Fordmods Logo

help car has a jolt/jerk 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: help car has a jolt/jerk
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el xr6

VIC, Australia

Help please! i have a manual el xr6 and when i am going up a hill or sometimes just even taking off my car may jolt/jerk as i am driving. This "jolt" sort of feels like a momentary loss off drive to the back wheels and then the power kicks back in very quickly. It started off being rare and now is getting more common.

The majority of the time it happens is when i am going up a hill (doesnt even need to be that steep or large, just a hill..) and the revs are lowish (say about 2000rpm maybe a lil lower) and i am on the throttle it almost feels like something in the driveline just like slips for a tiny split second. it may repeat this again in the next 40 metres but at times it will just happen once. If i then kick it back down a gear so the rpms sit much higher it doesnt seem to happen. E.G there are hills near my house that i used to be able to cruze up easy as in 5th gear going 70-80 but try and do that now and this crap happens. It can get a bit annoying as there are times when i cant shift down a gear (e.g going up my steep driveway in 1st) and giving it more power seems to make it worse

It can happen aswell when i take off aswell sometimes. i am finding it very hard to pin-point what it is as sometimes i think maybe diff and other times i think maybe fuel supply.

any help or discussion would be excellent as it is doing my head in and it is getting worse....

Post subject: Re: help car has a jolt/jerk
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I think your car is losing spark or fuel as you put it under load. Check your leads, spark plugs and distributor. I point the finger at the TFI module on the side of the distributor if everything has been changed.

If ignition is fine, check fuel pump/fuel filter/ fuel regulator.

Does it happen more often as the car is warmer? If it does, then your TFI module might be breaking down under load due to heat...they are prone to die due to heat/moisture.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el xr6

VIC, Australia

actually every now and then (pretty rare) when i go to start it will start very abrurbt and rough. it will run fine straight away but just that initial combustion can be rough..

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:02 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: toyo,2ea,3eb,1ef,1el,zh

QLD, Australia

by what your detailing- its the clutch--iether slipping or else youv snapped the centre out of the clutch plate & it letting go under load & regrabing----also check that you still have free play in your clutch cable

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:13 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Sounds like it could be suffering from a lack of fuel under load. Possible fuel pump/fuel regulator or bad fuel injector/s. My NF was jerking under load for the past 3 months and I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge. Checked out ok so I changed the injectors and the jerking stopped. Runs like a dream now and has plenty of grunt. And mine also idled rough on occasions as well. Not saying this is the problem but something to consider.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: EL F100 CAPRI XR EF

Power: 234 rwkw

SA, Australia

have you checked the passenger side engine mount and gearbox mount. handbrake on and gently ease off the clutch /slip it, have somebody watch your motor.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]