Fordmods Logo

Hi comp 6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Hi comp 6
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:45 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I was just wondering how much compretion an AU 6 would be able to handle as some people say 9.9 to 1 but i want to run 10.5 or 11.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:46 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

sorry that should have been compression

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I have seen static CR's of >13, but I am assuming you are going to be running pump fuel.

What cam is going into it? The 'bigger' the cam, the more compression you can/should run.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Not sure about cam it all debends on what comp i can run but it should be about a stage 3 or 3.5 it's only going to rev to 6000 or 6500 as i would like some sort of reliability

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Stages dont mean anything - you need to get the cam specs first.

Start by picking the cam you want. You then work out the static compression ratio needed to get a good dynamic compression ratio out of the engine. ACL have a piston that will give you a static CR of 10.2 with a standard head. If you want more, shave the head until you reach your target CR.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ok thanks i just E-Mailed wade cams to see what they recomend but i might turbocharge the engine but i'm going to research the NA route first

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:45 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Rather than deckinig the head you could run a piston with a flat top crown to up compression.

Skimming the head excessively leaves you nowhere to go if you need a head reco down the track.

AU pistons already have a flatter crown which is *almost* a flat top to start with. No to mention the AU metal head gasket which has a thinner compressed height than a comparable normal gasket.

You need to check these things during the dummy building and blueprinting process. You will need a graduated burette and half a clue to do it at home but its not impossible.

Aaron

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

aaron_hogan wrote:
Rather than deckinig the head you could run a piston with a flat top crown to up compression.

Skimming the head excessively leaves you nowhere to go if you need a head reco down the track.

AU pistons already have a flatter crown which is *almost* a flat top to start with. No to mention the AU metal head gasket which has a thinner compressed height than a comparable normal gasket.

You need to check these things during the dummy building and blueprinting process. You will need a graduated burette and half a clue to do it at home but its not impossible.

Aaron

Those ACL pistons I mentioned are flat tops, so you only have 2 choices for more compression - get some custom made domed pistons or shave the head.

Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i just need some cam specs for my computer so i can get a rough graph of the KW and the torque at the flywheel before i decide to go NA

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:03 am 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

your computer has a cam?

point taken on flat tops, same same, but seriously there is a thrid option and that is zero decking the block. Not really an option for most people as it does involve considerably more work in the total build.

All these little things add up to a comp increase. Although i'd rather have something that COULD live on a diet of PULP than having to pour in additives all the time.

EA SVO Fairmont Ghia - Recaros, Bilsteins, Sunroof, SVO rims and body kit, Genie headers, DBA rotors. T5 steeda triax short shifter. 3.27 lsd. (EL 4.0 ported/polished, rebuilt and balanced, Dev5 cam. J3 chipped EL ecu, AU injectors).

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i have a program on my computer called desktop dyno you imput the specs of the engine you want to build and it gives you a rough idea of flywheel power and torque in a table format and a graph it's really good i've used it on 5 engines we've built and after we've run the car on the dyno and taking in to account driveline lose it's fairly close

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

what size combustion chamber does a standard 6 have because to run 10.5 to 1 i'll need a total combustion chamber size of 71.81cc

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]