Fordmods Logo

HELPP!! Code 33 on Airbag light and starting problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: HELPP!! Code 33 on Airbag light and starting problem
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hey everyone, long time reader first time poster.

Anyways I'm going to be selling my EF Falcon Poverty Pack Series 1 soon and require the Airbag light to be rectified for the roadworthy. Problem is I try and clear the code and it REFUSES to clear. It's giving me code 33 which is "Resistor or Passenger Airbag High Resistance or Open Circuit". The Airbag Fuse WAS blown and I have replaced this already. All other fuses look okay. I've tried earthing pin 4 to ground countless times, but I never get the 5 beeps and the code never goes away. :(

My second problem which is not really needed for the roadworthy(but will be good if i can fix for the sale) is that sometimes when you try and start the car, the ignition will turn over countless times before the motor finally starts. It does not seem like a problem with the motor itself(when the motor finally kicks in it runs like a dream), which makes me think smartlock is being a pain in the a*** or there is some type of ignition problem that is causing a delay before the motor gets spark/fuel. Any ideas on this?

Cheers

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:43 pm 
Tyre Shredder

TAS, Australia

As for the airbag, there is a resistor where the passenger airbag would be in base models, this has probably come loose. i understand it is a bit of an a*** to get out.

Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Yeah I read that in another thread, so I got proactive and had a look under the dash and found what I think is the Airbag Resistor.

It's a 2 Ohm Resistor in a grey plastic plug which I found next to the Airbag Module, does this sound like the right one?

I'm having a b**ch of a time getting it out of the plug so will have to try again tommorow.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AUII Fairmont

WA, Australia

FalconFan2007 wrote:
Yeah I read that in another thread, so I got proactive and had a look under the dash and found what I think is the Airbag Resistor.

It's a 2 Ohm Resistor in a grey plastic plug which I found next to the Airbag Module, does this sound like the right one?

I'm having a b**ch of a time getting it out of the plug so will have to try again tommorow.

The resistor is mounted on the dash above the glove box, if you unbolt & pull the dash forward you will see a fluro yellow cable running to it.

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:29 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I believe thats on the later models the wire above the glove box.

I'm pretty sure the one I got out is the right one. Took me about 3 hours to dig out of the plug.

WTF did Ford stick it INSIDE the plug, why not just have it plug into it? Ahh well.. it's out now... the plug doesn't look too pretty though. lol.

Haven't got a multimeter to test the resistor yet, so hopefully it's the problem(fingers crossed)

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Woohoo!! Took the resistor out and checked the resistance... seems to be working fine, cleaned the contacts put it back in and now it's bringing up Code 52 which I was able to clear!

But now the engine starting problem has come back. I tried adjusting the throttle idle position and now the engine is not starting at all!! I'd say it's just a coincidence though as my engine starting problem has been getting worse and worse. Any ideas?? I'm 99% sure it's an ignition problem or some sensor stopping the ignition from firing. Would the crank angle sensor cause this?

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

EF series I has the resistor up near the Airbag module - EFII/EL has it near the top left of the glovebox.
Normally that's all you need to do with resistor errors is unplug them and plug them back in.
The error does need to be fixed before the system will allow you to clear the memory.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
EF series I has the resistor up near the Airbag module - EFII/EL has it near the top left of the glovebox.
Normally that's all you need to do with resistor errors is unplug them and plug them back in.
The error does need to be fixed before the system will allow you to clear the memory.

Ah ok yes I was thinking of an EFII

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:23 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL gli

WA, Australia

Snap0964 you seem pretty switched on with most things, maybe you could help me out with this one. Or anybody else for that matter.

I replaced my pedalbox (during a T5 conversion) and in the process I deactivated the airbag etc. removed and stored it properly. After I put everything back together The airbag light comes on for the 8 seconds. Then after a couple seconds the light starts giving an error code of 32 (Airbag Circuit High Resistance, or Open Circuit)

I have tried taking the airbag out and putting it back in, but still no luck.

If you cant sugest anything should I find a temporary airbag to test? or what code will it give if it is missing the airbag. I would like to know if its the airbag or the plugs/cables somewhere.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

EggHead wrote:
Snap0964 you seem pretty switched on with most things, maybe you could help me out with this one. Or anybody else for that matter.

I replaced my pedalbox (during a T5 conversion) and in the process I deactivated the airbag etc. removed and stored it properly. After I put everything back together The airbag light comes on for the 8 seconds. Then after a couple seconds the light starts giving an error code of 32 (Airbag Circuit High Resistance, or Open Circuit)

I have tried taking the airbag out and putting it back in, but still no luck.

If you cant sugest anything should I find a temporary airbag to test? or what code will it give if it is missing the airbag. I would like to know if its the airbag or the plugs/cables somewhere.

Check all the plugs on the steering column near the brake pedal and check if your horn works.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Oh and I have an airbag you can use to test if you want.

Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

TwistedEL wrote:
Check all the plugs on the steering column near the brake pedal and check if your horn works.
This what I would've suggested, as the nearby area has been disturbed.
You can use a 2 ohm resistor to act as a dummy airbag.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Ok horn works fine, and there is a cable down the steering column that is not plugged into anything. It has 2 wires coming out of it, except I cant see anything else to plug it into.

I will drop into d**k smith and buy a 2 ohm resistor tomorow and see if it works.

Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I picked up a 2.2 ohm resistor because that was the closest they had.
Plugged it in and the same thing happened. Tested without the airbag or resistor plugged in and the same thing happened.

I had a look down near the steering column and found the airbag cable (same style clip as near the airbag) unplugged it and tried placing the resistor in there, but the same code comes up.

Is there anything else i could try?

Post subject: Re: HELPP!! Code 33 on Airbag light and starting problem
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Just figuered may aswell bump this old thread than start another. Anyway I've got the same problem as egghead, horn, and cruise are working and i tried another clock spring.
Also tried a ef2 pab resistor at the plug on the steering column but still showing 32, now from what I've read does this mean it must be the dreaded airbag module or wiring to the module?
Also my horns didn't work, turned out somebody had unplugged one of them though, encase this is still related.
Thanks for any advice.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]