Fordmods Logo

Hi Guys Could I Get Some Advice on My Air Intake 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Hi Guys Could I Get Some Advice on My Air Intake
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:30 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Hi Guys I have a EF 6cy Auto on petrol and LPG.
I got a complete air intake from a EL given to me. What I would like to know is if the EL air intake better then the EF's air intake ?

I have see a lot of custom ones and they all kinda look like the EL's air intake. as in one pipe from the TB to the filter

Any Advice would be most welcome
Thanks
Luc

Post subject: Re: Hi Guys Could I Get Some Advice on My Air Intake
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

Lucion wrote:
Hi Guys I have a EF 6cy Auto on petrol and LPG.
I got a complete air intake from a EL given to me. What I would like to know is if the EL air intake better then the EF's air intake ?

I have see a lot of custom ones and they all kinda look like the EL's air intake. as in one pipe from the TB to the filter

Any Advice would be most welcome
Thanks
Luc

I don't know if the EL one is better, but for a relatively cheap upgrade i used a ba intake and xr turbo snorkel on mine.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

When comparing EF with EL intake pipe work, the EF has better flow but gets a little hotter. If you want an improvement you need to look at the pipe work off off a BA. Most of the custom metal ones are made from 3 inch diameter metal pipe and flow the same basic path that all the factory intake pipe work takes from ef-fg

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:17 pm 
Smokin em up

head_ache wrote:
When comparing EF with EL intake pipe work, the EF has better flow but gets a little hotter. If you want an improvement you need to look at the pipe work off off a BA. Most of the custom metal ones are made from 3 inch diameter metal pipe and flow the same basic path that all the factory intake pipe work takes from ef-fg

Ah thanks guys. Seeing I got it for nothing I was just wondering which would be the best. I cant really afford to spend money to buy any BA pipe work. I was thinking of cutting the bottom out of the airbox and running the pipe down to the front bumper and having it sucking air from there either in front of the radiator or from the other opening next to it. But that will have to wait till I get the roadworthy on it. But thanks your your advise so far

Luc

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

the el intake has a white reducer inside the piping dosn't it? If it does try remove it and that will increase the flow. Im pretty sure im thinking of the EL piping.

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:59 am 
Smokin em up

[quote="Chargd"]the el intake has a white reducer inside the piping dosn't it? If it does try remove it and that will increase the flow. Im pretty sure im thinking of the EL piping.

:D Dose not seem to have one in there. The guy who gave it to me might have pulled it out.
which is a good thing. like I said before all the custom piping looks like the EL set up so I might as well give it a go its not like its going to cost me and thing but time hey

Thanks for your help Chargd. Oh I finely painted my rear bumper came out ok.
Its on my thread is you interested in looking...needs a cut and polish I can do all that now that both bumpers are painted :D

All the best
Luc

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Anyone got a pic of the white reducer inside the EL intake piping? I'm guessing it's white plastic?

Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

There is no reducer as such.

There is a 50mm outlet from the air box lid in the EL-AU models.

The EF has a 80mm outlet and a trumpet intake.

I have no idea why ford did this for the later models as it reduces the air flow.

The EF 'BBQ Plate' as it is known, is considered to be the better flowing factory intake.

On my EL engine in my EB I used an AU pipe on the throttle body across the BBM, then an EL elbow into a 3" alloy pipe into the EF airbox lid, and retained the factory bellmouth intake.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]