Help rattling noise from engine around 2000rpm to 2300rpm 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Help rattling noise from engine around 2000rpm to 2300rpm
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

ignition and cam timing are different, relative, but very different.
it's just when it's reaching maximum lift hence why changes with timing changes ? in my opinion. which is when the valve train is under the most load.. higher pressures expected from lifters etc.

i have a similar problem with my ute. i'm working on the theory that this is when the lifter is under most pressure and should be pumping up but is not, whether caused by gallery blockage/flow or blow by/thrashed out lifters. having just re-done mine i'm guessing it's the lifters being flogged out in my case, cause everything else in the car has been lol
after market lifters can be obtained quite cheap but some say they don't match the quality of ford lifters... well i know from experience that they don't match the price either so your ahead at least 2:1 with the after market ones imho, and they seem to work fine although i havent changed the whole set.

lucas oil stabiliser took all the noises out of my just on 200,000K EA although i'm reluctant to use it in the vct motor.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

$10 says it's the timing chain rubbing on the cover?? Check for an oil leak up the front of the motor

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

no leaking up the front yet, but why would it be rubbing when its got new guides and where does it rub.

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

low_ryda wrote:
ignition and cam timing are different, relative, but very different.
it's just when it's reaching maximum lift hence why changes with timing changes ? in my opinion. which is when the valve train is under the most load.. higher pressures expected from lifters etc.

i have a similar problem with my ute. i'm working on the theory that this is when the lifter is under most pressure and should be pumping up but is not, whether caused by gallery blockage/flow or blow by/thrashed out lifters. having just re-done mine i'm guessing it's the lifters being flogged out in my case, cause everything else in the car has been lol
after market lifters can be obtained quite cheap but some say they don't match the quality of ford lifters... well i know from experience that they don't match the price either so your ahead at least 2:1 with the after market ones imho, and they seem to work fine although i havent changed the whole set.

lucas oil stabiliser took all the noises out of my just on 200,000K EA although i'm reluctant to use it in the vct motor.

Do you think because of the pressure its creating backlash if you know what i mean.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:07 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Possible Aux gear flange has come loose too.

Does it make a whirring noise or just rattle?

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

more so loss of pressure could create backlash, i just dropped the oil in the au n replaced adding the stabiliser and it's alot quieter than before and the oil pressure has increased. which proves to me this is a bandaid solution and obviously something is worn considerably more than oem standards.

as a general rule of thumb, if increasing oil viscosity over standard improves the symptoms then generally it's a clearance issue. and is also not a recommendation.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Last edited by low_ryda on Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:08 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Krytox wrote:
Possible Aux gear flange has come loose too.

Does it make a whirring noise or just rattle?

Just rattles.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bmwbrent wrote:
no leaking up the front yet, but why would it be rubbing when its got new guides and where does it rub.

I had a brand new bottom end built with all the goodies.. And its developed a rattle with well under 1000km on it..
Welcome to the wonderful world of car troubles buddy...

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

bmwbrent wrote:
Head has never been pulled off since iv owned it for 3years and it's got standard springs but the noise is coming from the front. Could the cogs be worn causing the noise.

Mine does exactly the same thing , I mean Exactly what u have said mine does lol :D

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:26 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
bmwbrent wrote:
Head has never been pulled off since iv owned it for 3years and it's got standard springs but the noise is coming from the front. Could the cogs be worn causing the noise.

Mine does exactly the same thing , I mean Exactly what u have said mine does lol :D

Me too wtf. I changed the cam back to stock. and the noise is gone. and when i replaced the cam to stock i did it without touching the tensioner at all. Im beginning to think valve springs some how.

Any update on yours bmwbrent? im missing my 977b but the noise when its installed is the opposite of comforting.

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Hi, no I still have the noise and I'm starting to think it's the aux drive gear. I think there maybe be a bush and it has worn out, I have been meaning to pull it apart again and see whether it's the problem but havnt yet. But iv also heard that the gear on the dizzy and the one in the motor wear out over time and it could cause the noise to cause it comes from that area so I don't know yet has anyone solved it yet would like to know thanks.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

try twisting your dizzy while the engine is running, even putting a bit of sideways pressure on it.
see if you can hear or feel anything abnormal.

i know you said its a rattling sound, but its worth checking something so simple.

my car recently started making a very strange sound at the dizzy, but unsure what it was as i wire wheeled the dizzy cap contacts and rotor plate then added a tiny dab of oil between the rotor and the dizzy cap centre contact and re seated the dizzy - so i have no idea what the cause was lol.

with the standard cam in, have you noticed if the sound happens at a consistent RPM?
at any engine load, speed and gear?

you mentioned that it sounded to be coming from the dizzy area, are you 100% sure?
if it sounds like its coming from the top end or front of the engine, you could try running the car with no rocker cover on.
its a bit messy, but its helped me find problems in the past.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

I'm 100% sure it's around that area. It happens around 2000rpm all the time load or no load. I will try what you said when I get time.

Posted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ba xr6 ute

VIC, Australia

Hey mate just wondering if u figured out wat the rattling noise was cause iv got it now in my ba after putting crow cams in thanks

Posted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Sorry no i havnt. Havnt got around to doing anything lately because im moving.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next