Fordmods Logo

Help me with RPD cam 

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Help me with RPD cam
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR6

NSW, Australia

I have bought a 2nd hand RPD cam Stage 2 off my freind he up'dated his Cam so he only sold me the Camshaft its self. The problem is i have a ED xr6 and his was a EF xr6. we installed it and it ate the rocker gear inside the arms. then we tryed different rocker gear it didnt do it but it tap'd crazy like both times. So my problem is Where can i get RPD shims from when there closed? And dose any one have sugestions?

Cam is RPD Stage 2
i need to get it to work in my ED xr6 5spd Any thoughts on how to get it to run. Thats all i wanna do.
Its currently at the stage where it just taps like the valve clearence is wrong which it is cos i dont have the RPD shims that useally are provided with it. uh oh..

Post subject: Re: Help me with RPD cam
Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1992 eb fairmont classic

NSW, Australia

Ford_Performance wrote:
I have bought a 2nd hand RPD cam Stage 2 off my freind he up'dated his Cam so he only sold me the Camshaft its self. The problem is i have a ED xr6 and his was a EF xr6. we installed it and it ate the rocker gear inside the arms. then we tryed different rocker gear it didnt do it but it tap'd crazy like both times. So my problem is Where can i get RPD shims from when there closed? And dose any one have sugestions?

Cam is RPD Stage 2
i need to get it to work in my ED xr6 5spd Any thoughts on how to get it to run. Thats all i wanna do.
Its currently at the stage where it just taps like the valve clearence is wrong which it is cos i dont have the RPD shims that useally are provided with it. uh oh..

i have no idea where u can get the shims from but i'd say its in your valves themselve see before there installed by a machine shop when u get the cam they run the specs on clearance for the cam and all sorts to tech for me lol im only a mechanic but i just got a stage 2 mild race cam from crow cams with xr6 valve springs and big stainless steel exhaust valves and running a tickford ef/el head with the ef/el rockers and i have not had a noise only when it starts up cos the lifters have not bled up properly yet.....i dunno if its giving you any help but just thought its worth looking into

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:36 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

being a regrind cam the shims are usually the factory shims x2 in each rocker between the hla and rocker arm..
you just need to pull the hla out of the rocker arm and add another factory shim to the one thats there...

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

But see we tried that one b4 doubling the standerd shims and it shatterd a rocker arm. im so confused lol

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:44 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

ok, best to contact "jaysen" or "mitchg911" by pm, they were the rpd guys and still visit the forum from time to time..and they should be able to help you with the amount that needs to added to the hla for there regrinds..

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:45 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Since ima newbie umm how do i look for them lol

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF-XR8chaser

NSW, Australia

Ford_Performance wrote:
Since ima newbie umm how do i look for them lol

do a search-
Recipient: mitchg911 [ mitch_G_911@hotmail.com ]

R.I.P HANS HARTMAN

Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EB Ghia

VIC, Australia

Sounds like your jsut doing something wrong.. an RPD regrind shouldn't be any different to wade..

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Well How do you Think we should go about it? 3 people have told me to get a standerd ford shim and put it on top of the other stander ford shim in my rocker gear and thats all i need. But we tried that once b4 maybe the shims could of bein the larger shims not the standerd small size since they come in 1.6mm 1.9mm and 2.4mill sizes. or 2.2 cant remember the last.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:00 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
being a regrind cam the shims are usually the factory shims x2 in each rocker between the hla and rocker arm..
you just need to pull the hla out of the rocker arm and add another factory shim to the one thats there...

The HLA is what?

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:03 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Lash adjuster mate.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Cheers buddy i know what im on about just not used to shorted version lol. Also im about to call my mate up and gte my other rocker gear which has standerd shims in it then im going to put it all in the EF rocker gear and put the double shims in and bolt the C**t down and see if this verdic that evey ones telling me works

Apparently its 2 standerd ford shims and its fine it'll run. so ill try that for the 2nd time hoping a rocker arm dosnt explode lol

Also last Q what about the retainers? The little rubber o rings? I bought the lifters and they don't come with them, nor do they sell them, half of them are perished. Do we need them Not the ones that hold the ball on the end the one on top of it which slides up in the rocker arm

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

People have reported problems with replacing the retainers when running extra shims. I dont run any retainers, in fact i pulled them all out and cleaned the lifters with oil before reassembly.

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Yeah my mate in his E6 Track car his old rocker gear didnt have any retainers in his lifters? an there was no tick i just thought maybe they are there to stop the shim and lifter from moving so much causing them to become unprimed.

Whats evey ones Opinon on Priming lifters how do you guys find the best way is?

Ive heard soak in oil, Put in oil and push end with a metal wire till it suck out the air... then ive heard u shouldnt need to prime them they will be primed all ready. And last of all some say primes lifters u can Squeeze the tops for movment and some say they dont move at all once there primed there Rock solid

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

No need for retainers. They are there to stop them from falling out...especially during re-assembly. I run without retainers, 2 shims on a regrind cam (wade though) and no noise or problems. Always a good idea to clean the HLAs. I cleaned them using kero and soaked them in kero then left them to soak in clean oil after I squashed them. Once they have fully extended I squashed them again and placed them in the rocker arm. Bolted everything down and there was only noise during initial start up, after a drive around the block the ticking pretty much stopped. I'd personally put the HLA in when they are not rock solid...they prime themselves up I believe.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next