Fordmods Logo

Help EL Falcon Wont start No Spark 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Help EL Falcon Wont start No Spark
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Xr6 Turbo,r33 Skyline GTST

VIC, Australia

Hey guys I'm just looking for a lil bit of help with my EL falcon which won't start (no spark) - The car is an EL XR6 on duel fuel and has a standard falcon engine not the tickford (engine replacement).

Originally I had a few problems with the car it would backfire on gas and miss on fuel, plus not start or stall occasionally. Just recently the car wouldnt start at all and when it did it would drive 500 or so meters and then stall and after leaving it for a while it would restart (would never restart right away)..And then 3 days ago I went to start it and it wouldnt start at all, I replaced the plugs and leads and it ran fine for 2 days, then yesterday it had trouble starting it eventually it started (I drove it to and from work without a problem approx 200km trip) Then when I went to restart it the next day it just wouldnt start, I did the old screwdriver in the lead trick to check for spark and there is no spark at all.

What should I be checking first I presume coil or dizzy but I'm not 100% if I should check something else first or what test to do to figure out the exact cause. I should also add the car used to start on both gas and fuel.

Post subject: Re: Help EL Falcon Wont start No Spark
Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

when was it stalling .. on gas or petrol?

check ya coil 1st against a known good one

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Xr6 Turbo,r33 Skyline GTST

VIC, Australia

Originally when I first got the car it would backfire or stall on gas...just lately (when I was describing the start and stall after 500 meters bit that would have on both fuel and gas).

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

Used to have this problem about 4-5 years ago. Now it progressed in to a crank & not fire issue. No idea what's going on. Best I can tell is that its smartlock or electronic related. Listen for the fuel pump thing as well. I know after I crank if the pump doesn't auto prime again the car is not going to start again on another crank attempt.

As for your immediate problem? Never found a fix to it, would love to know however

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Backfiring, especially on gas, is usually an ignition problem. From what you are describing, I would look at the Hall sensor in the distributor, particularly as you have intermittent spark. When these things play up, they can do strange things.

I had a similar problem, where the car would start, run fine, but if you stopped it, it wouldn't restart. Tried everything from the coil to the TPS, but was pointed to the Hall sensor by a knowledgeable mechanic.

The dizzy needs to be removed and disassembled in order to replace the sensor, but it really is quite easy, and the sensor can be bought from Repco for $100.

DON'T buy a $50 dizzy off Ebay, as it will destroy your aux shaft as quick as look at it, unless you change the gear. The easy way would be to buy a "genuine" dizzy from a wreckers, and refurbish that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]