Fordmods Logo

Heyya all, suggestions? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: Heyya all, suggestions?
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: BA XR8 Ute

VIC, Australia

Hi guys, i'm (fairly) new to these forums, by that I mean that i've been reading through them for ages but only just recently made an account.

My question is this:

I have a slightly modified EF gli at the moment, and was wondering what your opinions were on whether I should keep the old EF, or upgrade to a BA and slowly stuff around with it over the next few years. The guys who have moved from E series to the BA + what do you guys think? I've been unemployed for a couple of months but have just got a new job as a security network tech so now I have to decide what to do :wink:

The EF has been dumped about 70mm, hitech headers, hi flow cat and 2.5" exhaust and thats it for the moment.

Ideas?? Much appreciated 8-)

Post subject: Re: Heyya all, suggestions?
Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

BA would look more respectable in the career department!

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: FG 50th Anni G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

matty340 wrote:
Hi guys, i'm (fairly) new to these forums, by that I mean that i've been reading through them for ages but only just recently made an account.

My question is this:

I have a slightly modified EF gli at the moment, and was wondering what your opinions were on whether I should keep the old EF, or upgrade to a BA and slowly stuff around with it over the next few years. The guys who have moved from E series to the BA + what do you guys think? I've been unemployed for a couple of months but have just got a new job as a security network tech so now I have to decide what to do :wink:

The EF has been dumped about 70mm, hitech headers, hi flow cat and 2.5" exhaust and thats it for the moment.

Ideas?? Much appreciated 8-)

Buy my BA :-) Modded and everything already! best of both worlds!

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

very much will depend on what purpose the car is for, if its daily then def BA, but if its a toy then you have to decide if your willing to give up the EF, but having a low as car when your tryin to look profession at work isnt the best thing either, personally id try keep both BA as daily, EF as weekend toy but if had to choose id go BA

but thats just my opinion

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:36 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I will only need to be "respectable" vehicle wise on the days that I feel I have nothing much on and decide to go sales repping, and then I would be in a company vehicle. Most of the time i'm crawling through a roof, running cables down walls, setting up security cameras etc.. covered in plaster and sawdust so it doesn't matter a whole lot.

To keep the EF and have it as a sole vehicle, I will have to do some things to it fairly soon, such as shocks because it rides like a 300lb hooker, you feel every bump :cry: On that, will the short shocks you can buy help it noticeably or is it a waste of money?

I am leaning towards the BA atm though, some very respectable, classy rides going around. A black on black monty 'paps? :D

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU fairmont ghia

ACT, Australia

matty340 wrote:
To keep the EF and have it as a sole vehicle, I will have to do some things to it fairly soon, such as shocks because it rides like a 300lb hooker, you feel every bump :cry: On that, will the short shocks you can buy help it noticeably or is it a waste of money?

well if your running your car 70mm lower which i am assuming would be superlows, then of course your gonna feel every bump like a "300lb hooker" (ha ha nice description) if your shocks are standard?, id look into boge short shock as have read many people here swear by them... might be a option to look into...

AU FAIRMONT GHIA: 5.0 Dealer ordered SVO mods ( seeking clarification ATM), tickford suspension.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:15 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I think it was (roughly) 60-70mm from stock height or so. Ultra low kings under it. Thanks for the info, I shall look into them. Also, I have to get some pics of the car, its a really weird green and I wanted to see if anyone on here knows of a wreck in the same colour. There's only 3 of them in Mildura where I live, and funnily enough, my mrs has one of them haha.

Yes, the 300lb comment was on the money, although I do not speak from experience on this topic haha.

Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Lol ultralows with standard shocks, its probably bottoming out big time so short shocks would be a wise investment indeed. Boge would do just fine. Keep the EF, they're good reliable cars :mrgreen:

Id keep the EF, then later on upgrade to something that looks good and has class. Hell, even a nice EL Fairmont Ghia in mint condition would be respectable vehicle wise 8-)

That 300lb hooker phrase was on the money alright :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Yeah you are right about the older fairmonts. Although, I think i've made the decision to go for a BA monty I think.

Hey guys, anyone been running DEV packs? To me, they sound a bit expensive for what they are. If you could substitute some personally sourced stuff instead of running a full DEV pack, you'd be well out in front wouldn't you? Was just wondering thats all..

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

DEV packs as in the JMM kits? Like DEV-1, 2, 3, 3HL and so on?

Personally i think they are a bit expensive, they seem to give good gains although a lot of people claim that the dyno they use is a bit generous. You could always buy the parts from other places, camshafts for example can be bought from Wade Cams for excellent prices compared to JMM. You can get extractors and exhausts from a lot of places for a good price and they would all give similar gains to what the JMM kits would give.

They quoted me over a grand ($NZ) for the DEV3HL cam and valvetrain kit (cam gear etc). First impression was :shock: lol. I could get a billet cam and cam gear for well under that price from other places.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:32 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Even with currency conversions, that still makes me cringe..! I say it would be a darn sight cheaper to, like you say, just source it elsewhere. I thought I was ripped for my exhaust for the EF, at a grand for hitech headers, hi flow cat and 2.5" cat back, which I think is lukey. It was done by carline so i'm guessing it was lukey. Great service though, dropped it off at 5am and picked it up when i finished work at lunch time even though they were booked out for ages. I still owe him $350 for the job from months ago because I lost my previous job :roll:

Ohwell, its all being paid now. Thanks for your advice guys! :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]