Help freshening up motor? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Help freshening up motor?
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys,

i have recently bought an XG ute thats done 190,000kms off a bloke that i get the impression didnt know a great deal about cars.

Just wanting to know what are the things a should now check over from a maintance point of veiw on the car to get in running as best as it possible can be?

What things can be done to freshen up the motor and running gear?

Also i know itsprob been covered a few times before but whats the best way to clean out coolant header tank?i am i best just replacing it with a newy?

Any feedback appreciated.
Cheers
Daniel

Post subject: Re: Help freshening up motor?
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

Hi, firstly if u don't know service history, do it all.

start with all filters, fresh oil, coolant flush, brakes bled, then get into the ignition part..new leads, plugs, dizzy, rotor cap etc..If the suspension is feeling tired (or u just want to use that as an excuse) get new springs and shocks aswell as new rubber bushes all round.

also, i don't think its possible to get the washer bottle clean (some have tried and failed i think?) so if your really worried about it, just get a new one

hope this helps

Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

LIke Fordom said, if you don't know, do it all. That way you have a baseline to start from.

To clean the overflow tank there's two ways. First way is remove the entire tank and block off all lines. Throw a bit of pool acid in there (carefully) and let it sit for about half an hour. Turn it upside down and let it sit again. Then tip out the acid and rinse thoroughly and it should come claen.
The other way is remove and block all the holes. Put about 1/2 a litre of water in along with a handful of smallish rocks and shake s**t out of it for a bit. Then flush and repeat until its clean. The hardest bit is getting all the rocks out.

Good luck 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:28 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

yer thought that might be the case.dizzy leads plugs suspension all done, im gunna do the service this weekend if i get time.

In regard to the oil change... can someone recommend a good quality oil to use?and what exactly are the advantages of using good quality oil?

Cheers

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

dahayes wrote:
yer thought that might be the case.dizzy leads plugs suspension all done, im gunna do the service this weekend if i get time.

In regard to the oil change... can someone recommend a good quality oil to use?and what exactly are the advantages of using good quality oil?

Cheers

For all your engine oil queries you should look here - very informative thread - http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/oil-once-and-for-all-t27324.html

At the end of the day a quality mineral oil changed regularly will suit most applications - the better the oil the less friction, the main factor is less heat therefore increased longetivity of the life of the motor and all moving parts. That also opens the door to increased performance and to performance modifications made, in the end as the engine isnt as stressed... (note the gains due to the oil wouldnt be massive but if you're chasing HP every one counts).

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

Nulon 15w 50 FULLY synthetic..costs around 56 a bottle, but it is seriously good stuff.

Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:18 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

Cheers fellas thanks for the feedback

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]