Fordmods Logo

HELP!!! EL problems starting 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: HELP!!! EL problems starting
Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

HI all in desperate need of some advice.... if worked it out to either being clooged injectors or the crank arm sensor... it stalls as i am driving at 60kms... it had only happened twice... then it wouldn't start for 5 mins... but to day it did it wouldn't start.. so i changed the ingnition coil and distributer cap... the fuel pump winds up and engages.. the motor will rotate but not crank... leads and plugs are only 3 months old and arent cheap... if anyone has any suggestion that says is the fuel rail system i will pleased as someone has told me that a crank arm sensor is in upwards of 180 dollars...
cheers guys

EL1 fairmont ghia with damaged front bumper and right side skirt... due to drifting... has a small hole in the exhaust... shift kit from shiftkits.com.au

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:09 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

sorry guys was very tired last night when i wrote that first message... being underneath my car on the side of a road for 5 hours whilst changing ignition system and waiting for a tow isn't fun... let me rephrase my question...

About 2 months ago my car stalled whilst i was driving normally at 60 kms... i had to puch it into a shop car park as i was on a main road and it wouldn't start... the engine would rotate but not crank... by the time i had finished pushing it started and bam didn't happen again till yesterday...

Yesterday it happened so i waited 15mins and boom... it started... broke down again right round the corner from a repco... this time it wouldn't start at all... so i changed the 3 month old ignition coil and the dizzy cap as it was a little worn... didn't start.... there wasn't any spark coming from the lead... so i gave up and waited for a friend to come tow me... after about 3 hours of sitting i just randomly turned the key... bang started... shut off again 30 secs later... battery went dead before i could try to start any more...

so now i have it sitting out front not running but riding my brothers bicycle to my boss's house to get to work...

cheers guys

P.S. ever tried being towed by a tow rope in a power assisted vehicle with no power.... stomp on brakes hard and reallu turn the wheel... NOT FUN

EL1 fairmont ghia with damaged front bumper and right side skirt... due to drifting... has a small hole in the exhaust... shift kit from shiftkits.com.au

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF wagon & EF fairmont wagon & M

VIC, Australia

fuel pump I reckon

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

what he said ^^^^

and could also be the ignition module (little grey box attached to the side of the distributor that the wires plig into)...

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

When the TFI module is fauty (as above, the grey module on the dizzy) they will generally stop when hot, and if you let them cool down a bit they will go again till they get hot then stop again.

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:43 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB 5Spd

QLD, Australia

i had a similar prob in my ea, turned out to be the coil pickup sensor in the distributor, replaced dizzy and away i went, should have replaced that ifrst i ended up replacing my whole ignition system before i tried that lol

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL

NSW, Australia

My problem sounds similar to yours.

U may be interested in my post. I got to do the night tow as well after 7 hours stranded on a country road with a breastfeeding mum and 10 week old baby.

EL stopped at highway speed and now won't start - no spark in ecu and engine management.

good luck

check your fuel as richard said too.

My EL won't start
With a weak yellow spark
I wish I could get it out of park
My patience is wearing thin
If it doesn't start soon
Its going in the bin

Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

I had similar no start problem with my EL a few weeks ago and got lube mobile to fix it as I was lucky as car was still in drive way. Ended up needing a new Dizzy and ignition coil. Started up again but then had a s**t LOAD of other probs as because it started running totaly crap such as Intake Manifold leak and Fuel injectors were clogged, Exhaust with holes in it like swiss cheese. It was like everything when crap all at once and yeah $2500 worth of repairs she still bogs a bit on start up. But once warmed up she scoots double time and Idles like a kitten 80% of the time

SIGNITURE REMOVED. pics must not exceed 120x500 pixles.

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

thanks heaps for the information guys... im going to leave this one to the professionals and get an auto elec to come look at it... will inform everyone what the problem is... just a suggestion that we should start a sticky with what the problems may be when this happens as it seems to be a pretty regular occurence... thanks again guys all info was muchly appreciated

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]