Fordmods Logo

Help me with RPD cam 

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Help me with RPD cam
Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TROYMAN wrote:
ok, best to contact "jaysen" or "mitchg911" by pm, they were the rpd guys and still visit the forum from time to time..and they should be able to help you with the amount that needs to added to the hla for there regrinds..

agreed, pretty sure i seen here on the forums a similar issue and the answer was the RPD cams were a little different to setup than the typical "extra shim" rule as per wade cams

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR6

NSW, Australia

. I run without retainers, 2 shims on a regrind cam (wade though) and no noise or problems.

Did u just get another set of shims that where the same size as the ones al ready in the rocker arms? Cos im about to do it for the 6th time tonight but try this way lol. there shims in my rocker gear i have bought 2nd hand and im trying as we speak to get another standerd size shim out of a Ef rocker gear.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
ok, best to contact "jaysen" or "mitchg911" by pm, they were the rpd guys and still visit the forum from time to time..and they should be able to help you with the amount that needs to added to the hla for there regrinds..

i tried those guys and they didnt want anything to do with me lol. So i guess im just going to keep at it till it done. With the info you guys are handing me. =)

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Ford_Performance wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

i tried those guys and they didnt want anything to do with me lol. So i guess im just going to keep at it till it done. With the info you guys are handing me. =)

what happened? did they say that or is it just that they havnt replied yet??

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Mitchy dude said to talk about it on the fourm and not with him and they ppl on here will sort me out for me. so in a nice way he said Leave me alone i dont work for RPD any more" which is fair enough. no reply from Jaysen yet.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

your lifter when compressed has about 6mm travel.turn the cam to the bottom large radius and measure the gap with feeler gauges.rocker to valve,allow 5mm travel for the hydaulics and thats the shim size required,you have to measure the thickness of the extra shims.

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

As above, I would always measure with a regrind.

I have an RPD r3 cam for an e series which I haven't used, but was advised that they are pretty fiddly with what shims are needed.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:42 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Well guys thanks for you help! but it once again didnt work I just did 2x ford standerd shims with a EF rocker gear in my ED xr6 No luck Heres whats ive done before

ED rocker gear with new lifters. no go.
ED rocker gear with double shims 1.9mm Double. SMashed a rocker arm.
EA rocker gear with largest ford shim 2.4MM No go tapping like crazy.
EA rocker gear with Largest ford shim and New lifters. No go. Tapped a lil less then b4 but still tapp'd
EF rocker gear on its own with new lifters No go. Tapp'd like crazy
EF rocker gear with New lifters and double standerd ford shims No go. Tapped like crazy

The cam came out of a EF xr6 falcon. And i tried putting it in my ED xr6. Its a RPD stage 2 cam Couldnt get specs with it so had to search for hours online and finally found these specs for it

Single pattern cam.
Intake and Exhaust are SAme lobe profile
Lift is 0.265" @ the lobe
Duration is 218Degrees @ 0.050"
LSA is 115 Degrees.

overall This adventure has bein a Epic FAIL adventure Bought tu you by Me. Lol =)

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Ford_Performance wrote:
Well guys thanks for you help! but it once again didnt work I just did 2x ford standerd shims with a EF rocker gear in my ED xr6 No luck Heres whats ive done before

EA rocker gear with Largest ford shim and New lifters. No go. Tapped a lil less then b4 but still tapp'd
EF rocker gear with New lifters and double standerd ford shims No go. Tapped like crazy

The cam came out of a EF xr6 falcon. And i tried putting it in my ED xr6. Its a RPD stage 2 cam Couldnt get specs with it so had to search for hours online and finally found these specs for it

Single pattern cam.
LSA is 115 Degrees.

overall This adventure has bein a Epic FAIL adventure Bought tu you by Me. Lol =)
so whats the problem?i can throw 2 dozen sets of rockers on it,are they all the same ratio?just set 1 set up,measure it and shim it,my engine builder does 8-10 heads a day and he sets them up on the bench,1,2and4 cams,after a service you have to measure for shims.how much reprofiling was done is a guess

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:54 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Ford_Performance wrote:

Single pattern cam.
LSA is 115 Degrees.

honestly, imo throw the cam in the bin and buy a cam that works and is user friendly, like a wadecam..

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

if RPD cams were any good, they would still be in production....
i dont know of any RPD setups that had any decent proven results.

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:55 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yep thats the plans going to buy a NEW cam not regrind and prossibly WADE cam. Ima start searching!

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Ford_Performance wrote:
Yep thats the plans going to buy a NEW cam not regrind and prossibly WADE cam. Ima start searching!

Nothing wrong with Wade regrind cams, they just require 2 stock shims. A lot of people run Wade regrinds without issues. Also a NEW or Billet cam might be hard to come by.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I will confirm whats been said about the RPD cams. They must be meassured and shimmed according to each rocker arm, they arn't reground like a wade cam that is done equally all over, thus requiring the same amount of shims per arm. They are very tricky to get working right. You can get a wade regrind for a few hundered bucks iirc, and they are a lot easier to get running, tune, and they give good performance increase.

Wade will also help you with advice and trouble shoot, very good fellas to deal with.

Personally I'd say take the RPD cam, and mount it in a picture frame and put it up on the wall. In a way its testament to when the mod scene on the 4.0 started to go mainstream, and companies were starting up trying to fill the market niche.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah thanks guys its just i really wanna get the old girl going She only has a pair of Pace maker 4499 long extractors and a 5spd up it. got dyno'd at 132.8 rwkw So its beging for more mods lol. Found a Wade billet cam Brand new Stage 3 $500 bucks thinking about buying it since apparently they dont need shims they just bolt in and run. oh and it comes with the CAm gear too. for that price.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next