Fordmods Logo

help the fairmont is dead .. battery or alternator problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: help the fairmont is dead .. battery or alternator problems
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:30 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ea Monty

SA, Australia

(did a search but found nothing with my exact description)
howdy ive had my car (ea fairmont multipoint) on the road for just a bit over 3 months now.. and when i got it, it had a pretty loud alternator belt squeek.. but ive sprayed belt grip on it, and it would be fine for a few days, but slowly it would come back... volts always stayed on 14.1v dropped to about 13.6v with high beams and stereo on..

over the months ive been watching the voltage slowly drop... even during the day it would run on 12v.. would spray on the belt grip and it would only increase the voltage .5v and last until the car turned off, then it would squeek on restart..

and the past week it has sat on under 12v during daylight.. and 11v to even 10v last night.. when it finally died. started it at work took 3 trys to get it started, but it started up ok. drove to the girlfriends house on 10v, no stereo or air con. got there soon as i parked it, a few minutes later her parents had to drop someone home, so i was asked to move my car.. went out to start it... dead

starter motor sounded like it was barely turning(slowly and struggling)... then after a few trys to start it, it finally turned over and went, left it sitting for an hour trying to get some charge, then i drove it home, parked it in the garage.. tried once more to start it, didnt even turn the starter, it just had a ticking noise..

ok now so my questions..
is this a telltale sign of a particular thing that i can just get fixed, or is it a build up of problems...
the o-ring on the water pump looks shagged, my car is running slightly hotter than it did a month ago, and its colder weather now, cracked the powersteering rack a while back and filled the reservoir to the very top almost overflowing to drive it to get fixed, so that could be leaking

i would like to do the work myself if its not to complicated, but i would like to know what exactly to fix, because i use my car to get to work, and school.

thanks for any help, much appreciated

Ken

Ea Monty: 12 slotters/t5/ef thermos/stezza/2.5" redback catback/climate control conv/white venetian/ Old School Baby

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:58 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: fairmont

VIC, Australia

i had a very similar problem with my mums ed fairmont. check your spark! change ur battery thats the clicking noise u can hear. even my el did that when the battery died. i dont think it would be your dizzy or leads ect im pretty sure its only the battery. but if not start at the spark plugs and move back. there most likely will be a problem there that would of been a reason ur battery died.

97 el fairmont. racing exaust manifold and pipe. clarion mp3 sound system. at the moment damaged fron end. (damn comodors)

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Sounds like the alternator is shagged, particularly if you're only getting around 12v or less while driving. First check the belt is okay, replace if necessary, tension correctly and jump the car and see if this improves things. Get another alternator from the wreckers - wouldn't hurt to have a spare anyway.
Finally, put your battery on charge - they don't like being flat for long periods. If it's getting pretty old, replace it.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

to check the alternator just start (if you can) run it for about 5 minutes and the take the red lead off if it dies yep alternator f**k, if not battery old??
tighten the fanbelts and yeah. if not i don't know

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

!) If alternator and you intend to keep the car for 2+ years spend the money and buy a new Bosch (they are about $40-50 dearer than a rebuilt - Note: the trouble with the FORD alternator is normally the bearing turns in the alloy caseing on rebuild they use a punch to tighten the case to bearing which lasts about 18-24 mths.
2) Buy a hydrometer and test your battery cells , they should all be roughly the same. A cell may be open circuit or short cct , a battery has a life of 4 years how old is yours?

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

If the belt is tight and squeaks then the belt has worn out. replace the belt (best to do all 3 at the same time) and start the car to check voltage. If voltage is still low change the alternator. Do not run the with the battery disconnected as that can damage the computer ect.

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Do not run the car with the battery disconnected ..... oops

Member Number 8804

Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

If your belt is slipping as much as youare suggesting then in all likelyhood the alt is ok. If the belt doesn't sopin the alt, then the alt wont charge your battery.

Once a belt starts to slip, they get a glazing on them which makes it next to impossible to get any decent grip. Change the belt and cross your fingures. Hopefully the alt will be ok for you. It is always better to spen $12 rather than $120.

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

The falcon mitsubushi alternators have the majority of faults in the diode plate.And also another stupid idea of having the reg inside the alterntor makes servicing a mission.But simple all you do get a multimeter and a friend, get your car running with your mate inside with the heads light on high beam,rear demister on and foot on the brake and just check the volatage at the back of the alternator if its less than 13.8volts and it is a mitsubushi alternator would suggest replacement with a Bosch item far better alternator and easy to replace the reg.If you try to get your original alternator rebuilt expect about 6 to 12 month life expectancy.And if your battery looks shabby and doesnt hold charge chuck it away and replce it with new terminals.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]