Fordmods Logo

hi all. looking at getting an ef fairmont ghia. any tips? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: hi all. looking at getting an ef fairmont ghia. any tips?
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:34 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I've actually been a car enthusiast for a while, but I am now considering getting a nice cruiser car which I will also use for work purposes.

The EF fairmont really catches my eye and a few really good ones are floating around the trading post / car yards. I'm not exactly sure if there are any problems with the EF, except I just read that the 6-cyl is prone to headgasket failure?

Is there anything especially important I should be checking in these cars before I get one (ie any common problems due to kms, age, wear & tear).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1994 Ford EF Fairmont Ghia Sedan

VIC, Australia

basically if ya troll through this forums you will find a few things, but off the top oif my head:

if over say 220,000 kms then check the auto

check auto oil to see if it is black/burnt

take it for a test drive and see how the idle sits

check head lights if they are yellow or not

make sure a/c and climate control works

these are a few things off the top of my head that i can of atm. I am sure once others have woken up, they will post some more :wink:

1994 ford fairmont ghia - Currently 302 with T5 - Work in progress :P

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

cheers for that.

i read in a thread re kilometres started by Ef Mont Ghia that about 200,000+ you need to perhaps rebuild the auto/trans and even engine block.

i've seen some ef's odo readings as low as 130,000-160,000k's - you think it's worth shelling out the extra $$$ (perhaps $1000 more) for the lower k's?

i plan to keep the car for perhaps 1-2years.

thanks for all those other tips. i will be checking that stuff out.

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

WA, Australia

all depends on how the car has been driven/treated - i'd rather have a well-driver car with 200,000kms than one that has 100,000kms but has been thrashed. just make sure you check it over well, and get an RAC check or something done on it - very worthwhile :wink:

R.I.P. Scotty

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Yeah the lower mileage the better IMO and worth the money, which you may well save not having to repair.

I wouldnt think the trans needs a rebuild after 200+... assuming its been looked after (very hard to tell unfortunately). If the boxes are neglected they are not likely to reach that distance.

Yeah check idle quality, may indicate dirty fuel system or sub-par ignition system.

Have a listen at cold startup for noisy lifters.... characterised by the sound disappearing once the oil gets going and the lifters bleed up.

Check for noises in steering/suspension. The engine/trans have great durability when well serviced but suspension/steering components may have been neglected.

Check for all accessories/electrical items. Fairly easy to fix that kinda stuff so may be agood bargaining point to knock a few bucks off the purchase price.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:48 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: XRGLi EF

WA, Australia

Kms mean very little when u are talking about cars this old....... as ugly bob said that it depends on how they have been treated.... my mate just bought a EF with 130k on it and he has nufin but trouble with it... mine now has 217k on it and have had it for a year and half now and have not had a problem simply bcoz it had been well looked after a regularly maintained........ as long as the auto tranny has been serviced once or twice in its life it should be all good

BA XR8 manual ute black

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EF II Fairmont

WA, Australia

Just seconding what azza said.. My car's done 208,000 km now and I've owned it since about 178,000 and not a single problem.. but I know people with the same car and have more problems than I do with less k's so it really is just down to how hard of a life it's had. :)

*touches wood*

-charzar.

1995 EF II Fairmont
30mm lowered Lovell's springs and KYB shocks
AU XR8 snorkel

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Esky

WA, Australia

ive had my car for 2 years now bought it at 184000 ive now done 222000 and its still purring very nice, regular servicing and she will go for ages :) no problems at all.

Team EGO

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

My 96 EF II GLI has done 253,000ks and its still the best condition one I've seen inside and out. The engine is awesome. Hasnt had a head gasket change yet and it has no leaks. Makes s**t of power for a stock I6.

Auto is a bit worn but its fine in power mode. I get 650-700ks out of a tank of fuel.

Ks dont mean anything for me. I've bought two Fords over 200,000ks and I havent had any trouble with either of them.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

thanks guys. looks like the I6 is quite resiliant... i wonder when the inevitable cylinder warping happens on this engine? it must be well over 200,000 clicks because it looks like lots of guys are still running the original internals without needing a valve job.

i suppose as long as it's done say 190,000km or less it should then be down to condition.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

Above all, check the coolant, if it is brown, be very careful, if you do buy one, get the radiator cleaned professionally, straight away, check every button works, windows etc, did i mention check the colling system?and if you gat a series 2 Ghia, EF, you get the XR motor, LSD diff etc.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

if u got the money i would go for the lowest km's possible check for oil leaks behind the timing cover this is common, cooling system seals on the radiator tanks, see if there is scum floating on the surface of ur coolent, elect windows can also play up. if ur not sure get a rac/nrma check there good.

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el fairmont

WA, Australia

i hav an el fairmont and the features are great but if u want the works go a ghia XR6 motor, better susp (car is lower factory std), premium sound system, leather seats(i hate them in summer) wood grain dash, LSD diff, better mags look at factory specs for more...

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

If you do get an EF fairmont Ghia 6cyl make sure you get a series 2 as then you will have the Tickford enhanced 6 init :D Also check that all electrics are working properly such as windows, climate etc.

Good luck they are nice cars :P

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED WotGLI

SA, Australia

fairmonts are a little easier to drive around the city. Extended wheelbases can be a bastard. A lot of them can also have condensation problems in all lights including indicators. Nice cars though, can do alot to them and the torque control dramaticly improves take off speeds.

I don't hate holdens. They're a fine car. I just hate holden drivers.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]