Fordmods Logo

HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement) 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:18 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 81

Joined: 22nd Dec 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: '99 XH XR6 5 SPEED

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Im replacing my cam, how do i release and re tighten timing chain and what do i need? been shown afiew times but keep on forgetting, pictures of posible,
cheers sean

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED DUE TO BREACH OF GUIDLINES.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Age: 42

Posts: 363

Joined: 7th Feb 2007

Ride: BLOWN 347 EB GT/ BF XR6 TURBO

Power: 345 rwkw

Location: eastern creek
NSW, Australia

14mm spanner
5mm allen key
pointy nose pliers

 

_________________

MY CAR PLZ TAKE A LOOK forums/xtt909-update-t66227.html

DAZFAB MEMBERS ,,,,DAZZLE, EBI347, TERRORISTGHIA, TROYMAN ,SWC, XTT909

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 887

Joined: 8th Aug 2006

Ride: Falcon

Location: Central Highlands
QLD, Australia

I have read this from other forums when replacing camshafts...

you can use a broom stick and 1-2 house bricks to keep the tension on the cam sprocket or upright the bonnet with a piece of wood and tie off the sprocket tight to the bonnet latch metal loop with rope or wire.

So no need too loosen the tensioner. Just remember TDC and a couple of cable ties on the sprocket so the timing chain don't move.

 

_________________

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:16 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

that method has worked for some but i wouldnt reccomend doing it that way..

one word...BODGY

i mean how hard is it to unbolt the power steering pump undo the 14mm plug use a 3 mm allen key inside a 10mm tube push and turn it untill it locks to release the tensioner...???
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 27

Posts: 81

Joined: 22nd Dec 2005

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: '99 XH XR6 5 SPEED

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

i actualy dunno how it works, like i know how a tensioner works yes, but how do i know wen i gone to far or its too loose, if is it just 1 setting or is it just pressurised by like a guide on a spring??

 

_________________

SIGNATURE REMOVED DUE TO BREACH OF GUIDLINES.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 1953

Joined: 1st Feb 2006

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

Location: Greenacres/Adelaide
SA, Australia

I used the search function for you....

http://www.fordmods.com/viewtopic.php?t=59820&

 

_________________

Member Number 8804
Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 688

Joined: 4th Mar 2010

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
that method has worked for some but i wouldnt reccomend doing it that way..

one word...BODGY

i mean how hard is it to unbolt the power steering pump undo the 14mm plug use a 3 mm allen key inside a 10mm tube push and turn it untill it locks to release the tensioner...???

possible pelican question but when you tube do you mean a flexible or stiff tube ????

Just curious for future reference

cheers bear

 

_________________

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:19 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

BEAR80 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
that method has worked for some but i wouldnt reccomend doing it that way..

one word...BODGY

i mean how hard is it to unbolt the power steering pump undo the 14mm plug use a 3 mm allen key inside a 10mm tube push and turn it untill it locks to release the tensioner...???

possible pelican question but when you tube do you mean a flexible or stiff tube ????

Just curious for future reference

cheers bear


a stiff tube or a pipe with atleast 10mm o/d
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

pull apart a few felt tip pens until you find the right size tubing :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: HELP How 2 Releas & ReTighten Timing Chain (Cam Replacement)
Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 37

Posts: 688

Joined: 4th Mar 2010

Ride: BF Fairmont Ghia & TS Magna

Location: central coast
NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
BEAR80 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
that method has worked for some but i wouldnt reccomend doing it that way..

one word...BODGY

i mean how hard is it to unbolt the power steering pump undo the 14mm plug use a 3 mm allen key inside a 10mm tube push and turn it untill it locks to release the tensioner...???

possible pelican question but when you tube do you mean a flexible or stiff tube ????

Just curious for future reference

cheers bear


a stiff tube or a pipe with atleast 10mm o/d

thanx for that troyman

Cheers bear

 

_________________

I don't know what to write in here LOL
Bear's Build Thread

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names