Fordmods Logo

Hi stalls- who's got them and what type/brand? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Hi stalls- who's got them and what type/brand?
Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just about to install a motor in an el that received the full Jim mock treatment in the top end i.e. dev5 cam and race series head. Previously it was in a manual car so it really wasn't an issue but now it's going to be playing house with an auto I'll definatly need a hi stall. I've seen the tci brand ones on eBay and a quick google provided some not so great reviews from some v8 boys so I'm not sure what to do. I would have bought one of jmm's items but now that they've closed up shop that's out of the question. Any suggestions appreciated.

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Post subject: Re: Hi stalls- who's got them and what type/brand?
Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

You could go $$$ Dominator

Or you could try http://www.asnutp.com/ ....... i bought one from them few years back for my EF and price was very fair, and they were very descriptive about the work that was done. Just make sure you get something around 3500rpm

Dont bother with the 2800rpm

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Why so high in the range?

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Why so high in the range?

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

i had dyno readings done after a custom tune, with a 1521a, and torque peaked near 3500rpm

so thats where you want it. I have no idea where the mock engines make peak torque, but being a 'race' head you would think it would be very similar

remember its only gonna jump that high if you stomp on the loud pedal off the line........... othewise driven normally a good stall will behave like factory. Theres also every chance a '3500rpm' stall will only jump to 3000rpm for example if the car doesnt have the power you think it has.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

I had a tci 3000rpm unit behind mine with no complaints. My cam makes power from around 3200 and was running the log manifold so torque below 3k was only slightly better than stock. From a stand still the tci would stall at around 2700 which was about spot on for my setup, launched hard without frying the treads. Slip when accelerating was about right too, not too much but better than the stock unit. As mentioned in above post if you drive it sedately it almost feels like a stocker but gear changes are silky smooth even with high line pressure.
I have recently gone manual and broad band manifold, and with the broad band setup came a vast improvement in low down torque. I reckon my current setup would easily have pushed the converter to 3, resulting in heavy fines and impounded vehicle (self control isn't my strong point).

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I had a tci 3000rpm unit behind mine with no complaints. My cam makes power from around 3200 and was running the log manifold so torque below 3k was only slightly better than stock. From a stand still the tci would stall at around 2700 which was about spot on for my setup, launched hard without frying the treads. Slip when accelerating was about right too, not too much but better than the stock unit. As mentioned in above post if you drive it sedately it almost feels like a stocker but gear changes are silky smooth even with high line pressure.
I have recently gone manual and broad band manifold, and with the broad band setup came a vast improvement in low down torque. I reckon my current setup would easily have pushed the converter to 3, resulting in heavy fines and impounded vehicle (self control isn't my strong point).

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ebxr82nv wrote:
I would have bought one of jmm's items but now that they've closed up shop that's out of the question.

JMM has closed up shop ????....really ????.....when was this ??

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
ebxr82nv wrote:
I would have bought one of jmm's items but now that they've closed up shop that's out of the question.

Earlier this year apparently. Only read about it the other day on aff

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ebxr82nv wrote:
cjh wrote:
ebxr82nv wrote:

Earlier this year apparently. Only read about it the other day on aff

Seems to be the way of things these days.....up & running, then about 2 to 5 years later....gone.... :|

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Wonder if they would sell the cad for their billet e-series head......

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Stupid double post.

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Yep, it seems JMM was liquidated in May and everything was sold up.

www.dominiongroup.net.au/cms/webroot/se ... m+Monk.pdf

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The big question is what will you be using the car for? If you plan to do a lot of drag racing, you might be happy putting up with a lot of slip around town. But if it's a daily driver, do you really want to be revving 3,000 rpm under light acceleration?

I have a reasonably mild cam in my EF - basically one step up from the XR6. Peak torque is around 3500rpm, but is really strong (nearly flat) from about 2800rpm. I had the stock torque convertor modified and ended up with a 2800-2900rpm stall. It's a daily driver, and 2600-2700rpm would have been better suited to the mix of driving I do. But I love it anyway. It launches hard, with no loss of traction on most surfaces - just straight into the torque mountain and boogie (a nice tight LSD helps). Around town, under light/moderate acceleration (15-20% throttle), it revs about 2300rpm, and the revs basically don't drop on the upshift. It feels noticeably weaker than my stock(ish) AU2 VCT under light/moderate acceleration, because of the extra slip. If I increased the stall speed over 3000rpm, it would melt the GSD3s on every launch. Any more stall would be too much for my EF.

I understand that the Dev5 cam is way hotter, so more revs would be needed to launch well. But 3500rpm still sounds high. Getting the stock convertor high-stalled was very cost-effective - only about $300 (with the trans already out). Whether you buy new or get your factory one modified, you won't know what the stall speed will be until you run it in the car - it depends completely on your specific torque curve.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I agree, although the tci converter in mine must have been more progressive as normal town driving would only spin it to around 2000, and didn't feel much different to stock until you put your foot down.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next