Fordmods Logo

Help..Is this possible and if so what problems will i have? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Help..Is this possible and if so what problems will i have?
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford EF Fairmont 1996

NSW, Australia

i know this has been covered many a times and i have done a search but it cant fully answer my question,

so all the help would be appreicated guys :D

Ok so ..... I'm looking at getting this EL XR6 with a T5 manual and putting my current worked AU XR6 engine into the EL so it will have an AU engine and EL t5 box.

Then i want to take the stock EL xr6 engine and put back into my original car which is an EF fairmont. So the EL motor will be matched up with an AU Auto which the AU XR6 came out of.

I'm 99% sure thats possible on its own?

Now what problems will i run into in regard to engine managament. The way i see it is ..... For the EL XR6 with the AU engine and EL box ill need a manual EF ECU to run it as the EL has a dizzy so the original ECU wont run the AU motor.

Then for the EF with the EL motor and Au box ill need a EL auto ECU to run it?

Is that all right??? Or will i need a complete new engine wiring loom?

Or what else will be an issue?

Thanks heaps guys, really appreicate it!!!

Cheers,

Mark

I'de rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

Post subject: Re: Help..Is this possible and if so what problems will i have?
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:12 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

no..

the au engine going into the el will need the dizzy fitted and run the el ecu..

the el engine going into the ef will need the crank sensor , cam sensor and coil pack from the ef engine fitted and run the ef ecu..

the thing is while ef and el are kind of the same car, the electronics are different..
eg, you can fit a ef ecu to a el and vica versa, wiring harneses are completely different..

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:21 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
no..

the el engine going into the ef will need the crank sensor , cam sensor and coil pack from the ef engine fitted and run the ef ecu..

the thing is while ef and el are kind of the same car, the electronics are different..
eg, you can fit a ef ecu to a el and vica versa, wiring harneses are completely different..

What about with the AU engine into the EL, source an EF ECU so as i can run the coil pack? and vica versa for the EF.

But if i did get an EF ECU and put into the EL to run the AU motor would i need the complete engine loom?

Cheers

Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:27 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

fairmont1996 wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
no..

What about with the AU engine into the EL, source an EF ECU so as i can run the coil pack? and vica versa for the EF.

But if i did get an EF ECU and put into the EL to run the AU motor would i need the complete engine loom?

Cheers

you will need to swap engine looms to use ef ecu in el or el ecu in ef..
there are also some dash wiring difference between ef and el but im not sure if this will have an effect on the engine loom swap..

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Also one more thing that you may want to consider , lets say if you own a S3 Au falcon and you blow a motor then the only motor you can get is out of a S2 or S1 which was made only a few months or even weeks before your original block

that is a defect right there in S.A

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:40 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Assuming that the AU motor that you speak of is in the EF.

1) Remove the AU motor from the EF. :D
2) Remove the EL Motor from the XR. :wink:

Parts removal and install.

1) Remove the Cam Sensor from the AU Motor, remove the Dizzy from the EL Motor. Switch them over ensuring that the engines are at DTC.
2) Remove the Crank angle sensor for the AU Motor and fit to the EL Motor. If you have used the AU Crank Sensor in your conversion, you will need to source an EF Crank sensor.
3) Remove coilpack from the AU, remove Coil from the EL and refit. You will need to switch the engine mounts as well. AU/EF Coil is mounted on the left engine mount. Swap over the leads as well as they are different from Coilpack to Dizzy.
4) Remove Engine looms and switch over.
5) Swap alternators, EF/AU is fitted with a 110amp and EL is fitted with 100amp. You will need the 110amp for the coilpack.
6) Switch Fuel regs if the AU engine is fitted with a standard reg as the XR is fitted with a 300kpa fuel reg. If you have the AU Fuel rail on the AU Engine you will need to switch fuel rails as well as the EF/EL fuel regs are not interchangable with AU regs due to the different way they mount.
7) EL Belhousing will bolt up to the AU Engine but will be missing a couple of bolts. AU and E series motors have different lower bolts for the bellhousing. PITA.

While you have both motors out, do the rear main seal and the rear welsh plug. Also do the front seal on the gearboxes. Easy to do when out and cheap insurance.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

What SWC said... But remember that some people (nameless) have run reasonably powerful AU 6's with E series bellhousings and just left the bolts out. Turns out I left a bellhousing bolt or two out last time swapping clutches too. Makes sense - One or two of the ones up the top are real PITA's when in the car. You need three long extension bars, a uni joint AND some nifty girly hands.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

fiend wrote:
What SWC said... But remember that some people (nameless) have run reasonably powerful AU 6's with E series bellhousings and just left the bolts out. Turns out I left a bellhousing bolt or two out last time swapping clutches too. Makes sense - One or two of the ones up the top are real PITA's when in the car. You need three long extension bars, a uni joint AND some nifty girly hands.

thanks heaps for all your replies!
Sounds like a big job haha. But still keen.

Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Take motors and boxes out. Sit them down in the backyard / shed and have a looksee. Swapping over harmonic balancers, crank & cam angle sensors and all the rest isn't that tricky. Is a good learning thing. Getting a donor car (or moving next door to PickAPart or similar wrecker) could be a good move. Doing engine loom and ECU from EF into EL is a possible option to retain the coil pack and the possibility of having a J3 timing and engine tune chip added to ECU rather than running dizzy in EL on AU block.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]