Fordmods Logo

Help - airbag sensors in EF? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Help - airbag sensors in EF?
Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:26 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

My mate had an accident a few nights ago in his EF Falcon Futura which was in mint condition with only 70,000km on the clock and was had been driven so little by the previous owner that the original headlights are crystal clear and the steering wheel has no wear at all.

My understanding is that he hit the front right hand corner and the airbag came out. When the wreckers rocked up they told him that it was a right off because the airbag sensors cost thousands to replace. They then drove it onto the truck and it is now in their hands.

I have dealt with these exact tow truckers b4 and whitnessed them getting upto some dodgy s**t on an AU Fairmont with slight damage and if they have any interests in EF/EL's then my mate's is definately going to be of interest to them.

I just need to know if what they said about airbag sensors is true, cos from my understanding a new airbag unit just needs to be replaced which i can get him for $200. s/h. Has any1 been in an accident in an EF/EL and had the airbag come out, if so do you have any useful info.

Thanx in advance.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:29 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

If he didn't like or trust the towy's then why did he let the car go?

You can get undeployed drivers airbags on ebay for $100. I even have a couple of grey spares at home.

Passenger airbags are alot harder to find, and may set you back around the $200 to $250 mark.

Brand new from Ford, I think the drivers airbag is around $1000 and a PAB is around $1800.

And the sensors dont need to be replaced, just the bags.

But if there is any chassis damage, and its insured, they will probably write it off straight away. Very rare that any e-series gets fixed nowadays.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

My mate did trust them cos he don't have a clue about cars and he's got comp insurance. So it sounds like he was full of s**t.

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

If he's got full comp, then why the f**k did he let the wreckers decide whether its a write off or not?

I suggest he gets the car back off the wreckers and let his insurance co sort it out.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA2 XR6T

NSW, Australia

it doesnt matter what the wrecker says, its in the hands of the insurance company, or atleast it should be

chances are its a write off anyway, because smash repairers will generally quote for new parts, and it all adds up very quickly

BOOSTED

Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

ch0c0 wrote:
it doesnt matter what the wrecker says, its in the hands of the insurance company, or atleast it should be

chances are its a write off anyway, because smash repairers will generally quote for new parts, and it all adds up very quickly

Thats my point, he's says
Quote:
They then drove it onto the truck and it is now in their hands.
This may be a big mistake especially if the wreckers are thinking that they are buying it.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:48 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

i had a look at it 2day. there's a fair bit on front damage, but it doesn't go pand the radiator support beam from what i could see it needed new airbag, radiator, front bumper, front headlights, front quarter panels, new radiator support beam, bonnet and all the bits and pieces around them.

I also got him to call the insurance company so they could check it out and deciede if its a write off or not.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]