Fordmods Logo

High rev's in park? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: High rev's in park?
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:44 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, I had a bit of a search but I couldn't find anything, so I'll just ask..

I have an auto EF fairmont..
Last night I was driving and the first time I parked, and put it in park, the rev's went high, just under 2,000, and I thought that was a bit weird but I just turned the car off and didn't think much of it... Then when I drove back home, the same thing happened, and now today, whenever I put it in park after driving, the revs go high. Doesn't happen when I start the car, or when I'm in neutral or at the lights..

Any idea what it could be? I had a look at the engine while starting and while sitting there, and it doesn't try and jump out or anything so I don't think it could be a broken engine mount, and everything else is normal, accelerating, cruising at 100 etc..

and also in the meantime, will turning the car off while it's reving so high be bad for it? I can just turn it off in drive or neutral and then put it into park if it'll be better for the engine

thanks

Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

take it to a auto place and get them to do a diagnoses on it,could be the inhibitor switch on the side or something inside it.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

ahh ok yeah i think i might have to..

would something like a faulty inhibitor switch cause problems like that? i was under the impression that if the switch broke the car would not start at all due to not knowing its in park, or can it cause multiple types of problems?

Posted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

I'm actually starting to think that it's something to do with the engine, possibly the ISC or something, that when it's getting hot, is letting the car idle really high, as it happens in park and N when the engine is hot..

I know, I know, I should just take it to the mechanic, but I've got exams at the moment so don't really have the time, and if I can fix it myself I'd much rather do that as money is scarce..

I just gave the ISC and air intake and everything a good clean, the throttle body looked pretty clean so I dont think that's doing anything.. I have always had a small vacuum leak, could it have gotten worse and be doing this?

I'm about to go and check all the vacuum hoses, grrrr

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]