Fordmods Logo

HELP! temp guage not working. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: HELP! temp guage not working.
Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ba falcon

WA, Australia

my temp guage was starting to "twitch" and show well above halfway after about 15 mins of driving spiritedly, after having the radiator flushed etc the temp guage was still doing the same thing so they replaced the temp sender unit but that didnt change anything so after getting all these bills and not getting anywhere i figured id try buying a temp guage and hooking that up.. so ive done that.. traced the correct wire (good old gregories) and hooked that up from behind the cluster so i know i got the right wire. but the new temp guage reaches the red section as soon as it should reach normal temp. the mechanics said that they tested the temperature checked the thermostat was opening correctly etc found it was running cool if anything and recomended an auto electrician because it was either the temp guage or a wiring problem. now i dont want to pay an auto electrician X amount after already spending so much considering i want to sell this car asap. i also dont see how it could be an electrical problem becase the signal wire from the temp sender i wired seperatly to this new gauge and it is the same. any help would be greatly apreciated.

im not sure this is in the right forum if it isnt could one of the mods please move it.

Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Fairlane (1968)

VIC, Australia

check the actual temp sensor is working properly, and that you have the polarities of the wires the right way round. if its opposite i think guage will run opposite

oh and also check the wire on the sensor isnt broken, and its connected properly (they have a habit of breaking the connection when careless people work on em, a simple lean on with a spanner will brake em)

James

http://www.msnusers.com/picturesofyourcars/zb.msnw <----My baby

Posted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

the sender is new, but i just realised the guage i bought came with a new one, ill try that one when i get some time, the power for the guage is working fine and the light comes on. the signal wire is a single wire and i have run a new one from the engine bay into the car which gives the same results as the original one.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

changed the sender, no change. now ive tried a new guage.. same results.. im pulling my hair out.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

so what youre saying is that youre getting the same results, with multiple senders, multiple gauges, and multiple wires? If so, then try earthing the base of the sender. If it isnt making good contact then the reading wont be accurate. Failing that, the gauge might be telling you the truth?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

the sender is earthed to the engine.. is the boiling point of coolant the same as water? because the gauge shows 100 degrees c after driving for a while.

would radiator flush type places maybe fit temperature gauges as well?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]