt it back on due to warp.

its ok for dump pipes cause its just the one piece.

I'm sure the exhaust guy came across alot of problems with him say that.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU 1 Tonner

NSW, Australia

The exhaust wrap makes them rust and crack they keep any trapped water in.
Our old RX3 race car from work had them on it and the wrap cracked them after a week.
Any car that comes into work with them on i suggest to remove.

To be old and wise you first have to be young and stupid

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
Bluexr6 wrote:

what a load of wank

how can it weaken them?

they are pourous so if there is any water will be able to evaperate out
as thats all i can see affectign the extractors
yaeh.... ive had heat wrap on my extractors for four monthes now n i havent seen any bad side effects.... mayby any defects are in the INSTALLATION of the product, not the product itself....

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:09 am 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

also seen heat wrap on several $15k+ bikes with exhaust systems and mufflers worth over 2k

i highly doubt these guys would be usinins a product that will waste thier 2k exhaust job

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
also seen heat wrap on several $15k+ bikes with exhaust systems and mufflers worth over 2k

i highly doubt these guys would be usinins a product that will waste thier 2k exhaust job
Yeah, with bikes they're already air cooled. its not like in a enclosed engine bay.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

Slick wrote:
Disco Frank wrote:

Yeah, with bikes they're already air cooled. its not like in a enclosed engine bay.

umm dude go have a look at a R1, some ducatis, MV's or any bike with an underseat exhaust
they have little airflow around the pipes and also with the fairings and body panels on the bikes the pipes have very little air cooling

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

NSW, Australia

efbignik wrote:
EXHAUST INSULATING WRAP

The original Exhaust Insulating Wrap was developed over 12 years ago by Thermo-Tec. Exhaust Insulating Wrap is an innovative way to create more horsepower and reduce under-hood temperatures.

Wrapping headers maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures. Exhaust Insulating Wrap withstands continuous heat up to 2000°F, and contains no asbestos.

Thermo-Tec exhaust wrap will not over-insulate a system when properly installed due to a proprietary coating developed by Thermo-Tec - Thermal Conduction Technology (TCT) - that conducts heat across the wrap's surface. This coating controls heat build-up and dissipation.

Thermotec is crap!!! I have used the thermotec wrapping and much to my surprise the underbonnet temperatures dropped dramatically.To drive it though I noticed straight away the lack of power!! The downside I believe is that the heat gets trapped inside the headers and in turn makes the head hotter. I am now very convinced that the cooler an exhaust runs..the better despite popular opinion

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
Slick wrote:
Disco Frank wrote:

umm dude go have a look at a R1, some ducatis, MV's or any bike with an underseat exhaust
they have little airflow around the pipes and also with the fairings and body panels on the bikes the pipes have very little air cooling

the fibreglass body kit acts like a heatsink, it obsorbs the heat & air cools it at the same time. so theres no heat build-up.

Pakrat wrote:

Posted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

USELESS wrote:
efbignik wrote:
EXHAUST INSULATING WRAP

Thermotec is crap!!! I have used the thermotec wrapping and much to my surprise the underbonnet temperatures dropped dramatically.To drive it though I noticed straight away the lack of power!! The downside I believe is that the heat gets trapped inside the headers and in turn makes the head hotter. I am now very convinced that the cooler an exhaust runs..the better despite popular opinion

just spray it matt black.
I hard my headers chrome plated a while back but all it did was make everything hot. sand plasted the frickin chrome off & sprayed it with one of those high temp black paint. alot cooler.

Don't know why I'd chromed it the first place. they look much better on hotrods. :oops:

Pakrat wrote:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next