Fordmods Logo

Help needed- difference in power range? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Help needed- difference in power range?
Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Hey guys, got a bit of a wierd question.. Ive noticed this since getting the new exhaust upgrade, but something wierd is going on with my XR6.

For some reason the power/torque seems to come in alot later than it used to... Dont understand it myself, but for some reason you really feel the car starting to pull and make power Past 2500rpm nearly close to 3000rpm ... When i first owned it its always fealt strong from 1500rpm upto 4000rpm... Now power and torque seems to come in alot later than that and the car will rev out to 4000rpm alot easily than b4 even in econ mode. :?

Surely adding a new exhaust system wouldnt change the engine/reving characteristics that much?

Or could their be a fualt somewhere in the engine/ driveline that causes this? or am i just being a hypercondriact (spelling) :roll:

Thanks

Hopefully someone can mabe clear this up for me :)

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Bump:

Could it be that i have a flat spot... :?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: Mondeo XR5T

Power: 173 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What type of exhaust system did you get?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Its a 2.5 mandrel bent system w/ a Lukey Race muffler and a hi-flow cat.. :? I mean ive got no idea why it would change the engine characteristics that much, my only real guess is either i have a flat spot, or the plugs and/or leads are fouling up... which is what im gonna check out today.. :?

Got any other type of theory? :? im stumped, i mean its annoying in a way coz i only really do city type driving.. so the car feels like it doesnt have ne real power behind it, well until you go out on the open road that is lol.. :roll:

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I'm no expert with the technical aspect's of it all, but my theory would suggest that you have concentrated on extraction (good), but have you done anything with induction?

You are letting more gases escape, but is she getting enough oxygen in to cope? That may account for her kicking in later on when the rev's are up, and struggling low down.

Only a theory. Other suggestions may be more warranted.

Shugg

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Oh okay well, all ive done air induction wise is the K&N filter and the AUIII Tickford snorkle... :? I noticed a changed in throttle response after those minor mods, but nothing as noticeable as what the new exhaust has done.. :?

Mabe its not getting enough O2 :shock: i will check out vacum leaks and stuff as well, its actually sunny today so i may as well use this time to have a decent look. :)

Thanks, for the help Shugg.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

That's interesting XR. I could probably attribute some of my cars symptoms to what your experiencing too. I too noticed a change when I got a 2.5" exhaust and extractors. Slam the pedal down and shes noisy and gruff with normal to breathless power to 2000RPM, but suddenly spools up and kicks after 2500RPM where you just have to back off the pedal.
The O2 sensor gets moved down quite a bit from the factory headers doesn't it. Does this change the parameters a bit or what. Because on the Pacys it's bolted in a lot lower toward the cat isn't it.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:54 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: EA II Fairmont Ghia S

SA, Australia

I have noticed this in my EA Falcon, as well, i got a 2.5" straight through system with high flow cat and extractors and my power band moved up to 2,500 through to 4,500 rpm.

The exhaust shop said that as there is less back pressure down low the engine needs backpressure to make power. (except when the RPM is up and the exhaust needs to escape quicker.

basically the exhast has just moved the area where the engine is efficient further up in the rev range.

Great for top end power but bad for low down torque.

Fixed it slightly with a RAM Air induction setup, using the bottom half of a EA Air intake box from the wreckers.

Placed it in the front bumper so the air was being forced through the hose opening. and fed a pipe up into the airbox from this (air scoop) only trouble is i have to clean it more often as it gets full of leaves and crap from the road.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: '97 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Same problem but only with a lukey exhaust on, no pacies at this time.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yes as mentioned b4 i have not got extractors either only the factory ones... Im interested to see actually if its still like this after ive done a full tune up... i always thought it may have been a flat spot or something. :?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

XRFan101 wrote:
Yes as mentioned b4 i have not got extractors either only the factory ones... Im interested to see actually if its still like this after ive done a full tune up... i always thought it may have been a flat spot or something. :?

Sorry dude. I assumed you got the lot. Did you reset the ECU since getting the exhaust. I know for a fact something happens to the drivability of the 'E' car when you mess with exhaust, and snorkels and s**t. It has been changed for me with these mods, good and bad. But I'm sure once tuned the right way the system and the mods as a whole will be brilliant.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Kit wrote:
XRFan101 wrote:

Sorry dude. I assumed you got the lot. Did you reset the ECU since getting the exhaust. I know for a fact something happens to the drivability of the 'E' car when you mess with exhaust, and snorkels and s**t. It has been changed for me with these mods, good and bad. But I'm sure once tuned the right way the system and the mods as a whole will be brilliant.

Yes as a matter of fact i have reset the ECU since the new exhaust.. Not too long ago either only about 1-2 months ago i reckon. :? The car actually drove better after i did that? but i dunno doesnt the ECU set its A/F mixtures depending on how the car has been driven b4 hand?

I dont drive fast but i do love to accelerate hard... Mabe the A/F ratios were changed as a result of how i used to drive it...Its possible it uped the fuel but lessened the o2 going in?

Im not sure, i could just be crappin on.... but it might be a theory lol.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Is she auto or manual?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah shes an auto... :roll:

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

That may be a contributing factor. The engine want's to open up more, but the gearing in the auto could be holding it back. Unless you have any major mods planned, have you considered a chip and custome tune?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next